Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Feedback for R7000 New firmware 1.0.9.18

ddurig
Guide

Thanks. a search did not find it, but your link worked. I also managed to find it by looking at support articles instead. Did the update and will report results. Hoping for the best so I don't have to downgrade.

Message 176 of 897
brdoddsjr
Apprentice

I'm 60+ hours on the .20 hot fix.  All good.  I even have 1st gen knock off 2.4 wifi bulbs that puke on anything and everything that are working still.

1.) I know this isn't enought time to declare victory, but it does look promising.

2.) If you noticing android devices dropping off the 2.4 radio or running very slow, don't assume it is Netgear.  I've been struggling with this for the last 2 versions of Android.  The fix use to be to force your android device to the 2.4 radio, but that "feature" is now gone.  I don't think the Netgear resolved its routing tables very well when the IPs moved and makes the Android problem worse, but I also don't think it is the root cause.

Smart Connect is ON.  I had the same bad behavior with it on or off.

QoS is OFF.  Caused all kinds of problems and very little benefit on my network. I made this decision a year ago.

On Wifi is have DHCP and reserved address.  I experiance problems on both with .18

Access Control is OFF.  If the .20 Hot Fix burps, I will only reboot and observe again.  If it burps twice I will turn on Access Control and allow all devices.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 177 of 897
Stale
Aspirant

Holy cow, I just ran into this issue HARD on 1.0.9.18, after running on it basically since it came out. I saw that the .20 hotfix was out, and even attempted a factory reset on that version as well. After the factory reset the only thing I configured was the basic Wifi settings, and clients immediately had issues, basically everything else was default.

I also tried downgrading back as far as 1.0.9.6, and the same problems came up at every previous version. It seems like once this bug triggers, it's pretty darn persistant.

So after a lot of random attempts, I re-upgraded to 1.0.9.20 (along with another factory reset). While my problems were primarily related to the 2.4Ghz band, I went ahead and tried something different. I disabled the 5Ghz radio completely, and changed the 2.4Ghz radio to disable the 20/40Mhz coexistance & set the mode to 54Mbps specifically. Sure enough after that the 2.4Ghz band appears to at least allow clients to connect (granted the performance is relatively terrible).

Based on this behavior, I don't think the 1.0.9.20 version is fixing the issue on all devices. I really hope that a complete software fix comes out soon on this, as it stands I'll have to replace the router within a few days (family complaints), and I'm sure not replacing it with another Netgear if these problems still exist.

Message 178 of 897
Stale
Aspirant

One thing I'm noticing, is that the 2.4Ghz band has massive latency spikes across the board when it's broken. Reducing the mode down to 54Mbps also reduces the latency spikes, though they are certainly still there (seeing spikes of +100ms or so at 54Mbps, but at 289 or 600Mbps the spikes jump to 1000-2000ms, with lots of packet drops.

Seems like 54Mbps might just be masking the problem, but at least it get's clients somewhat reconnected.

Message 179 of 897
alange81
Aspirant

I am having the same problems with the 5G network. It keeps kicking everyting off the network and has to be reset. Is there a fix for this yet or is there one on the way? 

I am up for suggestions!!!

Message 180 of 897
Diggie3
Luminary

The suggestions seem to be a combination of:

* Turn on QOS, update the QOS database/engine, then turn it back off
* Turn off the guest Network
* Turn on access control and allow all devices
Message 181 of 897
AaronB483
Aspirant

Will I did it. Installed Tomato firmware about three days ago. It was something I wanted to do for awhile, but now feel I was force to.

The setting pages pop up faster.

The login is faster.

I can find the setting I need easier.  

But there are so many settings I don’t know what they are or how to use them. 

Wifi seems faster – Now getting 9.8Mbs instead of 6.8Mbs

That may be anecdotal. Xfinity may have sped up my connection.

I am still struggling with getting my laser printer to work with the USB connection. Both with linux and Windows 10

I feel satisfied with the changes.

For those that have made the same changes with adding Tomato firmware, please post your experience.

Message 182 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

I did the same after buying a new Linksys WRT1900ACS. I can't afford downtime. I guess I am going to use the R7000 as an extra access point with Advanced Tomato. I don't think I have the energy for testing a Netgear firmware again. I did everything to make it stable again, all without success. Now it's time for Tomato.
Message 183 of 897
Stale
Aspirant

Let us know how it goes, and which build you used. I literally was just thinking about this too, as I'm out of ideas with the stock Netgear firmware, and don't really want to buy a new router prior to CES in a few weeks. I'm tempted to tryit tonight too now.

If Tomato works to bridge the gap, all the better!

Message 184 of 897
jsw5596
Aspirant

Update has caused my internet speed for wired systems to drop to 12mbps, where wireless connectivity is around 90mbps. Before update my wired connections were around 90mbps. When I go back to older firmware my wired speed increases to where it should be.

Message 185 of 897
Stale
Aspirant

Spent too much time troubleshooting this today, so I jumped onto Tomato as well:

Current Version:  1.28.0000 -3.5-140 K26ARM USB AIO-64K

Initially much seems improved, though strangely I've found one device (2016 Macbook Pro) that can only reach ~5Mbps on 2.4Ghz strangly. The same device on the 5Ghz band maxes out the internet connection, and my iPhone on the 2.4Ghz band can also nearly max out the internet connection.

Time will tell if this is just a fluke, but generally it does seem initially better.

Message 186 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

Why is Tomato and dd-wrt stable and an old Netgear firmware not??? Who can explain this?? I really don't understand. It was stable with old firmwares. I wasn't able to achieve that. Did they ruin something, the hardware? In that case Tomato would fail to. I don't get it.
Message 187 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

@JamesGL Please answer my previous post. Ask the engineers if they found something! Why don't you or the engineers give us more information? We are testing and experimenting for weeks now and we lost trust. What is the status? Just talk and communicate. I asked this more than once.
Message 188 of 897
rudiklein
Star

Hi all,

.28 is running on my router now for over 36 hours and it seems to be stable. No 2.4 drops.

(QoS = on, SmartConnect = off, Guest network = off, 5Ghz = on)

But,...when setting up advanced Qos again, I noticed the uplink speed, measured on the QoS page, dropped from 115 to 86Mps. I have no data on Wireless.

I'm not saying this has anything to do with the update, because that would mean more testing and honestly, I just want my network running.

However, looking at the 115Mbps in hindsight, this number can't be correct. I have a 100Mbps line to my ISP. 

I changes to dynamic QoS, did a Ookla speed test and the speed looks ok. I runs on 90% of the max speed offered by the ISP, which is great (they offer max speed in NL, not actual speed, because it differs per geo and other influences).

The update to .28 was done without a factory reset. (I have done all upgrades and downgrades without a factory reset in the last week.) 

In general .28 seems to be stable. I just wished Netgear would comment on the issue like status and some background.

Rudi 

Message 189 of 897
shamarin
Virtuoso

You mean version 1.0.9.18? Or if not, there did you get .28 version?

Message 190 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

QOS is completely useless if you have enough bandwidth. And we have enough in the Netherlands. QOS is bad and behaving negative if you have enough bandwidth. I never used it because it is useless.
Message 191 of 897
Stale
Aspirant

So after (almost) 24 hours on Tomato, the problems remain unfortunately (with nearly identical symptoms, though maybe slightly less severe).

• On any Netgear 1.0.9.x firmware, 2.4Ghz clients for me could generally connect, but immediately would do nothing (ie, unable to load the google.com main page. TLS handshake would time out).
  • On Tomato (1.28.0000 -3.5-140 K26ARM USB AIO-64K), most 2.4Ghz clients work reasonably well directly after a reboot. Within a few hours though the performance falls through the floor, down to around 5Mbps/1Mbps (wired clients generally clock in around 110Mbps/12Mbps, and the router is very suburban with not much other RF around; speed/range has been great for years with this router otherwise).

Based on this, I suspect that one of the recent firmwares attempted a component-level firmware update (perhaps updating the 2.4Ghz radio firmware for the Krack vulnerability?). Something like this would at least explain why the problems carry from one version to the next, or even to alternate builds, but unfortunately would require a fixed update to correct it. This is just a guess, but there's not many other explanations as to why the problem persists across versions that previously didn't have issues.

For now I'm going to stick on Tomato though; next attempt will be to use scheduled reboots to try to ensure the router is reset every morning. I would agree that it would be nice to know if Netgear is even aware of this problem though.

Message 192 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

Did you flush NVRam after flashing Advanced Tomato? See instruction video on Tomato site.
Message 193 of 897
Stale
Aspirant

Unfortunately I did. Cleared the nvram prior to upgrading to Tomato, and again after the upgrade with the full image. 😞

Message 194 of 897
brdoddsjr
Apprentice

Day 4 on the 1.0.9.20 Hot Fix.  Still stable with great throughput.  Most of my 2.4 devices are IoT devices, but my primary Android phone is also on the 2.4 radio.

Message 195 of 897

brdoddsjr,

I have done most of what the others have tried:

(1) Upgraded to .18 and then .20 and had the connection drops

(2) Reverted back to V1.0.9.6_1.2.19 reset to factory settings and just had basic wifi with smartconnect.  I do have a readyshare/readycloud hard drive attached to the USB port but nothing else configured.  Experienced drops just as frequent if not moreso.

I have concluded the same as a previous member that one of the firmware upgrades recently upgraded something on the component level of the 2.4GHZ band and therefore even when you switch firmwares, it makes no difference.

Can you share your exact settings because you seem to be the only one I can find that has stability?  So sad b/c I loved my R7000 but we use it for everything including work and now going to have to go to the store today...I feel helpless.

Message 196 of 897
pierreca
Aspirant

Yesterday updated firmware to R7000-V1.0.9.18_1.2.27
All my android devices can wifi connect but no internet.
IPads work fine and PC based WIFI connection OK.

downgraded to R7000-V1.0.9.14_1.2.25
Android system ok , and all the rest ok

Today applied hot fix R7000-V1.0.9.20_1.2.28

this fix not working
my android devices can wifi connect but no internet.

downgraded to R7000-V1.0.9.14_1.2.25 again
Android system ok , and all the rest ok again

Message 197 of 897
brdoddsjr
Apprentice

On the wireless side:  Smart Connect: On, SSID: Enabled, Coexistance: OFF, WPA2-PSK(AES), Channel: Auto, Mode: Up to 600 Mbps, Transmit Power: 100%

QoS: OFF

Nothing on USB

Guest Network: only 2.4 enabled with open security

Access Control: OFF

One the WAN side the only thing is I disable IGMP

MTU: 1500

Message 198 of 897
brdoddsjr
Apprentice

One other thing is i bought my R7000 when they first came out, so I've probably had every version of firmware.  And I used it as an Arlo base station as well.  This router has been upgraded may time.

Message 199 of 897
brianhelman
Apprentice

I'm also running at 1.0.9.14.  It didn't initially fix the problem, but as others have recommended, I disabled the 2.4GHz guest network.  I've been good for 2 days now.

I do not have QoS, Access Control or UPnP (probably not relevant) enabled.

Is anyone running their R7000 is AP mode?  I have a Ubiquiti Edgerouter X I'm considering putting in front of the 7000.

Message 200 of 897
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7