Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DNS Issues after firmware upgrade

CKopp
Apprentice

DNS Issues after firmware upgrade

I recently upgraded to the V1.42.84_1.3.42 firmware verison on my router. Since the update I am seeing random DNS timeout errors (the probe errors). In most cases, the time out is replaced within 1-2 sec by the actual request going through.  I have verified that this is happening across any DNS service I specify at the router (ISP, cloudflare), and happens accross various local machines, whether on wired or wireless connection. The problem goes away if I specify dns settings on the local machine. 

I used fiddler to analyze browser traffic, and can see it occurs when a DNS cache validation happens.  It would appear i am first getting a DNS timeout, rapidly followed by the actual request going thorough.  Interestingly, I have not seen this behavior on the sole IOS device on the network, an IPAD. Not sure if it matters, but I have armor installed.

As this behavior appears to directly correlate to the firmware update, and in searching the forums I have seen similar issues on other Netgear routers reported with the latest fireware, I am wondering a few things:

1. How many others with the 7960P routers seen this issue with the .84 firmware?

2.Is Netgear aware and working on a fix?

3. If I decide to roll back to the.68 version to fix (as several others have reported on similar model routers) what secuirty updates do I give up?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 38

Accepted Solutions
CKopp
Apprentice

If I enable IPV6, what option should I be using?

Auto Detect?

6 to 4 tunnel or?

View solution in original post

Message 37 of 38

All Replies
plemans
Guru

2 things you can try. 

1. enable IPv6. 

2. set your own dns provider for both the standard DNS entry and the IPv6 entry. 

If those don't help, then I'd downgrade. 

Message 2 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Was a factory reset and setup from scratch performed after v84 was installed? 

Maybe @onepiece can lend a hand? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Re-R7960P-firmware-not-upgrading/m-p/2158157...

Message 3 of 38
onepiece
Tutor

@CKopp I have reset and flashed to the latest .84 version as well but have not seen these DNS issues yet.

I would also recommend to disable armour and verify once as I don't have armour enabled and don't see these issues.

Message 4 of 38
nvizi
Tutor

We are having similiar issues with multiple clients. The router seems to be blocking websites on the DNS level. Not sure if the BitDefender that is installed on the routers have something to do with it, but websites like logmein, teamviewer, logmein client can't connect, godaddy, etc. And it's all on a perfectly clean OS. 

It is just like this writer said, they will not connect at first, but if you keep refreshing, eventually you'll get in. All browsers working the same way. It appears that doing a flushdns or restarting the computer will allow one entry, but then all websites will start doing the same thing again. Want to blame Comcast, but no issues reported. 

There is no virus protection or non default firewalls in place. Windows 11, Windows 10. Have not tried an Apple, but I'm sure the same problems would happen. Have removed the default McAfee and all Lenovo Software that came on this Yoga, currently running Win11 with all updates. Was working perfectly fine for the last three months, then since the firmware upgrade on the NETGEAR, refresh, refresh, refresh, refresh, refresh, refresh, aaaaahhhh!!!!

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 5 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Is Armor enabled on the router? 

Try a reset and setup from scratch and do not enable Armor, Access Controls or Traffic Meter. 

If all else fails, revert FW back to what was working on the router. 

@nvizi wrote:

We are having similiar issues with multiple clients. The router seems to be blocking websites on the DNS level. Not sure if the BitDefender that is installed on the routers have something to do with it, but websites like logmein, teamviewer, logmein client can't connect, godaddy, etc. And it's all on a perfectly clean OS. 

It is just like this writer said, they will not connect at first, but if you keep refreshing, eventually you'll get in. All browsers working the same way. It appears that doing a flushdns or restarting the computer will allow one entry, but then all websites will start doing the same thing again. Want to blame Comcast, but no issues reported. 

There is no virus protection or non default firewalls in place. Windows 11, Windows 10. Have not tried an Apple, but I'm sure the same problems would happen. Have removed the default McAfee and all Lenovo Software that came on this Yoga, currently running Win11 with all updates. Was working perfectly fine for the last three months, then since the firmware upgrade on the NETGEAR, refresh, refresh, refresh, refresh, refresh, refresh, aaaaahhhh!!!!

Message 6 of 38
CKopp
Apprentice

How do you disable Armour, I see no option for that.

PS.  Another friend of mine has started experiencing the dns issue aftter router upgrade. I don't beleive she has Armor installed.  I could downgrade, but before I do, I want to know what secuirty fix i would be giving up.

Until then, or until they issue a fix, I am working around it by stting DNS at the individual workstation level.

What happened to Netgear QC?  😞

Message 7 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

Thru the NH app on the Armor tile there should be a slider button to disable it or an option to disable it. 

Best way to ensure it's disabled is to factory reset the router and setup from scratch and don't enabled it after the router is setup. 

Message 8 of 38
CKopp
Apprentice

Yea, there is no option for diabling the Armor App. Clicking on the tile in the web interface does nothing.  Clicking on the tile in the Android app just takes me to a Security report type page.  Given the problems with getting these routers to download firmware updates that i have experienced, I am loath to do a full factory reset.

I am contemplating trying the IP6 enablment work around, even though I do not want to use that on my LAN side.  If I enable it, then it creates an IP6 address on my wan side?

Otherwise, my workaround of specifying dns settings on workstations seems to work ok for now (although I will try to install the next firmware upgrade when relased.

P.S.  Friends have reported the same DNS issues with this router, and I have them sucessfully using this work around also.

Message 9 of 38
CKopp
Apprentice

Also to clarify, I assume that when one does a factory reset, it returns to the orginal base firmware.  Is this accurate?

Message 10 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

No. FRs just wipe out user configurations and settings. Does NOT change FW versions. 

Message 11 of 38
nvizi
Tutor

Doubt that. Firmware usually replaces the entire bios software. Resetting it should just wipe any custom settings, it does not then reinstall original firmware. I would think you would need to download and then upload the older firmware, then reset if you have custom settings.

On that note: I like what you said about using ipv6, pain in the butt. I wonder how that will affect printers and TVs etc.

I have been having extreme difficulty with these routers, they are going completely offline too for no reason, even with the older firmware. The app to manage them is shotty at best, not connecting to certain remote anywhere routers without closing the app multiple times. Armor works when it works, but it's notifications fails to direct to the correct router, so you have no idea which one it is talking about, which is really annoying when you're monitoring multiple routers. It's just super confused how to work with multiple routers.
Message 12 of 38
GiveMeInternet
Initiate

I'm having the same problem. I did the whole 9 nine yards (cleared cached, changed browsers, command prompt as admin flushed DNS on all devices, moved the DNS off ISP and onto the Google one). I did not try moving to IPv6 tho.

Oddly, the only devices impacted were PC ones in my household and not Macs. 

I gave up and rolled back the firmware and everything magically works again. I know I'm giving up whatever new security patch is available but I was so tired of the 2FA timing out and not allowing me to enter the codes to get access to all my work.

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 13 of 38
CKopp
Apprentice

I was un-willing to give up the secuirty update, so I just configured the DNS settings on the invidual (windows-based, Apple IOS still seem to work fine) workstations. I like cloud flare for this.  This seems to work just fine.

Have you tried this approach to be able to keep the new update?

Message 14 of 38
RT7900
Tutor

I have the same problem after upgrading the firmware. Setting the DNS at the windows level fixed the issue.

Thanks for the recommendation. Like someone asked what happened to NETGEAR QC? I will think twice next time when I have to upgrade my router. Few times my router reset it self loosing all the configuration. Later i found out that it was due to auto firmware upgrade was on. So I disabled to avoid any issues in future.

I have my router config backed up before the firmware upgrade. If i have to hard reset the router, can I restore these configurations?

Message 15 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

You can try. Would be best if you reset and setup from scratch first and check for DNS issues. Then try loading your saved config files if the problem appears. Problem may continue and you may need to revert FW. 

Message 16 of 38
ejohnjones
Aspirant

It is absolutely disgusting that @netgear is looking the other way on this issue.   The problem began with its latest firmware updates and previously there were no issues.   NETGEAR knows this issue and is refusing to do something about it.   This will be the last NETGEAR product i ever by.  Simply because they don't rectify an issue that they caused.   Literally happening to almost every router.   And the only response from NETGEAR is to downgrade the firmware (to basically an unsecure version considering it was a security patch they were fixing which led me to upgrade). 

Shame on NETGEAR for not fixing this.  

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 17 of 38
nvizi
Tutor

Yep, I did the same. I have been configuring all clients with issues at the computer level to Google DNS instead of automatic. That seems to fix the problem. Should not have to do this.
Message 18 of 38
RT7900
Tutor

This is my 3rd Netgear router. For me DNS is not an option. I may have to look for alternative. Definitely not getting Netgerar anymore.

Message 19 of 38
mjcyber
Aspirant

Downgrading to a vulnerable firmware is not a solution.
Firmware V1.4.2.84_1.3.42 has buggy DNS and no amount of toggling, resetting and tweaking will fix it.
Netgear needs to properly support their product and provide a firmware that doesn't break everyone's DNS.

Message 20 of 38
JArmani
Aspirant

This solved it for me, hope it helps:

1. Log in to your router

2. Change DNS servers from auto to servers like cloudflare 1.1.1.1. & 1.0.0.1. or others (there are many options, just do a quick Google search).

3. Save settings. I also updated each of my devices to use these servers, but it was already working properly after step 2.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 21 of 38
GR82N0
Aspirant

Have been having the same issues with a Nighthawk R7960P after updating to V1.4.2.84_1.3.42  I am rolling back to V1.4.1.68_1.3.28 available from the Netgear service site.  It was so bad that I could not complete my work from home without isssuing an ipconfig/flushdns every 10 minutes.  If a let a screen sit, I would get a DNS resolve error when I went back into it.  I sure hope Netgear gets a new version of the firmware rolled out soon.  I don't like to avoid running outdated firmware on my routers.

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 22 of 38
mjcyber
Aspirant

I’ve tried every suggestion in these forms, including setting Cloudflare and Google DNS server IP’s. Nothing worked DNS resolution continually broken. Fix for me was to return the router to Costco and get a different brand. Best of luck to all of you
Message 23 of 38
CKopp
Apprentice

Totally apreciate your frustration. As I also was unwilling to give up the security update, I sucessfully used the work around to set the DNS at the client machines instead.  A pain, but it works well. 

An interesting side note, my Android Phone uses the DNS of the router, and it works fine.  It is just the Windows and iPads with an issue.

Message 24 of 38
mribeiro
Initiate

I am having the same issues with V1.0.2.158. If I connect directly to my modem it's fine, but R8500 it doesn't work. Retrying tends to work but after a few retries. 

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 25 of 38
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 37 replies
  • 18 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7