Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Easy way to extend your range when adding a second router connect via Ethernet

Builder2961
Aspirant

Easy way to extend your range when adding a second router connect via Ethernet

I needed to extend my wireless coverage and my house had a good bit of cat-6 installed when built. I like the reliability of Ethernet and the convenience of wireless, but I also didn't want multiple SSIDs to log into when in the basement, back yard or up on the third floor. I also wanted to be able use the Ethernet ports on the remote wireless routers. I didn't  have any luck using the built in Bridge mode so I just ended up using some common sense and got exactly what I wanted.

My main router (Linksys WRT 32)  it is located on the first floor in my service entrance closet and my two additional routers ( R7000's) are located in the basement and Third floor bonus room) the R7000's are each connected via Ethernet cables to LAN ports on the WRT and LAN port 1 on the 7000's. All the wireless transmissions

broadcast the same SSID and all have the same password.  So as I travel from room to room and the devices in the area connect the strongest signal, at least the newer smarter ones do. Plus the remaining  LAN ports are all operational.  If you like this set up here's how I configured them:

Need to do nothing with your main router other than know it's IP address and IP range, SSID and password. For the 7000's I took them both to my PC one at a time I did hard rests on them, logged into them with direct Ethernet connection from PC to any one of the LAN ports and insured they had the latest firmware. One did not so I downloaded the firmware and did a manual update. Then simply in this order: add your new admin password, set your wireless SSID and password make sure they exactly match, change auto channel to one fixed channel for 2.4 and 5 MHz or combine them, use two different channels for the other router assuming you are adding two like me, change the router IP to match the main less the last number. Example my main is 10.144.43.1, second router should be set to 10.144.43.2 and so on depending on many your adding and finally, disable DHCP. Apply the settings and router will reboot. Once  it's rebooted you will no longer be able to log into it, but no worries, if you ever want to change it back just do a reset. Then simply connect them LAN port remote to LAN port main via Ethernet and you will be good to go. One wide range wireless network with one SSID and one Password to deal with. Also all the remaining  LAN ports on your remote routers are fully operable. Note: you can leave the wireless channel settings main router to set on auto. Finally, my IP range on the main is 10.144.43.100 to 10.144.43.254 that leaves you 1-100 for your routers and any static ip's you need to configure. Hope this helps. 

Message 1 of 6
antinode
Guru

Re: Easy way to extend your range when adding a second router connect via Ethernet

> I didn't  have any luck using the built in Bridge mode [...]

Bridge mode on these routers is not useful for extending
wireless-network coverage.

> [...] so I just ended up using some common sense [...]

For some people, "common sense" begins with reading the product
documentation.

> [...] change the router IP to match the main less the last number.
> [...]

At this point, you might have done better to follow the instructions
in the R7000 User Manual:

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual (at least).  Read.  Look for
"Set Up the Router as a WiFi Access Point".

> [...] Once  it's rebooted you will no longer be able to log into it,
> [...]

I doubt that.  I'd expect that to work, but you might need to specify
the new LAN IP address of the R7000-as-WAP in the web browser.

> Finally, my IP range on the main is [...]

Do you mean the IP address range of the DhCP pool on the main router?
What happened to this?:

> [...] Need to do nothing with your main router other than know it's IP
> address and IP range, [...]

Also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Protocol
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address

> [...] other than know it's IP address [...]

"its".  Compare: "Once  it's rebooted".

Message 2 of 6
Builder2961
Aspirant

Re: Easy way to extend your range when adding a second router connect via Ethernet

Please go to the business forms as you are obviosly superior to all here, in every way. The bridge mode didnt work for me this did, period. How did that two year networking degree work out for you from the community college? Condensending ass!

Message 3 of 6
antinode
Guru

> [...] you are obviosly [sic] superior to all here, in every way. [...]

I have read the relevant sections of the R7000 User Manual, and I do
know the purpose of "bridge mode" on an R7000, which apparently puts me
ahead of some of the "contributors" here.

Message 4 of 6

@Builder2961 wrote:

Please go to the business forms as you are obviosly superior to all here, in every way. The bridge mode didnt work for me this did, period.

The problem is that the "bridge mode" label is used in different ways for different bits of kit.

The usage that crops up most often in web searches is to turn a modem/router into a plain modem, without the router bit.

Then there is the case that you probably had in mind, which is as a wireless "bridge" between one router and another.

There are other "bridges" in there too.

It is made more complicated by the fact that not all routers (the R7800 for example) and modems (many that ISPs supply) can do bridge mode.

In other words, some router cannot play ball in wireless (repeater) bridge mode. And some modem/routers cant do "modem only" bridge mode.So sometimes we have to break bad news to people who turn up here with a device that won't cooperate.

Some of us try to put ourselves in the shoes of the person trying to solve a problem. It isn't what you know that helps to solve problems, although that helps, it is how you explain what you know. I'm sure that your earlier explanation will help someone. There is rarely a "one size fits all" answer to a problem.

My aversion to bridge mode is such that I avoid it and use Powerline Ethernet to connect a remote router that I then put into wireless access point mode. Less likely to fall over and easier to set up.

Message 5 of 6
antinode
Guru

> Some of us try to put ourselves in the shoes of the person trying to
> solve a problem. [...]

Some of us even read a posing carefully enough to grasp that "bridge
mode" is not what's involved here.  Which might explain why he "didn't
have any luck using the built in Bridge mode".

> [...] It isn't what you know that helps to solve problems, although
> that helps, [...]

Huh?  Come again?

> [...] I'm sure that your earlier explanation will help someone. [...]

As an example of what not to do when you want a wireless access
point?  Or as an overly complicated way to configure a wireless access
point which may not work as well as the method which is documented in
the User Manual?  I'm less sure.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies