Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is it possible to use the R9000 ONLY as a Plex server?

MikeP123
Tutor

Is it possible to use the R9000 ONLY as a Plex server?

I replaced my R9000 router with built-in Plex server with the new Orbi 963 mesh network.  My new router doesn't include a Plex server.  Is it possible to disable the router and wifi capabilities of my R9000 and connect it to my new network to function ONLY as a Plex server?  If so, how can I do this?  I may ultimately pick up a Mac mini to act as the Plex server but would like to try this first.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
MikeP123
Tutor

Re: Is it possible to use the R9000 ONLY as a Plex server?

Thanks again.  It worked like a charm.

One last stupid question.  Previously when the R9000 was my router and I clicked on "Open Plex" in the Plex section of the the router's webpage, it would open the Plex Server.  Now, clicking on "Open Plex" opens the webpage of my new Orbi router.  Suppose I wanted to delete the current server and start fresh, how would I access the Plex server that gets created since the "Open Plex" button no longer opens Plex?  I guess I could disconnect from my new network and connect the R9000 directly to my laptop if necessary, but I'm hoping there's an easier way.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Sure. 

Put the R9000 in access point mode and hardwire it into the ORbi. 

You can disable the wifi on it or you could use it as a backup or even as a device to put IoT devices on. 

Just make sure to put the wireless on different channels than the orbi. 

Or you can go in and disable the wifi if you really want. 

Message 2 of 7
MikeP123
Tutor

Thanks!  I will try this tonight.

Message 3 of 7
MikeP123
Tutor

Thanks again.  It worked like a charm.

One last stupid question.  Previously when the R9000 was my router and I clicked on "Open Plex" in the Plex section of the the router's webpage, it would open the Plex Server.  Now, clicking on "Open Plex" opens the webpage of my new Orbi router.  Suppose I wanted to delete the current server and start fresh, how would I access the Plex server that gets created since the "Open Plex" button no longer opens Plex?  I guess I could disconnect from my new network and connect the R9000 directly to my laptop if necessary, but I'm hoping there's an easier way.

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

I don't have an R9000 to test with but I have used multiple plex servers. Usually I just us the IP address assigned to it. 

http://[Plex Media Server IP Address]:32400/web

Message 5 of 7
MikeP123
Tutor

This worked.  Thank you!

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

Glad it worked!

I'd keep an eye out for a pc based plex server. I switched from plex on a NAS (similar cpu to the r9000) and it was a night/day difference because of the added performance of a desktop cpu. Plus I could cram more hard drives in it for setting up a raid array for failures. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7