Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Extremely slow 2.4 GHz network

KenDRider
Aspirant

Extremely slow 2.4 GHz network

I was out of town and one of my security cameras reported it was offline and another was online but barely streaming. When I got home I noticed all of my Wifi connected devices were extremely slow. I ran a speedtest on several of them and all were showing 2-5 Mbps download and 1-3 Mbps uploads. Previously they would have typically been in the 40-55 Mbps down and 10-13 Mbps up. They all were connected to the 2.4 GHz network. I had installed the latest firmware a couple of weeks ago figured that might be the culprit. I tried rebooting and resetting the router but nothing changed. While I couldn't disable the 2.4 GHz network, so I changed its SSID and disabled its broadcast. Everything is now connected to the 5 GHz network and I'm seeing 100-160 Mbps downloads and 10-13 Mbps uploads. So far I haven't found a device that won't connect. It's a brute force solution but it's working for now.

The question is what's the problem with the 2.4 GHz network and when is NETGEAR going to fix it?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi All, 

A new firmware update is available. Please update the firmware to 1.0.9.32

https://kb.netgear.com/000059134/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-9-32

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies

Which firmware version do you have on the R7000? Do you have any Chromecast/Android devices around?

There has been a flurry of activity on that front recently.

R7000 keeps losing 2.4GHz wireless connectivity - NETGEAR Communities

Message 2 of 8
profeta64
Luminary

Hi to all, I am in the same situation, with the latest beta firmware: V1.0.9.30_10.2.33.

I have three Android phones connected, and with my Samsung S7 I cannot exceed the 8mbps (average is 5mbps) even if it is close to the router.

I tryed several channels, but does not make any differences.

Message 3 of 8

More a hotfix than beta firmware:

R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.30 - Hot Fix | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

This is a nuisance because you then have to reconfigure the device all over again.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

Message 4 of 8
profeta64
Luminary

So, currently I installed this update, coming back from DD-WRT.

The main reason why I left the original software was the issue with openVPN, which has been corrected on this beta/hot fix version.

I made the current configuration of the router from scratch, after to have performed the 30-30-30 reset procedure.

I think then that if I will reset again the router, and restoring the configuration will not make any differences.

Isn't it?

Message 5 of 8

@profeta64 wrote:

I think then that if I will reset again the router, and restoring the configuration will not make any differences.

Restoring the configuration may also restore the bugs that you saw before the reset.

Try it. If the same pre-update problem exists reset and then do not restore.

Message 6 of 8
profeta64
Luminary

So, I choosed to use the previous V1.0.9.28 firmware, applied directly over the V1.0.9.30.

Now I got full speed Smiley Happy -> speedtest.net at 32mbps as my line

The drawback is that the VPN now it is not woorking... 😐

Message 7 of 8
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi All, 

A new firmware update is available. Please update the firmware to 1.0.9.32

https://kb.netgear.com/000059134/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-9-32

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team