Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Feedback for R7000 New firmware 1.0.9.18

potamus29
Guide

Hi Hurricane28, interested in your comments, work for Netgear do you?

I contacted Netgear regarding the problems that I experienced before I found this forum. I have found more support and information here than I received from Netgear, which was precisely zero.

The problems were not caused by Google devices in my case as I don't have any and after performing all available checks and resets the  solutions were to revert to an earlier release, instal third party firmware or say goodbye to the Netgear router.

I initially reverted to an earlier release which worked, but obviously there could be security issues, so rather than dump a reasonable piece of hardware decided to install other firmware, went for XWRT-Vortex.

What do people expect from Netgear?, feedback, you know, simple communication. If they had they would have prevented a large number of people from losing faith in them as a company and buying from their competitors. I also think they should remove the faulty firmware release from their website.

I suggest you read a few more of the posts before trying to exonerate Netgear from blame.

Not everyone is as expert as you think you are.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 801 of 897
Lychee_r7
Aspirant

The WIFI performance is still terriable on this router. Please have your 'software engineers' actually release something that works for such an expensive router.

I am so mad right now. I figured out that a 11 year old router does better than this stupid router. R7000

Message 802 of 897
hurricane28
Guide

I have no problems with Wifi to be honest, nor with the rest of the network and i stream 4K video's through my network via Wifi...

I have 500/500 Internet connection and in speed test i get 515/515..

Message 803 of 897

Almost 4 weeks I've been watching this thread.  Have owned my R7000 a few years now.  Has been one of the best routers I've owned.  But I'm still waiting for the smoke to clear before updating.  If .26 is still questionable, I'm waiting for .30 or later.  I've been through the pitfalls and instability of bad FW.  I've never seen Netgear take this long to rectify a bad FW release. So for now, I continue to wait. 

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 804 of 897
hurricane28
Guide

Exactly my words.

I had bad experiene once and it turned out that Windows forced an update that completely screwed up my home network... Took me forever to figur it out.

I too wait for new "stable" release as i have no problems as far as i know.

Message 805 of 897
pierreca
Aspirant

When is Netgear gonna fix these problems, have been waiting since beginning od december for Fixes.

just applied this R7000 V1.0.9.26_10.2.31

Now , Chromecast will allow me to connect with Phone home app on either 2.4g and 5G.

But cannot discover device once setup,  to apply cast/screen

Chromecast is getting to internet , because screen saver pages update.

Prior to this was at R7000-V1.0.9.18_1.2.27.chk  with R7000-v1.0.9.14_1.2.25 Downgrade

Im ganna downgrade to R7000-v1.0.9.14_1.2.25

And try again.

Message 806 of 897
pierreca
Aspirant

Hello no a happy customer

could not watch showbox or use chromecast with V1.0.9.26_10.2.31 GUI V1.0.9.26_2.1.38.1

So downgraded to Hardware Version R7000 to V1.0.9.14_1.2.25 GUI V1.0.9.18_2.1.38.1

Now can watch Show box  ChromeCast works now. found device and connected.

hope you guys fix this soon, Please hurry

Message 807 of 897
potamus29
Guide

So explain why he needs to update Chromecast when it works perfectly with an earlier Netgear firmware. Isn't it logical to assume from this that it's Netgear that's at fault not someone else? Just admit that Netgear is clueless, hasn't produced a robust solution and we'll all stop moaning and go elsewhere.
Message 808 of 897
pierreca
Aspirant

In response to your question What version of Chromecast are you running? 

Message 809 of 897
pierreca
Aspirant

As per your request.

Cast firmware version: 1.29.104827 country code:CA

Message 810 of 897
schumaku
Guru

The fix was not deployed to the Android or Chromecast devices by pushing a new update with a new version. The fix was pushed by updating the Google Play services.

And afraid, the MDNS problem already started in Summer 2017 on the Nexus Player.

Message 811 of 897
pierreca
Aspirant

Hi , Still Problems.

For one thing

Chromecast curent production firmware 1.29.xyz  only one available, unless you know of way to force force firmware update to 1.30.xyz , this update is usually done automatically if required.

And by the way i can setup Chromacast no problems.

even with the current R7000 firmware with down grade and find it.  , can't cast.

It connects then disconnects rightaway.

common Netgear fix this.

Been going on to long.

Thank good a have a spare router to use.

Almost to point of using other firmware.

Your chance to fix this for customers is getting less and less.

Message 812 of 897
pierreca
Aspirant

No others
Message 813 of 897
pierreca
Aspirant

Hey 

i'm only on here because NETGEAR is not fixing there problems with firmware.

since before Xmas.

An there has been no official information on solving these issues.

I have read it, i have no other Chrome devices.

Only android devices,

the utility i am using is Chrome HOME app.

i can setup ChromeCast. on 2.4 and 5g , when i go to cast , it connects , then disconnects

i run show box on androide S7 and RCA tablet.

this was never a problem before.

Message 814 of 897
rogier64
Luminary

Still blaming Google for the **bleep**ty firmware I see. How long can this tragedy be. Buy another brand or simply flash third party firmware to get rid of all problems.

Message 815 of 897
hurricane28
Guide

What 3rd party software are you talking about?

Message 816 of 897
rogier64
Luminary

There are several alternative firmwares like DD-WRT, DD-WRT-Kong, Advanced Tomato and XWRT-Vortex. I'm using XWRT-Vortex on my R7000 (380.69_2) and I'm very enthousiastic about it. I'll never go back to stock firmware.

Message 817 of 897

It is easy for me to solve the problems I have with the R7000 router, problems that the netgear is unable to solve or does not want to solve. I recommend everyone not to buy netgear products at least for a while, maybe they will realize that we, their customers, are important. I definitely will not buy any other product in the next few years due to bad support/firmware issues.
Message 818 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

840 messages....
And still people have hope and stay with Netgear. Unbelievable. Don't waste your time and buy a new working router from another brand or flash another firmware. Just stop with this nonsense here.
Message 819 of 897
potamus29
Guide

Case850. Apologies if this seems like a stupid question but, if the problem is caused by Google products, why do the problems not materialise on earlier firmware? Prior to giving up on Netgear firmware I downgraded to V1.0.9.10_1.2.21 and had no problems.The problems only appeared with the last official full update. Haven't risked any of the Hot fixes or Betas. If Netgear are so certain that they've fixed it with these, why is 1.0.9.18 still number one on the download page ready for other unsupectng souls to have all of the problems?

The reason I didn't stick with the downgrade was the obvious security risk.

Message 820 of 897
rogier64
Luminary

@Case850 hopefully you know @HWAM is right.

Message 821 of 897
pierreca
Aspirant

Your statement is off the wall, no body expect Netgear to be perfet, just admit and communicate gte it fixed or tell us what is going on.

You have mad emy mind up. Thanks a lot.

Now i have 10 or more  routers to change to non-stock firmware. A lot of work and driving to fix.

Since you had 2+ month to fix this.

Will try to get Chrome cast working with update.

O by the way , can't do update to ChromeCast with current Router firmware because cant find device, once it on the networks.

Have to use downgrade firmware, then upgrade again.

Will let you know.

Message 822 of 897
IrvSp
Master

wrote:
It is easy for me to solve the problems I have with the R7000 router, problems that the netgear is unable to solve or does not want to solve. I recommend everyone not to buy netgear products at least for a while, maybe they will realize that we, their customers, are important. I definitely will not buy any other product in the next few years due to bad support/firmware issues.

I see many people state this. Do you really think it is going to bother them? This isn't a Mom and Pop shop you can stand in front and picket. You already 'gave them the money', and unless you are a sole purchaser for a humongous corporation that declares no more purchases from Netgear and tells a Netgear Rep. when they ask why that is.

You can tell all your friends too, but how many sales do you thing that will be?

How many people do you think are having problems? Do you know the percentages? Do you know if NG sales have been impacted?

I suspect a very low percentage are having problems.

Also, are you sure other home network vendors are also not having problems? Everyone I've had h/w from over the years have had some sort of problem from poor performance to firmware update problems, to premature failures.

I'd also venture to say a very large percentage of the NG h/w is installed and never touched again. It just worked when installed and continues to work. I would think unless the AUTO UPDATE function is active, which could cause some problems.

Router's age as well. For some, the first sign of 'failure' is enough for people to upgrade to the latest as well.

Still, threatening to never buy again and tell the world is most likely falling on deaf ears here.

Message 823 of 897
mzguy
Apprentice

@Case850 : HWAM is right. You continue to ignore the facts that you continue to ignore while you criticize others and try to shift blame away from Netgear. Why? Do you work for Netgear?

If you don't work for Netgear, why do you mislead others and shift blame away from Netgear? Both I and HWAM have technical backgrounds. And besides, the logic is simple:

1. Those without Google Cast devices have this issue.

2. The disconnects due to Netgear started with a firmware upgrade for many, not with a Cast installation.

3. Netgear admits problems beyond Google-caused ones. Why don't you?

Message 824 of 897
mzguy
Apprentice

OK... my last post disappeared after I was told it was awaiting approval. In it I recommended a product that does not have issues like Netgear does.

Is that why my post is gone? Did anyone subscribed to this topic receive it via email so I can re-post? If so, please direct message me. Thanks.

Message 825 of 897
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7