Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Feedback for R7000 New firmware 1.0.9.18

Ceepeebee
Tutor

I'm sorry @droman but who is the moderator? I'm up for PM'ing and getting involved.

Message 376 of 897
AtoZ
Apprentice

@Ceepeebee just look back to yesterday or day before.  You will see post from netgear person looking for volunteers.

Message 377 of 897
AtoZ
Apprentice

Just a note to everyone that used or is using older firmware to remain stable...in March of 2017 alone, there were roughly 2000 router attacks.  Hackers were using the newest hacks to gain access to routers and to make them work as a group to gather sensitive information and attack hospitals, companies, or government entities.  Going to firmware that's roughly a year old or six months old is not doing anyone any favors.  This is not a fix.  I don't just use my systems to watch netflix.  Myself, like many others are reliant on the updated security of routers to maintain the safety of our information as well has client information.  Please, please, all of you need to watch the old firmware.  You currently make up a large group that can be easily hacked and used for larger attacks.  Thank you.

Message 378 of 897
Kendigr
Aspirant

The exact same issue continues after latest firmware update.   I updated the firmware, did a hard rest and have tried various types of settings like disabling DoS protection.  The router randomly drops one or the other band, it will drop 2.4 then i have to go into the router make a setting change and save then it will come back up.  Later it will drop the 5ghz and I repeat the procedure (or just un plug and plug back in the router).  I am going to give Comcast a call and just rent their new router.  This has been going on for months and I run a busines which can't afford this type of down time.  

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 379 of 897
Crozzaa
Aspirant

What other choices do we have? @AtoZ

Message 380 of 897
AtoZ
Apprentice

Exactly my sentiments this whole time. This needed to be high priority. Not wait and see who complains. You currently have two choices. Flash router with advanced tomato or buy a new one. You can certainly go backwards, but do that with serious caution.
Message 381 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

@AtoZ Advanced Tomato isn't Krack fixed. Or am I wrong?
Message 382 of 897
vincentw56
Tutor

@HWAM wrote:

And it doesn't support the AC protocol. Or am I wrong?

Message 383 of 897
AtoZ
Apprentice

See, im glad someone is watching me...
Message 384 of 897
mzguy
Apprentice

@HWAM wrote:

It's not. I researched this a bit a few weeks ago. Forum posts over there indicate it may not be KRACK fixed for a long time, if ever.

Message 385 of 897
juched
Apprentice

Advance Tomato supports AC on the R7000. Used it to 18 months.
Message 386 of 897
juched
Apprentice

Fix for Krack is the client side. So if you are using this as a standard router then you don’t need krack fix.
Message 387 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

@juched Be careful with this. I don't think it's enough to fix the client side only.
Message 388 of 897
mzguy
Apprentice

@juched wrote:
Fix for Krack is the client side. So if you are using this as a standard router then you don’t need krack fix.

Fix for KRACK is on either side. I posted links about this before in these forums, or you can read the website FAQ for the exploit. Because not all clients are fixed, and some may never be fixed, router-side fixes are extremely useful.

Message 389 of 897
brianhelman
Apprentice

Ok, this has the potential to be a long response since it's part about Netgear's response and part philosophical..

I work in the networking infrastructurer/security field.  It would be very embarassing for me to have a home router that gets compromised.  The reason I chose the R7000 in the first place was because of it's strong signal (1 unit to *almost* cover a 3200sq ft house) and the fact that they keep the code up to date.  This second part has come to bite us all..

I have been on this thread since the beginning.  People clearly don't understand the repercussioins of downgrading the code.  The problem with a router is, by definition it *must* be Internet-facing.  That means it's exposed, not to individuals attacking it (by the way, take a look at your logs to see who's [trying to] probe your network), but also bots, which pound on it daily.  I'm all the way down to 1.0.7.12.  It's been ~36 hours and I appear to be very stable.  But it's still 1.0.7.12!  

Advanced Tomato looks great, but without a KRACK fix, now all I've done is fixed the border in exchange for an "inside" attack.  In my particular case, that's not quite as bad, since my I'm in a sub-suburban area.  I would not recommend it to anyone in a densely-packed area.  I'm more concerned that KRACK has been out for a while, and AT hasn't fixed it, which tells me development has stalled/stopped (I haven't followed Tomato in years).  It makes me wonder what else hasn't been patched.

At this point, as a security professional, I have to recommend people move on to another vendor.  Ubiquiti, Asus (open source), Synology, Google, Eero -- all provide systems that are regularly patched and don't seem to be ignored.  

I have purchased another router.  Blizzard notwithstanding, hopefully it will arrive tomorrow.  I'll put it in production over the weekend.  My R7000 will probably stay at 1.0.7.12, but put in AP-only mode; signal strength turned down; placed in a lower-signal area of my house.  Eventually, it will get retired.

Netgear appears to be addressing the issue, just far too slowly for my acceptance.  This is still better than some of the other vendors (notice the ones missing in the list above).  I don't see me coming back to Netgear for my primary router for a while, but I won't discount it.  But I expect it will be years.  The larger damage is, I won't be recommending their routers to people for a long time.  

Good luck, everyone.

Message 390 of 897
Diggie3
Luminary

The conversation has got a bit off topic.

If you just joining, here is where things stand:
* Devices are dropping off WiFi for many users, seemingly also not just on the R7000 but on other models with recent firmwares too.
* The 1.0.9.20 "hot fix" for R7000 doesn't fix it.
* There is no settings change that works for most people.
* Most people do find good stability and speed when they roll back to the 1.0.7.12 firmware from March 2017. Note that if you roll back you are undoing security fixes that were made since then and you may temporarily lose some features/functionality. Generally folks are finding a factory reset hasn't been necessary when doing this.
* If your router is a different model you might try firmwares released around the March 2017 timeframe.
* Netgear posted a statement and is asking for affected users willing to help them debug here:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Feedback-for-R7000-New-firmware-1-0-9-18/m-p...

At this time, helping Netgear debug is the best thing you can do to help yourself and fellow device owners.
Message 391 of 897
nightshark
Aspirant

If anyone is interested I loaded this firmware. Apparently the R7000 and Asus RT-AC68U have the same hardware. It was been ported to work with our routers. No issues since loading it. You can use the Asus router app on your phone if you need that. Still a pain but I couldn't wait for a fix from Netgear and wasn't going to sacrifice security.

Xwrt-Vortex

Message 392 of 897
Diggie3
Luminary

Does anyone on the thread know of a particular action they can perform on a device on their Network that causes the problem to occur extremely rapidly/reliably, other than just waiting?

Being able to reproduce the problem rapidly is probably key to fixing it. If you know how to trigger it quickly and reliably please post what the device is, what you do with it, and any information you have about it's own OS/firmware version.
Message 393 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

@nightshark How is XWRT? Stable? Nice Gui? Is it krack fixed? Is it useful to test?
Message 394 of 897
nightshark
Aspirant

I've had no issues since switching. I personally like the layout better than the netgear firmware. It appears Krack is fixed with the latest release. http://xvtx.ru/xwrt/changelog.htm

Message 395 of 897
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

We understand that some customer may be experiencing difficulty remaining connected to the 2.4GHz band of their R7000 router.  NETGEAR is aware some customers are experiencing this.  We are continuing to investigate this to determine root cause and provide a solution.  However, from reviewing the information to date we have some general directions but need your assistance to find the absolute cause.  To that end, If you are experiencing this difficulty and are willing to work with NETGEAR to help troubleshoot the connection, we would like to work with you.

What to expect if you choose to work with NETGEAR may require some or all of the following:

• NETGEAR will need to load software on you computer (Teamviewer)
  • The process could potentially than an hour or more
  • You will need to be in front of your computer for the duration of the testing
  • You will need to provide personal information such as name, phone number, etc.
  • Current firmware version
  • Other firmware versions tested
  • Hardware version
  • Detailed problem description
  • Can the issue be reproduced
  • Error messages or screenshots
  • Was the unit replaced
  • Network diagram/topology
  • Configuration files
  • Configuration’s LAN IP, username, and password
  • List of wireless devices connected to the 2.4GHz band
  • Description of Environment (e.g. – distances, floors, brick walls, etc.)
  • How often the disconnects happen
  • Have you tried connecting devices at a closer range (i.e 6 feet)?
  • Do all the devices on the band disconnect at the same time
  • Are you having disconnects on the 5GHz band
  • What wireless channels have you tried
  • Netstumbler/inSSIDer (iStumbler, if Mac OS X) screenshot(s) (MUST be included in all escalations): (file name) Screenshots should show all channels)
  • Packet captures (Wireshark) included: (file name) (should capture when issue happens)
  • When did issue start to occur? After 6months? After a firmware upgrade? Etc.
  • Is the device running hot?
  • Have you tried resetting the unit to factory default?

If you still interesting in working with us please fill out this form

https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/1ef6d2778684471989adfe2e26eb3860

If you prefer not to troubleshoot with us at the time, we will provide updates to this community conversation as they become available.

Thanks and we look forward to help resolving these difficulties for you and the entire NETGEAR community

Message 396 of 897
Diggie3
Luminary

@brianhelman What you wrote is fairly accurate.

Aside from this issue that's forcing me to run older, less secure firmware, I have been trying to reach out to the moderators for days now asking if I can post a guide to help users replace the weak VPN certs on the router. I just get silence. Sure, they will respond to the half of my message about the wifi drop, the rest is ignored.

Meanwhile the marketing folk are off posting stuff about speed, stability, security! It is a house of cards at this point.

I swore off DLink for life after they went through broken firmware after broken firmware, blocked downgrades, and had major ongoing security issues.

Netgear is in a market with so many new, highly rated competitors, and they won't even return communication with people who are trying to help them and their customers. It's infuriating.
Message 397 of 897
shoman94
Apprentice

Message 398 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

@shoman94 Yeah, they came out their cave, finally. I guess they have a lot to read. Unfortunately they already lost a lot of customers. And they still think the problem only occurs at a few customers. Wakeup Netgear and tell us what you already know. Why is a reset, software and hardware, reflash an old stable firmware not working for me?? Do you have a clue?
Message 399 of 897
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

Just installed V1.0.9.18_1.2.27, and wireless 2,4 and 5 units seems to loose connection with router. Not using SmartConnect or QoS. I need to apply setting every day now and router seems slower than useually to administrate. I tried reset it several times without positive result for longer time.

Are there any progress with this issue ? since it's a bit annoying. Please advise for a solution!?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 400 of 897
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7