Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Data transfer rate computer to Netgear USB flash drive port--Ethernet

Markg2
Tutor

Data transfer rate computer to Netgear USB flash drive port--Ethernet

AC1900--

Assming the computer and AC1900 are ethernet connected vs. wireless and I intend to copy large amounts of data to a 3.0 flash drive in the 3.0 USB router port, what is a realistic data--machine read/transfer/data write speed cycle per second or minute?

What is typically the limiting overall transfer speed factor?

Mark

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Data transfer rate computer to Netgear USB flash drive port--Ethernet

If you can believe the test results for FAT32 Write - USB 3.0, then you'll get about 33 MB/s (Megabytes per second) for the R7000.  TBH, that's pretty miserable.  The top performing router on that list can do over 84 MB/s.

I would wager that the limiting factors are a combination of the CPU speed, firmware efficiency, shielding of the USB 3.0 port against Wi-Fi interference and the raw speed of the drive.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Re: Data transfer rate computer to Netgear USB flash drive port--Ethernet

If you can believe the test results for FAT32 Write - USB 3.0, then you'll get about 33 MB/s (Megabytes per second) for the R7000.  TBH, that's pretty miserable.  The top performing router on that list can do over 84 MB/s.

I would wager that the limiting factors are a combination of the CPU speed, firmware efficiency, shielding of the USB 3.0 port against Wi-Fi interference and the raw speed of the drive.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7