Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Feedback for R7000 New firmware 1.0.9.18

brdoddsjr
Apprentice

Folks, I'm back.  I'm the guy running stable on the .20 Hot Fix for a week.

I just lost every 2.4 wifi connection.  I happen to be in the router at the time.  I watched all (every) of my 2.4 connected devices drop off one by one.  Not all at once, but literally one by one.  It took over an hour to drop all the 2.4 devices.  I have 33 IoT devices on the 2.4 radio. Nothing wired or 5 wifi was effected.  No difference between reserved IP and DHCP.  I even did a speed test on my 5G connected android phone and got full bandwidth while all this was happening.

Absolutely nothing in the logs.  I when into my cable modem and nothing there either. no timeouts, no T4 or T5 errors, so it wasn't WAN side.

I've rebooted only and all is well.

If it fails a second time I'm going to turn on assess control and allow all devices.

Ugh

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 276 of 897
Diggie3
Luminary

So I wasn't having this issue on 1.0.9.14 UNTIL relatives came to visit and brought Samsung devices (S8 phones), and then within 24 hours all the 2.4 GHz devices dropped off.

What I did notice:
- Smurf attack listed in admin log from a second R7000 I have connected as an AP at a static assigned IP outside of the DHCP range. This is clearly an error.
- Strange DHCP behavior. The admin log shows the DHCP service handing out new leases to devices every 5-10 minutes.

I've put 1.0.9.20 on now but don't really have high hopes for it.

Come on, Netgear, this is awful.

Is everyone seeing a SMURF attack in their admin log for internal IP addresses right before the 2.4Ghz devices are dropped? I've seen at least one other person mention it.
Message 277 of 897
juched
Apprentice

I am not seeing my entire 2.4 wifi drop, but I am seeing The odd FIN attack as well as two or three devices which seem to continually get a new dhcp address. This seems odd.
Message 278 of 897
Diggie3
Luminary

juched, do you happen to know what types of devices those are (can you identify them by MAC address or using Fing app or similar), and are they connected to 2.4Ghz?

I'll look into my admin log again later. I guess I find myself among the group of people troubleshooting networks over their break now. Thanks for that, NG...
Message 279 of 897
juched
Apprentice

Two are cameras. Connected to another access point. Need to dig more.

Cannot find the others on the attached devices list. Odd.
Message 280 of 897
Diggie3
Luminary

Okay so I have the same issue.

I have two Galaxy S8 phones connected over the 2.4Ghz wifi. They both show up in the list of devices for "Access control" (this feature is off, however). The admin log shows DHCP gave them leases just under two hours ago, and the IP addresses in the access control list match this.

However, they DO NOT show up on the Attached Devices list. In fact, I notice that none of my 2.4Ghz devices show in the list under Attached Devices.

Their connections still work (for now) and I can see them with the Fing app from a different Android phone.

Update: I just turned the Access Control feature on, which also triggered a reboot, and now after the router came back up 2.4Ghz devices DO show up in the Attached Devices list, whereas before the Access Control list showed only 5Ghz and Wired devices.

NETGEAR: This should be a good lead for you. Are you failing to add 2.4Ghz devices into an internal list, and do you fail to renew their leases later on?
Message 281 of 897
mzguy
Apprentice

My router required at least 8 reboots or WiFi toggles over the past two days. The prior two days saw 3 or less. One difference was the weather. The last two days were much warmer. Chip damage by firmware leading to failure on warm days due to heat? Has anyone else noticed a difference between weather or sunlight going into the router's room and failure rate?

Just a guess.
Message 282 of 897
mzguy
Apprentice

@brdoddsjr

Are you having more stability because your router is in a cooler room?
Message 283 of 897
Diggie3
Luminary

Mzguy, please, let's not start talking about room temperature and weather just as we're starting to identify some consistent symptoms.
Message 284 of 897
mzguy
Apprentice

I disagree. Your symptoms are not consistent for me. Don't assume that a few people a pattern makes! I've always had attached devices showing up on all bands in the status screen.
Message 285 of 897
Diggie3
Luminary

Have you also always had access control on?
Message 286 of 897
Diggie3
Luminary

I turned access control off again and rebooted. Attached devices still showed 2.4Ghz devices. So it's not a function of having access control on or off.

What is interesting is that allowed devices does list devices that have dropped off the attached devices screen.

I guess more digging is required.
Message 287 of 897
vincentw56
Tutor

Continue to lose 2.4. Only a reboot fixes it. 5G works fine. Wish I wouldn't have gotten rid of my Asus router. This one is a POS.

Message 288 of 897
Stooby2
Tutor

Just rolled back to 1.0.9.12 1.2.23, which was the version I was on before this debacle started. Everything was stable then, so I'll see what happens now. Enabled 5ghz and my guest channel as before.

Message 289 of 897
Amlodd
Aspirant

After updating firmware to 1.0.9.18 , all was well for a few days and then Amzon Echo/Dot failed to connect to network and then Nest Thermostat would not retain a connection. This affected both 2.4. & 5Ghz wifi connections.

Resetting these products did nothing at all and the tech support teams at each vendor could not fix the issues - Nest even thought it was probably thier hardware had failed.

In a last attempt to resolve, regressing back to firmware version R7000-V1.0.9.12_1.2.23 immedeatly allowed all the units to reconnect and hopefully will remain stable as they had been for many months.

Hope this helps

Message 290 of 897
Stooby2
Tutor

@Stooby2 wrote:

Just rolled back to 1.0.9.12 1.2.23, which was the version I was on before this debacle started. Everything was stable then, so I'll see what happens now. Enabled 5ghz and my guest channel as before.

Well that didn't work. I can't be bothered with this anymore, taken the router out and running the Virgin Superhub again for now. I'll look into returning the router as it's less than a year old.

Message 291 of 897
mzguy
Apprentice

@Stooby2 wrote:

@Stooby2 wrote:

Well that didn't work. I can't be bothered with this anymore, taken the router out and running the Virgin Superhub again for now. I'll look into returning the router as it's less than a year old.

Please let us know if Netgear compensates you in some way.

Message 292 of 897
Stooby2
Tutor

@mzguy wrote:

@Stooby2 wrote:

@Stooby2 wrote:

Please let us know if Netgear compensates you in some way.

I think it's going to be a fight as they say they only offer a 90 day warranty. But as they've buggered it up, I feel a small claims court action coming on. Getting hold of their support is dreadful.

Message 293 of 897
Netabc123
Guide

For those still struggling with network stability, I got tired of either the 2.4 or 5 ghz network dropping at random so I ended up disabling the 5ghz network like some suggested in the begining of this thread and it's been smooth sailing through the holidays (.18 firmware). Annoying I essentially have to cripple equipment that Netgear broke, but it's better than mucking with this crap every day. I almost forgot I was even having problems.

Message 294 of 897
NikZ
Aspirant

I have the same problem with my router even after V1.0.9.20_1.2.28 upgrade. 2.4Ghz devices are losing connection after some time and the only workaround is a reboot of the router! Never had Smart Connect enabled! Is there a fix for this?

Very disappointing from Netgear!!!!!

Message 295 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

Fix is buying a new router. Or wait a a couple of months, maybe Netgear will fix the problem........ You need a lot of patience.
Message 296 of 897
Yann7878
Tutor

@Stooby2 wrote:

@Stooby2 wrote:

Moving back to 1.0.7.10_1.2.3 solved completely the issue for me:

- no more disconnections on 2.4

- speed on wire moved from 95mbps to 350mbps

I did it 10 days ago and all problems disappeared.

Try and let me know.

Message 297 of 897
Djzgfx
Tutor

Nothing but problems on .20. Switched back to tomato and I’ve got no more problems.
Message 298 of 897
locmer
Aspirant

Same problem here, WIFI issues with Samsung phones after V1.0.9.14_1.2.25. (.14 version is the one that works.)

1.0.9.18 and 1.0.9.20 (hot fix) do not fix this issue. So I have to run a router with a number of known vulneratbilities, it is a shame. The Q/A at Netgear is lacking severely, this is all preventable with automated testing of new FW roll outs. IMO they should point out the problems with the Samsung phones and also keep readable bugs for their end users. The time that gets lost by millions of  individuals having this figure this out is immense. And also the good ones that try to keep their routers up to date get punished the hardest.

Message 299 of 897
Bas99
Guide

Bought a new router (tplink) before flashing tomato on the r7000: what a relief. R7000 is functioning as an access point while the c5400 has become the ‘mainrouter’. No slow data throughput anymore, no 2.4 ghz WiFi problems.

Message 300 of 897
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7