Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Home LAN

SighaticaPillow
Aspirant

Home LAN

Hell everyone,

I need some help with my new home set up.  After 8 years with a hotspot being our only internet access option we are finally gettng fiber optic similar to Chattanooga's in our East Tennessee county.  My home is extremely WiFi unfriendly so I am placing 4 WAC505s in separate rooms wired to a POE 8 port unmanaged switch which will connect to my router which wil be connected to the provider's modem.  Overkill probably but this is the last time I am fightng **bleep**ty WiFi.
My question is how do I set up my WAC505s so we can wander from room to room with out losing the WiFi connection?  I guess what I am attempting to do is set this up as a wired mesh system.  I do not want to have to manually switch access points as I move to another room.  I may have one computer hardwired to the system but, I hope that will not be necessary.  

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Home LAN

do you already have the WAC505's? 

they do require an insight subscription. its free for the first year and then costs $ after that. 

And 4 of them are a bit of a purchase. You might be better to check to an orbi setup. its natively got the seamless roaming you're looking for and you can add satellites. Plus they work off both a wired and wireless backhaul depending on what you need. 

Message 2 of 4
SighaticaPillow
Aspirant

The rest of Wac 505s are on the way with one already mounted on the wall.  I thought the subscription was only required for setup and once operational it did not have to be maintained.  At least I hope this is the case.  
The reason for the post is I am pretty ignorant about set up but read enough to come up with good hardware combinations.  I am done with the poor WiFi capabilities of this 1500 square foot house so that is why I decided to go the hardwired route prior to starting the painting of the interior.  I was able to repair additional pull holes since I am painting the entire interior.  Just to explain why this decision was made there are times when TV remotes go wonky and WiFi dies at the kitchen wall and no one has ever figured out why.  A lot of things cleared up when I found that the main panel was never grounded but the remote meter was, but not the poor WiFi.  Idiot electrician.

So any hints on setting the access points up.  Can they be set up to operate off of one IP or is there something else I have to do to make them operate as a single access point.  I saw something about placing them under a single IP while the APs keep their separate IPs but I did not fully understand the concept.

Message 3 of 4

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers. (This is easily done, given Netgear's impenetrable community structure.)

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers about your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. Heaven only knows where that is. But the WAC540 sure ain't a Nighthawk device or a router.

Try here:

Business Wireless - NETGEAR Communities

Plenty of questions there about the WAC540.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7