Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to exend my network over Ethernetcable (long distance 50m)

AWULF
Aspirant

How to exend my network over Ethernetcable (long distance 50m)

Hello, this might be a stupid question on how to, but everybody using repeaters where the wifi signal overlaps.
In my case I have (an old R7000 Nighthawk).
I want to buy a new one and use the R7000 as a repeater over cable as the current wifi signal is not available 50meters from premise. Or I can buy an extender EAX80. Can use this one using a cable?
A repeater needs to be closer to the current wifi network but that's not feasible.
I need to use the same wifi network for both, can I do this with a cable?

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: How to exend my network over Ethernetcable (long distance 50m)

Repeater mode is only connected via wireless. AP mode, for R7000 or EAX, you have to use a ethernet connection to get them connected to work properly in AP Mode.

https://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode

Message 2 of 9
microchip8
Master

In addition, NG firmware doesn't support Repeater mode.
Message 3 of 9
AWULF
Aspirant

So basicly. Between ISP and R7000 I have to setup a bridged mode as a router (already in place) and I configure a cabled connection to my extra extender in AP mode.
Cabled network R800 Lan into my Wan port of the extender.
Message 4 of 9

You could investigate Powerline Ethernet

Message 5 of 9
AWULF
Aspirant

The cable is there and I have Ethernet access at my end-point. So that's not the issue.
My concern is when I configure 2 identical wifi accespoints (same name and password), one on router A and one on router B, will my devices just take over the signal without interruption?  Configured in Router Mode.

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to configure AP mode and need to use far apart separate channels between the two systems. 

Message 7 of 9
Kitsap
Master

@AWULF wrote:

The cable is there and I have Ethernet access at my end-point. So that's not the issue.
My concern is when I configure 2 identical wifi accespoints (same name and password), one on router A and one on router B, will my devices just take over the signal without interruption?  Configured in Router Mode.

Sounds a lot like you are talking about roaming.  Where a moving device makes a seamless transition from one Wi-Fi transmission point to another.  The automatic transition depends a great deal on the device itself.  The router at either location provides a signal.  The device makes the connection and has to take action to make the switch from one signal to another.

Have you investigated mesh systems?  Just because you have set the same SSID and password from two or more transmitter points, it does not create a mesh Wi-Fi.

Message 8 of 9
AWULF
Aspirant

Meanwhile I Have ordered a AX12 and an EAX80,  I'll see how that goes.
Thanks all for your input.

Jo

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7