Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extremely slow speed r8300

PrayJ
Aspirant

Extremely slow speed r8300

Hi

I am getting very slow speeds through my router. I have R8300 router and a CM1000 modem, using it with Xfinity Comcast. This issue started out of nowhere and without any input from me. Comcast has sent a technician over and confirmed that I am getting 979mbps speed on my modem. I have confirmed this using my own tests. Direct connection to my laptop using an ethernet cable gives me a steady 900mbps+ speed.

I have done the following troubleshooting steps so far.

1. Reset the modem and the router.
2. Reset the router using 30-30-30 reset.
3. Power cycled both modem and router.
4. Downloaded and applied the latest firmware for the router V1.0.2.158.
5. Router is in an open space and I have tried testing speeds on 3 different devices within a foot of the router with same results.
6. Dynamic QoS is turned off.
7. Changed channels.

There should be no signal disturbance from neighbors as my closest neighbor is a good half a mile away. The issue remains. I am pretty tech savvy and can usually figure out speed issues like this myself but this one has really stumped me. Please help.

Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready, R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16

Re: Extremely slow speed r8300

@PrayJ wrote:

Hi

I am getting very slow speeds through my router.

Measured how? Measured where? Connected how? Wifi? Wired?

Direct connection to my laptop using an ethernet cable gives me a steady 900mbps+ speed.

From laptop to what? Modem? Router?

Message 2 of 16
plemans
Guru

What actual speeds are you getting wired into the router? 

When you reinstalled after the firmware update, you put you left qos off. did you also make sure to leave parental controls, access controls, and traffic monitoring off? If they were ever enabled, factory reset again and during the reinstall, leave those disabled. 

Did you reinstall from a backup? If so, don't. 

Message 3 of 16
PrayJ
Aspirant

Thanks for replying @michaelkenward  

Measured:

1.Using ethernet cable connected directly to a laptop and a desktop. 

2. Wirelessly with a cell phone, tablet and a laptop in close proximity to the router.

Internet connection is through the modem (CM1000) to the router and from the router to the device using ethernet cable. 

I have changed the cables to rule out faulty equipment. 

This same setup was working perfectly fine for a number of years. 900mbps+ speeds through ethernet connection. 500mbps+ wirelessly. Now it is crawling at barely 2mbps. Ethernet connection to the laptop through the router is perfect - steady 900mbps.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 16
PrayJ
Aspirant

Thanks @plemans 

There is no speed issues with a wire connection to the router - steady 900mbps speeds.

QOS, Parental Control, Access Control, Traffic Monitoring were never turned ON or enabled before or after the reinstall.

No reinstall from backup. This was a fresh reset to factory settings. The only things that are the same are the SSID ID and passwords. I did not change those as I have many smart devices connected to it.

Thanks.

Message 5 of 16
plemans
Guru

do you have ipv6 enabled?

Try enabling that. 

If it doesn't help, try downgrading the firmware a version. 

Message 6 of 16

@PrayJ wrote:

Thanks @plemans 

There is no speed issues with a wire connection to the router - steady 900mbps speeds.

That deals with the issue of what you were measuring and where.

We often see complaints from people who get full wired speed from the modem, but it drops a lot when measured out of the the router in the middle. From your original description it wasn't clear – to me at least – that you weren't another victim of that one.

We now know that your speed problem is with wifi. This means that we are dealing with the router as a source of the wifi and the various wifi clients that connect to the router.

The only things that are the same are the SSID ID and passwords. I did not change those as I have many smart devices connected to it.

Ouch. Does that mean that after the reset you went in to the browser graphical user interface (GUI) and set the SSIDs to what they were before the reset?

Is there any indication that these devices have speed problems?

If not, which devices are running slow?

You could tell the "slow" wifi clients to forget their previous connection to the wifi and set it up from scratch. In that way, the clients will lose any hangover settings from the previous connections.

Message 7 of 16
PrayJ
Aspirant

@plemans 

Ipv6 was off. Just turned it on. No difference in speed. 

I have downgraded and tried each firmware version from the latest one to the first one with no change. 

Tried it with a different Netgear router today and the speeds look fine. Since this issue started suddenly out of nowhere it is even more confusing. There is no physical damage to the router. It has stayed hung on a wall untouched for couple years. 

Message 8 of 16
PrayJ
Aspirant

@michaelkenward 

"Ouch. Does that mean that after the reset you went in to the browser graphical user interface (GUI) and set the SSIDs to what they were before the reset?"

Yes. But this was done AFTER testing the speed with different clients connected to the default router SSID. I have also tried to change the SSID to a different name and password to test this. 

"

Is there any indication that these devices have speed problems?

If not, which devices are running slow?"

No such indication. Any device that has speed problems with the X8 run fine with full speed connected to other routers. 

"You could tell the "slow" wifi clients to forget their previous connection to the wifi and set it up from scratch. In that way, the clients will lose any hangover settings from the previous connections."

This is exactly what was done. Connections were forgotten from the clients before fresh setup. 

Thank you.

Message 9 of 16
Kitsap
Master

@PrayJ wrote:

Tried it with a different Netgear router today and the speeds look fine. Since this issue started suddenly out of nowhere it is even more confusing. There is no physical damage to the router. It has stayed hung on a wall untouched for couple years. 

Is there a chance something has happened to your power adapter?

Message 10 of 16
PrayJ
Aspirant

It is unlikely something happened to the power adapter as it has remained untouched for so long. However that is one thing I have not tried, I will check and update soon. Thanks @Kitsap 

Message 11 of 16
PrayJ
Aspirant

Power adapter looked normal. I still changed the outlet it was plugged in to make sure. Issue remains unfortunately. 

Message 12 of 16
Kitsap
Master

@PrayJ wrote:

Power adapter looked normal. I still changed the outlet it was plugged in to make sure. Issue remains unfortunately. 

Any chance you have a spare adapter you can do a complete exchange with?

Message 13 of 16
PrayJ
Aspirant

@Kitsap 

I have another Netgear router in the office that has a similar power adapter. I will try that. However, do you really think the power adapter being faulty would have anything to do with wifi speed? 

Thanks.

Message 14 of 16
Kitsap
Master

Possibly.  Power line spikes or surges can have a cumulative negative impact on the power adapters.  If the adapter is not providing power within specification the device can function in a marginal manner.

You seem to be thorough in your approach and since it is something you did not firmly rule out, and with the lack of progress with other items, it was an idea.

Message 15 of 16
plemans
Guru

You said you'd connected another router and it worked fine? 

what happens if you use that router in router mode and put the R8300 in AP mode? AP mode disables several functions that do traffic inspection and can slow speeds. Curious if something is fubar'd in that. 

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7