Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Factory reset doesn't work

ganon0
Tutor

Factory reset doesn't work

I have a Nighthawk X8 I bought two months ago. Up until today (Mar 7), it has been running fine. Today I came home and found it wasn't working. I tried to access it via routerlogin.net, nothing worked. I've tried to factory reset using a toothpick about 5 times now, but it doesn't seem to matter; my computer (hooked via ethernet) doesn't allow me to configure it, and I can't see it wirelessly. The power button stays amber most of the time but it seems to reset itself every once in a while.

I tried calling customer support, but they hung up on me while beginning to register my router midsentence. I'm afraid I'll need an RMA, unless someone can tell me why factory reset isn't working. I've tried doing it for 8 seconds (directions say that), longer, multiple times, while it was on, off, both, etc. None of it helps.

If I can't get the factory reset to work, is there a way to set up an RMA without calling? After the initial CS hangup, I was told I'd be on the phone for an hour waiting for help.

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
ganon0
Tutor

I ended up doing an RMA. Got my new unit and it's working fine right now. Hopefully it won't quit in 2 months like the last one...

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
VE6CGX
Master

Seea ny lights on the router is unusual? Tried to ping the router? Push and hold down the reset button for couple mins.

and let go. Can you see router rebooting? Your wall wart may be bad.

Message 2 of 9
ganon0
Tutor

How many minutes do I hold it? Should the router be off when I do it? Do I turn it on while holding the reset button? Off and on throughout? What lights do I watch (front vs top vs antennae)?

Message 3 of 9
VE6CGX
Master

Try again, turn off the router. Push and hold down the reset button and turn the router on. Wait until power light blinks

and let go. What happens then?  If you have spare wall wart try that too.

Message 4 of 9
ganon0
Tutor

Tried that. Didn't work. The various LEDs on the top with the statuses will all light up for a bit, and then it just goes back to the amber power indicator and a light for whatever ether port I have something plugged into. Nothing to indicate it's receiving signal from the modem.

Unfortunately I don't have any other outlets I can use. 

Message 5 of 9
VE6CGX
Master

Did you try to ping the router?

Message 6 of 9
Ne400309
Aspirant

I have the same router and have been having the exact same issue for 2 days now.
Message 7 of 9
ganon0
Tutor

I ended up doing an RMA. Got my new unit and it's working fine right now. Hopefully it won't quit in 2 months like the last one...

Message 8 of 9
NightOwl326
Luminary

Everything has a defect rate be it a Netgear router or a toaster. You will be fine.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7