Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How do I set up an Ethernet connection with R7000?

Don46
Aspirant

How do I set up an Ethernet connection with R7000?

My wireless network is working fine, but I went to some expense to set up ethernet connections to my new home office and to my wife's home office and I want the hard wire connection.  I do not see that option. The desktop computer I'm running is a PC w windows 10.  I have Netgear Genie up and running.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Don46
Aspirant

Re: How do I set up an Ethernet connection with R7000?

After trying everything, I took my desktop into my wife's study, also hard-wired, and it immediately connected via ethernet. So, it had to be bad wiring in my office. It was. The electrician came over, reinstalled the plug on the office end, and it worked fine.  I should have suspected the mechanical problem immediately, given that it was new wiring and apparently not tested. 

thanks all.

Don

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
HiSpeed
Guide

Hi,

For all the home/office machines (not roaming), I suggest you to use static addresses.

That's more efficient and avoids troubles with DHCP client/server dialogs.

For example, if your router LAN IP is 192.168.1.1 you can give addresses like 192.168.1.xxx to your PC's (mask 255.255.255.0) with Gateway and DNS set to 192.168.1.1.

Message 2 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Don46 wrote:

I do not see that option.

Where are you looking?

Message 3 of 6
raven_au
Virtuoso

@Retired_Member wrote:

@Don46 wrote:

I do not see that option.

Where are you looking?

More importantly, what are you looking for, what option are you expecting to see?

You have 4 ethernet ports on the back of the R7000 and you need to plug the ethernet cable (or cables) into one (or each) of those ports.

I really don't undertand what you are asking becuase there is no "option".

As was mentioned you might not want addresses to be automatically assigned to these hard wired devices but that is not what you have asked and there are other considerations to deal with if that is actually what you are asking.

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Don46 wrote:

My wireless network is working fine, but I went to some expense to set up ethernet connections to my new home office and to my wife's home office and I want the hard wire connection.  I do not see that option. The desktop computer I'm running is a PC w windows 10.  I have Netgear Genie up and running.

As others have said, the wired connection is available if you connect up the R7000 LAN ports to your ethernet wiring.  There is no setup needed.

But your PC might be choosing the wireless network even though the LAN is available.  Try turning off the wifi on the PC.  If you have no internet connection after that, try removing/reinserting the ethernet cable in the PC.  If that still fails, try a restart of the PC.

Message 5 of 6
Don46
Aspirant

After trying everything, I took my desktop into my wife's study, also hard-wired, and it immediately connected via ethernet. So, it had to be bad wiring in my office. It was. The electrician came over, reinstalled the plug on the office end, and it worked fine.  I should have suspected the mechanical problem immediately, given that it was new wiring and apparently not tested. 

thanks all.

Don

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7