Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disconnects at the same exact time each day

Itscomplicated
Follower

Disconnects at the same exact time each day

Hi, I'm trying to address a super weird problem - and I'm sort of at a loss.

I was having an issue where every night at 12:24PM my open connections (games, discord, etc) would drop. The modem, router, etc would not actually lose connection, any synchronous service running on any PC on the network would drop. There were no errors in the modem / router log or anywhere else that I could find. Streaming services were NOT affected (like netflix wouldn't just keep running, maybe because of the cache). I could immediately reconnect to any games / voice chat / whatever after maybe 4-5 seconds after this occurred.

I thought maybe my network hardware was going bad. So I replaced all of the hardware in my entire setup. Also got a new PC around the same time.

New modem: CM2000 Modem

New Router 1: R6700 (4 PCs connected)

New Router 2 (connected to router 1): R7800 (set to bridge mode) (1 PC, 2 TVs, other normal stuff connected)

All PCs are hard wired to the routers

After replacing all my hardware. The same problem is still happening, however now it is at 8:47PM every night.

I'm on Timewarner Spectrum. I had them come out and test the lines twice, they say everything is fine on their end (no disconnects, no weak connection etc).

At first my theory was that they had some server upstream from me that was reseting something and causing connection to drop. However, I've been running tests every single night and I've had one successful test case where the issue didn't occur which makes me think it's possibly something in my network:

1. Disconnect Router 2 completely and all devices on it - fail, all PCs on router 1 disconnect at 8:47

2. Disable wireless on Router 1 - fail, all PCs on router 1 disconnect at 8:47

3. Unplug all routers, plug 1 PC directly into the modem - pass (did NOT DC at 8:47)

4. Disconnect everything except the PC that passed when plugged directly into the modem, plug it into Router 1 - fail at 8:47

5. Change DHCP timer update changes to 1 hr to see if this is the cause  - fail, all PCs on router 1 DC at 8:47 and at no other time

6. Change mac address on router 1 - fail, all PCs on router 1 DC at 8:47, gave me a new IP though

I'm kind of running out of ideas. Has anyone heard of anything like this? It could be that Router 1 is just bad and I happened to get 2 faulty routers with exactly the same problem but it seems so unlikely that I feel like something else must be going on.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
methewcraldk
Aspirant

Re: Disconnects at the same exact time each day

@Itscomplicated wrote:

Hi, I'm trying to address a super weird problem - and I'm sort of at a loss.

I was having an issue where every night at 12:24PM my open connections (games, discord, etc) would drop. The modem, router, etc would not actually lose connection, any synchronous service running on any PC on the network would drop. There were no errors in the modem / router log or anywhere else that I could find. Streaming services were NOT affected (like netflix wouldn't just keep running, maybe because of the cache). I could immediately reconnect to any games / voice chat / whatever after maybe 4-5 seconds after this occurred.

I thought maybe my network hardware was going bad. So I replaced all of the hardware in my entire setup. Also got a new PC around the same time.

New modem: CM2000 Modem

New Router 1: R6700 (4 PCs connected)

New Router 2 (connected to router 1): R7800 (set to bridge mode) (1 PC, 2 TVs, other normal stuff connected)

All PCs are hard wired to the routers

After replacing all my hardware. The same problem is still happening, however now it is at 8:47PM every night.

I'm on Timewarner Spectrum. I had them come out and test the lines twice, they say everything is fine on their end (no disconnects, no weak connection etc).

At first my theory was that they had some server upstream from me that was reseting something and causing connection to drop. However, I've been running tests every single night and I've had one successful test case where the issue didn't occur which makes me think it's possibly something in my network:

1. Disconnect Router 2 completely and all devices on it - fail, all PCs on router 1 disconnect at 8:47

2. Disable wireless on Router 1 - fail, all PCs on router 1 disconnect at 8:47

3. Unplug all routers, plug 1 PC directly into the modem - pass (did NOT DC at 8:47)

4. Disconnect everything except the PC that passed when plugged directly into the modem, plug it into Router 1 - fail at 8:47

5. Change DHCP timer update changes to 1 hr to see if this is the cause  - fail, all PCs on router 1 DC at 8:47 and at no other time

6. Change mac address on router 1 - fail, all PCs on router 1 DC at 8:47, gave me a new IP though

I'm kind of running out of ideas. Has anyone heard of anything like this? It could be that Router 1 is just bad and I happened to get 2 faulty routers with exactly the same problem but it seems so unlikely that I feel like something else must be going on.

This may be flaw in you ISP. May be he update his connection autometically through Software.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7