Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help a Noob Out? Trouble with 5G

BoroDeke
Aspirant

Help a Noob Out? Trouble with 5G

Hey there - I was hoping someone in this group might be able to help me out. I'm a noob, for sure, so I appreciate very much any ideas someone has.

I have a R7000, along with an MB8600 modem. ISP is Comcast, and my plan provides 1GB speed. My firmware (just updated yesterday) is 1.0.9.64

We don't use cable for TV, so we have 4-5 AppleTVs, as well as some smart home devices. There are generally 15-20 devices connected to the network at any one time.

In the last few months, i've been noticing some issues with wifi and internet service in general. Comcast came out, checked everything over, said our signal was "too hot", replace a few pieces of coax, and got it set "correctly". However, we are still having trouble. It seems to happen when it rains. 

I began to wonder if it was something in the ethernet cabling under the house (we have one of those centralized boxes where the cable comes in and my modem is there, but the router was connected via ethernet in another room). So, I moved the router right next to the modem. I've done power cycles and factory resets on both.

My issue is that the 5g doesnt stay connected to the internet. I can see it when I scan for networks, and it acts like it wants to connect. But when I select it and try to connect, it fails.

When I reset the router, I chnaged the security settings on the 5g network (disabled them), and it worked fine (speedtest showed 423 down and 41.6 up). However, when i enabled the security back on, the problems started again. 

So, when i'm not connected to 5g i'm getting more like 38.5 down and 22.9 up.

Thanks again, sorry if this is tl;dr.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
IrvSp
Master

Re: Help a Noob Out? Trouble with 5G

Follow instructions here, https://kb.netgear.com/000060253/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-9-42.

I'd suggest also RESETTING the router using the RESET button on the back after updating and entering ALL your settings required MANUALLY, but you can test it first to see if OK. If not, do the RESET. Consult manual how to do that or Google for it.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

Firmware V1.0.9.64 is giving a LOT of users a variety of problems. Go back to the .42 version which seems to cure almost everyone's problems.

Message 2 of 6
BoroDeke
Aspirant

How do i do that? Is there something pinned on here that explains how? And thanks.

Message 3 of 6
BoroDeke
Aspirant

Found this - look right?

NETGEAR regularly releases new firmware versions to improve product performance and add new features. If you want to load a specific firmware version or your router fails to update its firmware automatically, follow these instructions. These instructions do not apply to cable gateways (modem and router combinations).

To manually upgrade your router’s firmware:

1. Download the firmware for your router from the NETGEAR Download Center, save it to your desktop, and unzip the file if needed.
    Note: The correct firmware file uses an .img or .chk extension.  
  2. Using a computer that is connected to your router via an Ethernet cable (wired), launch a web browser from a computer.
    Note: Do not use a computer that is connected wirelessly to the router to upload the firmware. A wireless firmware update might corrupt the router’s firmware, rendering it unusable.
  3. Enter http://www.routerlogin.net.
  4. Enter the router user name and password.
    Note: The user name is admin and the default password is password. The user name and password are case-sensitive.
  5. Select ADVANCED > Administration.
  6. Click the Firmware Update or Router Update button.
    The button label varies by router.
  7. Click Choose File or Browse.
  8. Locate and highlight the saved firmware on your desktop and click Open > Upload.
    Note: Do not interrupt this process as it might cause corruption, which will make your router unusable.
    Your router reboots after the firmware is uploaded. If your router does not reboot, check the Router Status page to confirm whether the new firmware version uploaded.
Message 4 of 6
IrvSp
Master

Follow instructions here, https://kb.netgear.com/000060253/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-9-42.

I'd suggest also RESETTING the router using the RESET button on the back after updating and entering ALL your settings required MANUALLY, but you can test it first to see if OK. If not, do the RESET. Consult manual how to do that or Google for it.

Message 5 of 6
BoroDeke
Aspirant

thanks! Much obliged

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements