Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware 1.0.11.136 won’t stop initializing

Grouchi
Aspirant

Firmware 1.0.11.136 won’t stop initializing

My nighthawk AC1900 R7000 router won’t stop initializing. Multiple times a day the firmware will reinitialize and cause my whole network to go down. I’ve tried reflashing the firmware with no luck. I understand there was a buffer overflow hack that could be executed in the older firmware versions, but this firmware is allegedly supposed to fix this.
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Firmware 1.0.11.136 won’t stop initializing

What do you mean by "won’t stop initializing"

Is the router rebooting or loosing it's connection to the ISP modem? 

How often does this happen? 

Does the Internet LED on top of the router show AMBER when this happens? 

Any of the following enabled? 

Armor, Circle, Traffic Meter.

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.

Message 2 of 6
Grouchi
Aspirant

My router is a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 and the mode is AC1900

The router will suddenly reboot and when I check the logs it says “[Initialized, firmware version: V1.0.11.136]” this will happen 3-5 times during the day and will often loop constantly for up to an hour in the 12am-3am time range. When this happens it is possible to plug directly into the modem and I will still have internet.

When the reboot happens the power and internet LEDs will turn amber. After the initialization completes I am receiving the following from the logs

[Internet disconnected] , [Internet connected] , [Time synchronized with NTP server]

At this point I am able to reconnect and DHCP is I’ll reissue IP addresses.

I do not have traffic meter, circle, or armor enabled.

The modem is a Altice FiberGateway GR140DG provided by Optimum. This modem is setup in bridge mode do to not having the option of a modem that will allow for the router portion to be turned off completely. It is connected to the Netgear via a Cat5e cable. I can remove that cable from my router and plug it into a computer directly without issue when the Netgear goes down.

I performed a factory reset and reinstalled the firmware from a fresh download on two occasions since this issue started. From my understanding the R7000P is the model that recommends the range of 100-200. This would mean reconfiguring my whole network since I have servers and switches that exist in the 200+ range. Is that absolutely necessary?

I appreciate your help with this immensely.
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

If the modem is in bridge mode then it's router and wifi should be fully disabled. Check with the ISP to ensure about this. 

Yes. .100 to .200 would be recommended. 

If you have some servers and switches on this router, then possible these could be causing problems. 
It's recommeneded that if you have devcies that don't need any router management, set STATIC IP addresses on these devices to an address out side of the .100 to .200 IP address pool on the router. Servers, NAS, Printers, controllers and such are great for this. Where I put my NAS and printers. 

You might start by disconnecting everyhing from the router and do a factory reset and then leave all but one or two wired PCs and wireless devices connected to the router. set .100 to .200 IP address pool. Leave everything else disconnected and see if the router continues to reboots or initiallize. Go with something minimal to help narrow this down. 

Confirm you have a R7000 and not a R7000P router please. 

Message 4 of 6
Grouchi
Aspirant

That’s what it thought with the modem, but they assured me it was set to bridge mode. I’ll have to call and verify. This particular line of modems is odd, because it’s got very limited options to control the network and you can only change those by signing into the modem using your optimum credentials.

I will try taking the server offline to attempt that. Notably I configured a DHCP server and DNS server and turned off the DHCP service on the router to see if that was part of the issue, but even with that the issue did appear. I will try that IP range with the routers DHCP enabled, DNS set to the ISPs DNS and the servers disconnected.

The router is definitely a R7000 and not a R7000P. The ip for the modem/router is 192.168.1.1 and the nighthawk router is 192.168.1.2 so there shouldn’t be any conflicts with that.

I’m thinking that since I do have the the modem/router working at the moment I may unplug all devices from the Nighthawk, reset and enable the emailing of the logs to verify if the issue is happening without any devices connected. If it is still happening I will ensure bridge mode has been enabled on the modem and repeat the previous steps
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like a plan. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements