Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I have a r7000 and am logged into genie , I want to restrict users after 12 midnight,

Jashfield
Aspirant

I have a r7000 and am logged into genie , I want to restrict users after 12 midnight,

• I am having trouble trying to restrict users through the genie app to stop access to the network after 12 midnight, even though the restriction are put in place, wifi and Ethernet on the pc's seem to be able to bypass the system on gaming channels, so if people are on pc' sand it gets to 12 they can continue to play or have access to the internet. 

How do I stop this???  I need something automatic to turn off the internet preferable on certain devices or if not all of them, can anyone help ? John 

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
Jashfield
Aspirant

Re: I have a r7000 and am logged into genie , I want to restrict users after 12 midnight,

Ok thanks for the help

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 12

All Replies
netwrks
Master

Re: I have a r7000 and am logged into genie , I want to restrict users after 12 midnight,

On the router, the best you would be able to do is disable the radios time based, for everyone. Maybe opendns can help..

Message 2 of 12
Jashfield
Aspirant

Ok I will look into this, i am happy to literally turn of the router at midnight if I have to, what is radios time ?
Message 3 of 12
theroys88
Apprentice

Kids are super smart these days. My son just changed his IP address over and over again to get around any parental controls. Open DNS on the nighthawks never worked anyway. Best thing is to install a parental control program on your childs computer and make the password as difficult as possible to decrypt.  

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 12
Rhyalus
Apprentice

Go to Advanced / Advanced setup / Wireless Settings

Add new periods for both 2.4 and 5 GHz radios.  I use 12am to 530am.

Make sure to check the boxes "Turn off wireless by schedule".

Works fine...you can also "override" this and turn the wireless on or off from the button on the front of the router.

R

Message 5 of 12
Jashfield
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply , does that stop the pc's that are connected by Ethernet as well or is that different again ? I do appreciate your response,
Message 6 of 12
netwrks
Master

The wireless schedule does not effect wired connections.

Message 7 of 12
Jashfield
Aspirant

Can you restrict the wired connections then or not
Message 8 of 12
theroys88
Apprentice

Check your network daily.  Once the little ones figure out how to change their address then the feature is useless. As long as they do not know, the features on these parental control and time limits work fine. Once they figure it out, the only option is a PC based filter software program which has to be installed on each individual computer. 

Message 9 of 12
Jashfield
Aspirant

Ok thanks for the help
Message 10 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Can also look into some DDNS services as well for additional parental controls. DynDNS and OpenDNS are a couple to check out.

Message 11 of 12
theroys88
Apprentice

I found Open DNS to be pretty much worthless when I used it stand alone and then on my Nighthawk.  Porous is the word I would describe it as.  The only real effective parental control software are the ones that one must individually install on each computer.  Clearplay and Netnanny are some that are effective.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7