Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

LAN-LAN vs LAN-WAN R6700

Tutor

LAN-LAN vs LAN-WAN R6700

Hello,

Have (2) Netgear R6700 v3.

Want to cascade to the second router in the basement to expand coverage but also would like the guest network access at this router.

I have read this is not possible with LAN-LAN only with LAN-WAN.

However, with LAN-WAN there is not a seamless transition throughout the floors in my home.

All SSIDs and passwords are the same on both routers, ie Netgear, Netgear5, Netgear-guest, Netgear5-guest.

Setting it up as an AP, I have read significantly decreases speed.

Am I missing something?

Thank you for your assistance.
Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: LAN-LAN vs LAN-WAN R6700

@7474 wrote:
Hello,

Have (2) Netgear R6700 v3.

Want to cascade to the second router in the basement to expand coverage but also would like the guest network access at this router.

I have read this is not possible with LAN-LAN only with LAN-WAN.
Guest Network is only supported in Router mode so LAN-WAN is needed for this configuration.

However, with LAN-WAN there is not a seamless transition throughout the floors in my home.
What do you mean by "not a seamless transition"?
Having two routers in this configuration will cause a double NAT configuration. 
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
So will be two different networks. I can be done thought

All SSIDs and passwords are the same on both routers, ie Netgear, Netgear5, Netgear-guest, Netgear5-guest.
What channels are you using between the 1st and 2nd router? Channels need to be far appart between them for each frequency. 

Setting it up as an AP, I have read significantly decreases speed. Where did you read about this? AP mode would be best and it offers the best performance since it doesn't have to do any router or management processing. 

Message 2 of 12
Tutor

Thanks for the reply.

Regarding seamless transition, when moving throughout the house with the LAN-to-LAN connection there is full strength. However, moving throughout the house on LAN to WAN The signal drops strength.

For example, in LAN-to-LAN starting on the second floor and working my way to the basement on a specific SSID the strength stays the same throughout.

Doing the same with LAN to WAN, The signal loses strength even if I’m standing right next to the basement router. I have to turn the device Wi-Fi off/on To get it to connect to the basement router Which then shows full strength.

Regarding the decrease in speed in AP mode,

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/WAN-OR-LAN-Port-for-Access-Point/td-p/106667...

Thanks again for your assistance.
Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

That issue is dealing with the WAN connection rate on the WAN port. There either was a bad cable being use, the upstream router doesn't support 1000Mbs when that router was connected or there HW was bad. All ports on most 6 and 7 series routers are all 1000Mpbs supporting. Even my WNDR3700 had 1000Mpbs ports when I had it. However the ports are auto adjusting to what ever the main connection is or if a cable is used that is not wired right or is bad, can cause the WAN port rate to drop to 100Mpbs. So I would not put much emphasis on that link as it was not resolved as well from 2016. I know my R7800 works well in either mode and gets 1000Mpbs on ALL ports. 

You can check yours with each other to see the connection rate being used on the WAN port in either mode. Check your HW first.

CAT6 LAN cable is recommended for best results and performances. 

Message 4 of 12

@7474 wrote:

I do not know what you mean by "seamless transition" but using the same SSID is probably no better than using different SSIDs. It makes it easier to remember passwords, but every time a device moves from one router to another it has to negotiate a connection.

Some people say that using the same SSID can actually make things harder because it can confuse wifi clients. They are in charge of negotiating wifi connections.

Truly seamless wifi needs Mesh technology, like Netgear's Orbi system. That is what it is designed to achieve.

Message 5 of 12
Tutor

Regarding seamless transition, when moving throughout the house with the LAN-to-LAN connection there is full strength. However, moving throughout the house on LAN to WAN The signal drops strength.

For example, in LAN-to-LAN starting on the second floor and working my way to the basement on a specific SSID the strength stays the same throughout.

Doing the same with LAN to WAN, The signal loses strength even if I’m standing right next to the basement router. I have to turn the device Wi-Fi off/on To get it to connect to the basement router Which then shows full strength.
Message 6 of 12
Tutor

My problem is it the 2.4 and 5 channel transmit via lan-lan throughout the house all levels without loss of strength.

However, both 2.4 and 5 guestonly transmit from the main router and not to the secondary router in LAN-to-LAN.

I set up the second router as an access point last night, however doing so automatically checks the guest work “enable guests to see each other and access local network”. This is something I do not want them to have access to the local network. Set up as a access point, I am able to open the main router via the guest network.
Message 7 of 12
Tutor

I can get the 2.4 and 5 Network to transmit throughout the home.

However, I would like the guest networks to do the same so that I can keep the kids and their friends separate from the main network.

After setting up the second router as an access point, which didn’t work as per my previous posts. I changed the IP address to 192.168.2.1 on the second router with lan-wan. Main router is 192.168.1.1. With this set up I was still able to access the main router when connected to the second router but I was not able to access the second router when connected to the main router. By accessing the router I mean being able to go in and change all the settings, not sure of the technical name for this.

Message 8 of 12
Tutor

In the end, I want to be able to extend the guest network across the routers in my home like I do the 2.4 and 5 network. While keeping the guest network from having access to any of the router set up pages, only having access to the Internet. I want to keep the kids separate from the main net work.
Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

@7474 wrote:
I can get the 2.4 and 5 Network to transmit throughout the home.

However, I would like the guest networks to do the same so that I can keep the kids and their friends separate from the main network.
The Guest Network is attached to the WAN port, not the LAN port so the 2nd router if you have it connected daisy chained to the 1st router will not be on a actual guest network of it's own. The Guest Network on the 2nd will be apart of the 1st routers LAN network and not be separate. 

After setting up the second router as an access point, which didn’t work as per my previous posts. I changed the IP address to 192.168.2.1 on the second router with lan-wan. Main router is 192.168.1.1. With this set up I was still able to access the main router when connected to the second router but I was not able to access the second router when connected to the main router. By accessing the router I mean being able to go in and change all the settings, not sure of the technical name for this. Did you try to access the 2nd router by using it's IP address?

Message 10 of 12
Tutor

Thanks for the reply.

2nd router set up LAN-WAN transmits all networks throughout home. However, the AP setting on the 2nd router automatically checks the “allow guests to see each other and access the local network” on the Guest settings page on the 2nd router. This can’t be changed. Connected to the guest networks I am able to access both routers set up pages. I don’t want this to occur.

Setting the 1st to 192.168.1.1 and the 2nd to 192.168.2.1 allows me full access to the 1st router from the 2nd regardless of the network I am on.

However, when connected to the 1st router I can not access the 2nd from any network, when using the 2nd router’s ip (192.168.2.1).

Overall, when set-up as an access point or as a separate ip the 2nd router continues to allow me full access to the 1st routers set up pages. I expect this on the 2.4 and 5 networks but not on the Guest networks.

Thanks again for your time.
Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems like you found the limits of these configurations then. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7