Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware issue - R7K - Please assign the correct file.the file format is *.img

LeSteph71
Aspirant

Firmware issue - R7K - Please assign the correct file.the file format is *.img

Hi,

I need to update my R7000 (AC1900) with the last firmware.
Each time I tried to upload the firmware I get an error " Please assign the correct file.the file format is *.img"
All firmware found on the netgear support are provided with *.chk extension. At the beginning I think that the problem was linked to the browser. I tested with Chrome , Safari and firefox on my Mac ... same issue , when I used a Windows computer with IE & Chrome ..same issue as well..

I m currently stuck and doesn't find solution after 2 days  , any help is appreciate.
My current firmware is 1.0.0.18_1.0.1

regards

Steph

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
LeSteph71
Aspirant

Re: Firmware issue - R7K - Please assign the correct file.the file format is *.img

Thanks to all.

I put it back to the shop and the technical person confirm that the router has a problem.

He changed for a new one and the update was done without issue.

LeSteph

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Re: Firmware issue - R7K - Please assign the correct file.the file format is *.img

The firmware file is the one with the .chk extension.  Install that onto the router.

Message 2 of 7
LeSteph71
Aspirant

Thanks TheEther

This is what I did , but each time I select the .chk file and tried to upload , I get the message "Please assign the correct file.the file format is *.img"

I renamed a chk to img ..no luck... failed

I seen that the 7500 Firmware was in img format , but for the R7000 , all firmware are in chk.

Regards

LeSteph71

Message 3 of 7
coco1458
Aspirant

Any chance of trying the auto update feature? Might just detect the newest firmware for the router

Message 4 of 7
WAMorgan
Apprentice

Above where you update the firmware is a button that will have the router check for new firmware all by itself. It will then walk you through the installation. It will download the firmware itself and self install it. Before installing the newest software for the R7000 you may want to read about it in this forum. For starters, it makes some many changes that some things just don't work unless you do a factory reset after the install and reconfigure the router. Also, if you're forwading Port 1723, it won't allow you to reenter that. You'll need to use the built-in VPN until they get this fixed.

Message 5 of 7
TheEther
Guru

Are you trying to open the *.chk file on Windows?  If so, don't do that. 

You need to log into the router (point your browser at http://routerlogin.net) and go to ADVANCED > Administration > Router Update.  Click on the Browse button then select the .chk file.  Then click Upload and follow the prompts.  It should install the firmware and reboot.  The whole process will take 2 to 3 minutes.

Message 6 of 7
LeSteph71
Aspirant

Thanks to all.

I put it back to the shop and the technical person confirm that the router has a problem.

He changed for a new one and the update was done without issue.

LeSteph

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7