Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to access and un-bridge a NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 Smart Wi-Fi Router (R8000)

galactica1951
Aspirant

How to access and un-bridge a NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 Smart Wi-Fi Router (R8000)

I am ditching Spectrum.  When I signed up I got Spectrum Router.  I bridged the Nighthawk to the Spectrum Router to have extra Lan Ports.  How do I un-bridge the Nighthawk?  I cannot access the login into the Nighthawk as it takes me to the Spectrum Router.

Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: How to access and un-bridge a NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 Smart Wi-Fi Router (R8000)

If you can access the ISP router, look at the connected client table here for the IP address of the NH router in wireless bridge mode. If you see the IP address, use this IP address to access the R8000 in bridge mode and make the change. 

If all else fails, press the reset button for 10 seonds on the R8000 and setup from scratch. 

Message 2 of 12
galactica1951
Aspirant

Re: How to access and un-bridge a NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 Smart Wi-Fi Router (R8000)

I have a Nighthawk R8000 and would like to connect to Spectrum Internet.  Router is updated to latest version of firmware.  Using Win11 PC with direct Ethernet Cable.  Initially, using Spectrum Wi-fi router for more Lan ports.  Chained Modem (Spectrum Model EN2251)

to Spectrum Router (ModelSAC2V1K) then to Nighthawk.  When I connect Nighthawk directly to Spectrum Cable Modem there is no Ethernet Internet available.  I would like to get a new Netgear Router, as the Nighthawk is 8 years old. First I want to see if I can connect.  What am I doing wrong.  Does Spectrum need a ID and password?

Message 3 of 12

@galactica1951 wrote:

How do I un-bridge the Nighthawk?  I cannot access the login into the Nighthawk as it takes me to the Spectrum Router.

As you are changing your network, a reset is probably the safest option. You will probably end up having to reconfigure the thing anyway.

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 4 of 12

@galactica1951 wrote:

Initially, using Spectrum Wi-fi router for more Lan ports.  Chained Modem (Spectrum Model EN2251)

to Spectrum Router (ModelSAC2V1K) then to Nighthawk. 

You plan to have modem > router > router?

Not sure what you mean by there is no Ethernet Internet available, but two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

I the sequence you describe, the best bet is to put the R8000 into access pount (AP) mode, wired to the primary router.

But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

@galactica1951 wrote:

I have a Nighthawk R8000 and would like to connect to Spectrum Internet.  Router is updated to latest version of firmware. 

Only the version number can confirm that.

You might be surprised by how many "the latest" reports we see here that are no such thing. Sometimes by a large margin.

It depends on how you check. If you use one of the apps, or even the on-board check in the browser graphical user interface (GUI), it can get out of synch with the real world.

Then there are "hotfix" updates that have yet to migrate from the support library onto the update server, which is usually a day or two behind the library. That gives Netgear a bit of time to watch for reports of issues from the experienced users who keep an eye on the library.

Message 5 of 12
galactica1951
Aspirant

Re: Connecting Nighthawk r8000 to spectrum internet

I realize having two things chained together is not ideal.  It worked to get extra Lan Ports.  I did factory reset Nighthawk.  Got rid of the Spectrum Wi-fi router and connected Nighthawk directly to modem.  Even though the lower internet light is white on the Nighthawk, when I connect a computer to the Lan Ports.... they remain amber and I have no connection.  When I try to go to a web page it brings me to Routerlogin.  I cannot figure this out.   This is not supposed to be hard.  Thank you!

Message 6 of 12
galactica1951
Aspirant

I realize having two things chained together is not ideal.  It worked to get extra Lan Ports.  I did factory reset Nighthawk.  Got rid of the Spectrum Wi-fi router and connected Nighthawk directly to modem.  Even though the lower internet light is white on the Nighthawk, when I connect a computer to the Lan Ports.... they remain amber and I have no connection.  When I try to go to a web page it brings me to Router Login.  I cannot figure this out.   This is not supposed to be hard.  Thank you!

Message 7 of 12

@galactica1951 wrote:

I realize having two things chained together is not ideal. 

More a case of a disaster waiting to happen than "not ideal".

Please read the links of provided, they should explain the symptoms that you describe and why you don't need to have two router chained together.

Let's start with this one:

It worked to get extra Lan Ports. 

You don't need the thing to be in router mode to get the LAN ports to work. A router in AP mode does the same thing.

Even though the lower internet light is white on the Nighthawk, when I connect a computer to the Lan Ports.... they remain amber and I have no connection. 

Where are these "lower internet lights". They aren't on the R8000.

The LAN ports will remain amber if you connect them to a network with 100 Mbps ports. That's the whole idea. They are telling you the connection speed.

That's down to your unspecified computer

When I try to go to a web page it brings me to Router Login. 

That is a classic "double NAT" symptom.

What web page are you going to?

This is not supposed to be hard.  Thank you!

It isn't if you follow the advice you were given. Do things logically and in the right order.

Message 8 of 12
galactica1951
Aspirant

The white internet button is the second one from the bottom.

The LAN Ports are amber when a ethernet cable is attached - that does not mean they work.  They blink when there is traffic.

I bridged one router.

Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band WiFi Router Model R8000 is almost 9 years old.  I purchase a Netgear Meah system from Amazon today.  Time for a change.  I am ditching the Spectrum Router.  

See Diagram Below.

Thank you for your reply.

Terry

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Look at the user manual to see what the LAN LED colors mean. 
Usually AMBER means a 100Mpbs device is attached. WHITE should be that 1000Mpbs devices is attached. 

Message 10 of 12

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Usually AMBER means a 100Mpbs device is attached.

Yup. See above.

Message 11 of 12

@galactica1951 wrote:

The white internet button is the second one from the bottom.

Guess it depends on how you look at it.

In the manual (top view) the internet button is the second one from the top.

The second one from the bottom, in the manual, is the Wi-Fi LED.

But these things can also work "upside down".

Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band WiFi Router Model R8000 is almost 9 years old.  I purchase a Netgear Meah system from Amazon today.  Time for a change.  I am ditching the Spectrum Router.  

Could be a good move if that meets your needs. Technology keeps changing, especially on the Wi-Fi front.

After years with an even older R7800 router, trying out a new model tells me that it is time to move on.

But don't ditch the R8000 until you find out if it meets your needs.

My new reouter doesnlt do ReadySHARE to add USB drives to mey netqwrk. So the old router, in AP mode, now acts as a  poor man's (cheapskates) network attached storage.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7