Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Faulty USB or what?

Ashtown
Aspirant

Faulty USB or what?

Just installed an AC2600 for the first time. Plugged a WORKING USB Flash disk into the router. USB light is off. Ensured that Network Neighbourhood is checked in USB Advanced Settings. But no disk, or even the router shows up in Windows explorer. All of this seems to indicate that the USB port is broken... but if I click on Create Network Folder, the webpage shows USB Device as U: Kingston and when I click on Browse, all the files and folders on the disk are shown. What am I doing wrong?

Model: AC2400|Nighthawk AC2400 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Ashtown
Aspirant

Re: Faulty USB or what?

I have solved the issue.... there is no USB fault.... it has to do with Windows 10 functions... they must be changed to enable SMB file sharing support (Function Discovery Provider Host, Function Discovery Resource Publication Properties and Windows Feature SMB1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support).  Here is the YouTube video that provided all the answers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoN878fXEVs

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies

@Ashtown wrote:

Just installed an AC2600 for the first time. Plugged a WORKING USB Flash disk into the router.

What is this USB drive? How is it formatted?

You don't say what is on the PC end, but I see "MacShare" in your hard ti read image. Does that mean a Mac?

I am happy to say that I know nothing about Macs. Windows sharing can need SMB tweaking to make files visible. (Nothing to do with ReadySHARE.) Maybe Mac has similar needs.

Message 2 of 7
Ashtown
Aspirant

Standard formatting i.e. NFTS/FAT for Windows. Reference to MacShare came from the Netgear webpage. Computer attached to Router is Windows. I tried using several flash USB disks and they all work perfectly when plugged into the USB port of my Windows 10 computer.image.png Per your suggestion, I will try other flash disks and this time I will reformat to FAT myself. Thanks for helping me.image.png

Message 3 of 7

@Ashtown wrote:

Standard formatting i.e. NFTS/FAT for Windows.

That should be fine. Nothing exotic here.

@Ashtown wrote:

Reference to MacShare came from the Netgear webpage. Computer attached to Router is Windows.

Try this then.

Solved: ALL Netgear USB Drive Mapping Issues ReadyShareCo... - NETGEAR Communities

Message 4 of 7
Ashtown
Aspirant

I have solved the issue.... there is no USB fault.... it has to do with Windows 10 functions... they must be changed to enable SMB file sharing support (Function Discovery Provider Host, Function Discovery Resource Publication Properties and Windows Feature SMB1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support).  Here is the YouTube video that provided all the answers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoN878fXEVs

Message 5 of 7

@Ashtown wrote:

I have solved the issue.... there is no USB fault.... it has to do with Windows 10 functions... they must be changed to enable SMB file sharing support

That's what I sugegsted in my first reply with a detailed link in the follow up.

Glad it works for you.

Funnilly, I did not jhave to make that tweak in Windows 11. Perhaps it remembered the setting.

Message 6 of 7
Ashtown
Aspirant

I'm awfully sorry if I disrespected you! I was so frustrated that the most important new feature (for me) that Nighthawk provided was not working.... that I searched the internet before examining your link. I am especially regretful for one thing, namely that I used the term "I have solved"... I am incapable of solving Microsoft or Linux issues. Every time I have problems that might remotely be connected to these OSes, I have to search the internet for answers. As usual, my OS problems have been reported by thousands of other amateurs, saying something meaningful about the "Help" installed in these OSes. Have a great day!

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." Newton 1675]

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7