Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Hard wired windows 8.1 computer can't connect to internet through r6900 router- advice appreciated

jdistefa
Aspirant

Hard wired windows 8.1 computer can't connect to internet through r6900 router- advice appreciated

I recently had to reset my modem and r6900 router. After a router factory reset I was able to connect the majority of my computers to the router and internet. It is using firmware V1.0.2.26_10.0.45.  My windows 8.1 computer is showing in the router as connected but it will not connect to the internet and is not visible to other computers in the network (both wired and wireless). Other computers that connected without a problem are running windows 7, windows 10, and windows 11 some of these wireless and one of the windows 10 is wired. I am thinking this could be a windows 8 issue but don't know where to start and would appreciate any insight anyone might have. I have tried changing dns settings (to both automatic and static) with no luck. 

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
jdistefa
Aspirant

Re: Hard wired windows 8.1 computer can't connect to internet through r6900 router- advice appreciat

It turns out that the problem was hardware related after all. After I replaced the modem and router, AND bypassed the currently installed ethernet port with a usb-ethernet adapted I was able to get back on the internet using the ethernet connection. Thank you all so much for your help!!! The driver update suggestion got me thinking about the ethernet port which lead me to try and bypass the existing port which solved the problem. I definitely appreciate the suggestion! This problem lead me to upgrade my network hardware (router/modem) and scan all of my computers for viruses (some found and removed) so it all turned out well in the end. Thank you!

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 14

All Replies
jdistefa
Aspirant

Re: Hard wired windows 8.1 computer can't connect to internet through r6900 router- advice appreciat

Update- now another computer can't access internet. Also, the modem is a Arris surfboard sb8200. And the dns is set to automatic, ip also set to auto. The ISP is comcast with a cable connection. We are using CAT 6 and 7 cables. Thank you!
Message 2 of 14
plemans
Guru

Do you have ipv6 enabled? 

Message 3 of 14
jdistefa
Aspirant

Yes I have both ipv6 and iPad enabled. Thank you!
Message 4 of 14
Kitsap
Master

A couple of paths to investigate.  Both have to do with the network and internet configuration of your computer.

Is the network you are connected to classified as a Public or Private network?  If you are connected at home it should be private.  I recall Microsoft has tweaked the terminology in this area over the past windows versions.

Is Network Discovery turned on for your computer?  Under Advanced Sharing.  See attached.

Message 5 of 14
jdistefa
Aspirant

Yes network is private. I checked and I have everything set as you suggested but no luck. Thanks for the suggestions!
Message 6 of 14

Have you tried running the network troubleshooter in Windows?

It has become more useful over the years but I can't recall how well that works in Windows 8.

Message 7 of 14
jdistefa
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion! I ran the troubleshooter and it did make some fixes but, the internet access is still blocked when connecting by ethernet cable. I was able to buy and add a wireless adapter so there is now some internet on the computer but, because of the location in the house it is very weak so, I am still working on fixing the ethernet problem. Thank you so much for the suggestion/response!

Message 8 of 14
jdistefa
Aspirant

Update, I installed a new modem and router (netgear AX1800) and Arris SB8200 modem. Things were working great until wifi internet stopped working on my laptop (still not working on the wired desktop either). I can connect to internet on my laptop via ethernet and the nighthawk app indicates all is good with the internet. So, I am thinking it is some setting in the network and I just can't figure out what it could be. When I run the troubleshooter it tells me to unplug modem, then router, etc. I have done this many times and am still having the problem so, there has to be some other solution that doesn't involve me buying all new computers. Any additional tips would be appreciated. Thank you! 

Message 9 of 14

@jdistefa wrote:

the internet access is still blocked when connecting by ethernet cable.

What does that mean? What says "internet blocked"? What is the exact message you get? What are you doing and where does it go wrong?

I am still with @Kitsap in suspecting "the network and internet configuration of your computer".

Message 10 of 14
Kitsap
Master

@jdistefa wrote:

Update, I installed a new modem and router (netgear AX1800) and Arris SB8200 modem. Things were working great until wifi internet stopped working on my laptop (still not working on the wired desktop either). I can connect to internet on my laptop via ethernet and the nighthawk app indicates all is good with the internet. So, I am thinking it is some setting in the network and I just can't figure out what it could be. When I run the troubleshooter it tells me to unplug modem, then router, etc. I have done this many times and am still having the problem so, there has to be some other solution that doesn't involve me buying all new computers. Any additional tips would be appreciated. Thank you! 

I suspect Microsoft has stopped providing driver updates for Windows 8.1 installations.  I do not know what brand of computer you are using, but there is a chance the computer manufacturer has an updated network Ethernet driver for your machine.  It does not hurt to check.

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Just FYI, Windows 8 will no longer be supported by MS at the end of this year. 

Message 12 of 14

@Kitsap wrote:

I do not know what brand of computer you are using, but there is a chance the computer manufacturer has an updated network Ethernet driver for your machine. 

This is worth remembering even if you are using a newer, and safer, version of Windows. Makers of motherboards are hopeless at delivering chip-level driver updates. It can help to track back to the chip makers for support. Intel, Realtek and others drop occasional updates for things like audio, graphics and network chips.

Today Intel delivered yet another update for its integrated graphics chips.

Windows update will not detect most of these new versions.

Message 13 of 14
jdistefa
Aspirant

It turns out that the problem was hardware related after all. After I replaced the modem and router, AND bypassed the currently installed ethernet port with a usb-ethernet adapted I was able to get back on the internet using the ethernet connection. Thank you all so much for your help!!! The driver update suggestion got me thinking about the ethernet port which lead me to try and bypass the existing port which solved the problem. I definitely appreciate the suggestion! This problem lead me to upgrade my network hardware (router/modem) and scan all of my computers for viruses (some found and removed) so it all turned out well in the end. Thank you!

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7