Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

If your R7000P drops WIFI, check that it's not overheating

JimRessler
Guide

If your R7000P drops WIFI, check that it's not overheating

There is hope, don't throw away your R7000P router for dropped signal.  Raise it up off the surface or point a fan at it to keep it cool. When the top of the case was 95 and the bottom was 106, WIFI would drop out. I put mine on some wood blocks, now 84 on top and 95 underneath and works great.  Avoid placing in an enclosure or or on top of other electronics such as a cable box or AV receiver.

Soutions that involve resetting or firmware updates might be working just because the radio chips shut off for a few minutes and cool down. 

Hope this helps! 

Jim

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 4
labatt
Mentor

Re: If your R7000P drops WIFI, check that it's not overheating

Folks have reported poor grease used for the heat sinks. Some have said they took router appart and replaced the grease with good success.

Message 2 of 4
JimRessler
Guide

The R7000P does not use grease, it uses thermal pads.  I drilled 52 holes in the top cover, been good ever since. 

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI, to avoid having to do more invasive cooling modification measures, one can install a USB laptop fan under the router to add additional force air cooling. Something I've done since 2010. Works well and keeps routers cool.

One I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Massive-Adjustable-Notebook-CL-N004-PL20BL/dp/B00IGSATZY/ref=sr_1... 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7