Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Feedback for R7000 New firmware 1.0.9.18

AaronB483
Aspirant

Just found an article about Google Chromecast and Google Home cause temporarily Wifi dropouts.

This is from an TP-Link engineer. http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-2050.html.

I don't think this is the issue, but the complaint I read about effects  Asus, Linksys, Netgear, TP-Link or Synology.

Still going strong with Tomato.

NameTomatoUSB
ModelNetgear R7000
ChipsetARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l)
CPU Freq1000 MHz (dual-core)
Flash Size128MB

TimeSat, 13 Jan 2018 13:53:11 -0500
Uptime14 days, 16:43:26
CPU Usage0.58%
CPU Load (1 / 5 / 15 mins)0.33 / 0.09 / 0.07
Memory Usage35.68 MB / 249.64 MB (14.29%)

NVRAM Usage35.13 KB / 64.00 KB (54.88%)

CPU Temperature57°C
Wireless Temperatureeth1: 2.4G - 47°C    eth2: 5G - 48°C
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 601 of 897
Wrocky
Guide

@AaronB483 wrote:

Just found an article about Google Chromecast and Google Home cause temporarily Wifi dropouts.

I don't think this is the issue, but the complaint I read about effects  Asus, Linksys, Netgear, TP-Link or Synology.

I came across the article, or certainly similar at:  https://www.androidauthority.com/google-home-max-wifi-830129/

which describes a similar issue with the Google Home Max.   I wonder how many of us are running Google Home Devices.  I am. running a few.

Message 602 of 897
Bas99
Guide

@Wrocky wrote:

@AaronB483 wrote:

I came across the article, or certainly similar at:  https://www.androidauthority.com/google-home-max-wifi-830129/

which describes a similar issue with the Google Home Max.   I wonder how many of us are running Google Home Devices.  I am. running a few.

I don’t have Chromecast or Google Home Max; I have a Netgear r7000 and a tp link router. The Netgear has WiFi connection problems but the tp link has not in my configuration. There must be another problem (on top of the problem you describe).

EDIT: after reading more information my conclusion might be not correct: the tp link router affected is the c1200 (I have another type) and a WiFi disconnect can be invoked by a device that is supporting Google Cast (by generating a kind of WiFi packet storm).

Message 603 of 897
Diggie3
Luminary

@AaronB483 That is very insightful!

I have Google Home devices AND Android phones on Android 8.1 *AND* recently I was debugging them which involved connecting to them with ADB and dumping the device logs with "adb logcat". I can confirm from what I saw it did look like they were sometimes spewing MDNS messages. If that is exhausting memory on the router it could be the problem.
Message 604 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

My R7000 2.4GHz Wi-Fi dropped when I was away from home. No Google Cast up and running. No Oreo up and running. Just regular devices which were there before the firmware update. The R7000 firmware update did something wrong with our R7000 systems. I don't think we must blame other devices. Nothing changed in my environment, only the R7000 firmware.
Message 605 of 897
Rikardo007
Tutor

Same here. I have 3 kids and a nanny in my house.  I have multiple Nexus Players (chromecast built in) for a couple years, 2 standalone chromecasts for 3 years, 2 Brother wireless network printers (3-5 years), 3 iPads, 3 Android tablets, 1 iMac, 3 laptops, 2 smart TVs, 5 smartphones, 2 wireless IP cameras, 1 Ooma Telo2 (wired ethernet to router), and 1 Google home (since November 2017). I've had my R7000 for a couple years now, rarely had to reboot. Everything was working fine until this friggen .18 firmware update. Tried to revert to 1.0.7.12 (reset afterwards and manually entered all settings) and was stable for a few days, but now still dropping multiple times a day. I do have 4 separate SSIDs (one for each 2.4G and 5G main and guest), no QOS.

I'm one of those "if it ain't broke, then don't fix it". The only reason why I did the update was because I was about to add a HDD to the router (did not connect it yet) and I noticed there was a firmware update. I hadn't updated the firmware since I first set it up and I remember getting a couple emails from NG in the past year regarding security patches. What a mistake.

@HWAM wrote:
My R7000 2.4GHz Wi-Fi dropped when I was away from home. No Google Cast up and running. No Oreo up and running. Just regular devices which were there before the firmware update. The R7000 firmware update did something wrong with our R7000 systems. I don't think we must blame other devices. Nothing changed in my environment, only the R7000 firmware.

Message 606 of 897
Robb_H
Tutor

Experiencing the same problem as most others seem to have -- unreliable connections on 2.4 GHz after "upgrading" to this version. I've seen a lot of praise for XWRT-Vortex, but after doing some background research, it seems that the source code for the modifications to the XWRT-Merlin code base had not been released to the public. That makes me very reluctant to install it.

What other options are available? I see a few references to different versions of Tomato. I've used dd-wrt in the past, but it seems to have fallen into disfavor. Any recommendations for something that works and is truly open source?

Message 607 of 897
AtoZ
Apprentice

And people wonder why we get frustrated. Can anyone give me a good reason why the most recent folks on these boards were still directed to do a firmware upgrade with something that doesnt work? This makes no sense netgear! Pull the damn updates down and hide them. No one should be upgrading their routers! Smh
Message 608 of 897
LucidInsanity
Initiate

Same issue here. All these disconnects started after the lastest fimware update. Was running flawless for over a year with 0 issues until this update.

Message 609 of 897
Rikardo007
Tutor

While they claim that is an issue, i have 2 Nexus players and an Galaxy S8 on Oreo and my setup was running fine for months until i updated to the .18 firmware.
Message 610 of 897
Rikardo007
Tutor

I did read the article. While there may be issues related to some Google products, i did not experience any problems for months until i updated the firmware on the R7000 to .18. I've had my S8 since May and Nexus Players updated to Oreo approx Sept 2017. My issues began within hours of the NG firmware update.
Message 611 of 897
rogier64
Luminary

@Robb_H wrote:

Experiencing the same problem as most others seem to have -- unreliable connections on 2.4 GHz after "upgrading" to this version. I've seen a lot of praise for XWRT-Vortex, but after doing some background research, it seems that the source code for the modifications to the XWRT-Merlin code base had not been released to the public. That makes me very reluctant to install it.

NG firmware is not open source as well. Have a talk with Edward Snowden about American software :-))

Message 612 of 897
Amlodd
Aspirant

Whilst there are many references to using Google products and Android etc, I have none of these and can confirm that the issues highlighted in this (and other) threads only became apparent 'immedeatly' following the update to the latest version of the firmware. Not only on the R7000 router that is some years old, but on an R7800 router to which I ugraded the firmware straight out of the box.

Whilst the problem may be exagerated by Google, or other products, for me, it is clearly related to the NetGear firmware change - unless we want to start introducing Apple and Synology products to the mix as well.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 613 of 897
Diggie3
Luminary

To save new people reading dozens of pages, if you want to stick with stock FW instead of Vortex or Tomato until NG puts out a fixed version nearly everyone has stability going back to 1.0.7.12 (March 2017), and some as far up as 1.0.9.6, but generally not after that. If you want 1.0.9.6 you will also have to turn off automatic updates after installing it.
Message 614 of 897
rogier64
Luminary

@Diggie3 wrote:
To save new people reading dozens of pages, if you want to stick with stock FW instead of Vortex or Tomato until NG puts out a fixed version nearly everyone has stability going back to 1.0.7.12 (March 2017), and some as far up as 1.0.9.6, but generally not after that. If you want 1.0.9.6 you will also have to turn off automatic updates after installing it.

About 8 months ago my R7000 became unstable after a firmware upgrade. I never got it stable again, even returning to an old firmware. But test it yourself. I tried different alternative firmware versions and found XWRT-Vortex the best there is if you also want security patches.

Message 615 of 897
potamus29
Guide

I rolled back to FW version 1.0.9.10_1.2.21 five days ago, still ok, no drops.

Message 616 of 897
Wirewalker
Aspirant

I bought mine new about 2 weeks ago so I didnt have any experience on any other version of software but I did lose my connected home thermostate when moving to this new router. After about an hour of playing around, I found that if you back your max speed down to the middle selection (286?) you will be able to connect your older devices. I think the new max is 600mbps. on my old netgear the max was 500mbps. On the fastest setting the thermostate wouldnt "see" the 2.4Ghz network. As soon as I changed that setting it showed up, connected, and I havent had a drop since (about a week). Hope this helps.

Message 617 of 897
aabshire
Apprentice

UPDATE: I have been working with Netgear and running a newer version provided to me since Friday morning and have had no disconnects, wifi speed is great, running both 2.4G & 5G (using same SSID) and guest network.  I also have Google home units & Echos.  Hopefully this will lead to a released version of this or at least a broader Beta to test.

Message 618 of 897
Rikardo007
Tutor

How many days have you been testing this version?

How severe were your issues before?

@aabshire wrote:

UPDATE: I have been working with Netgear and running a newer version provided to me since Friday morning and have had no disconnects, wifi speed is great, running both 2.4G & 5G (using same SSID) and guest network.  I also have Google home units & Echos.  Hopefully this will lead to a released version of this or at least a broader Beta to test.

Message 619 of 897
AlpineKid66
Guide

Did you realize that aabshire answered your question? Since Friday morning.

Rikardo007 wrote:

How many days have you been testing this version?

How severe were your issues before?

aabshire wrote:

Message 620 of 897
aabshire
Apprentice

...since Friday morning....  about 60 hours, I was having pretty regular disconnects after the 9.18 update.

Message 621 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

@aabshire Did they say they found any bugs? Were they able to reproduce the problem at their development department? Do you have more information?
Message 622 of 897
aabshire
Apprentice

I did not inquire into all the details but can say they requested devices with software versions, etc. in order to setup the invironment in their lab. I know they had their wifi hardware vendor involved and some of the updates/ debuging file came from them.  Also there was something about QoS table and needing to update the database, even if not using QoS, due to them finding some android packet drops in that version.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 623 of 897
TerryPh
Virtuoso

I also ran the firmware sent to me by Netgear with debug, received on Friday 12/12/18 and it was for R8000 model. I was able to catch and reproduce the problem, this time with extensive logs, with multiple scenerios and the logs were sent back to Production Manager. Hopefully these logw will really shed a light into what were going inside the router that causes problems, well known to us, ie internet disconnection, wifi internet speed slowed down, DNS connection, USB connectionm, seft-restarting, self-rebooting, etc.. They might or might not have solution as fast as they want to be....

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 624 of 897
jomihi
Tutor

Hi NG,

it looks to me that you are now close to an Beta version ... If you need some one to test this in a europen enviroment with europen settings (small HOO, NAS, WLAN repeater, Printer, Scanner, IPTV....), pls give me a note.

But only if you feel it make sense, I have to run my HOO during (Austrian) day time 🙂

BR

Michael

Message 625 of 897
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7