Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting two routers to extend wifi range?

MatthewWade
Follower

Connecting two routers to extend wifi range?

I could not find a definite answer/suggestion on the internet, only partial answers, unfortunately, so here I am bugging this community

I have two routers Currently connected via ethernet cable where the Nighthawk AX6RAX50 is the primary router and the R6300 is the secondary. The R6300 is setup as AP, and the Ethernet cable is connected to the WAN port (I am still not sure if this was a good solution or if it is the cause of the problem).

The AX6RAX50 is set up with the two guests wireless networks using different SSID and Passwords as the 5GHz guest wireless network is used to segregate the IOT (thermostat and front door camera), while the 2.4GHz is a Guest network for actual guests.

The R6300, I discovered that when used as AP will also extend the Wireless networks (I set them up with different SSID for the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz), however it would not extend any of the Guest network, so because of that I have turned the broadcast of the Guest networks OFF on the R6300.

I have devices and computers connected wirelessly and via ethernet on both routers and most of them have IP Reserved addresses which are setup in the AX6RAX50.

Here is the Issue, My IOT devices are near the secondary router and away from the primary, so the connection is somehow poor, especially to the 5GHz Wireless network, which is a must use for the security camera.

Is there a way that I can connect the two routers so that I can use both guest wireless from the R6300 in addition to the ones from the AX6RAX50?

My preference would be to use the 2.4GHz and 5GHz guest networks of the R6300 for the IOT's and the two Guest networks of the AX6 for actual guests. 

Is it doable, somehow?

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Connecting two routers to extend wifi range?

Sadly no. 

In access point mode, the guest network option is disabled. 

https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7