Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Latest Update Bricked My R8000 Router

M3TALHEAD
Tutor

Latest Update Bricked My R8000 Router

The latest firmware update (R8000-V1.0.4.52_10.1.67) bricked my router!

I am using the  R8000 Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WiFi Router.

I utilized the web interface to update the firmware via a wired connection.

The update process started working as it normally would, but something happened in the update process.

I went to look at the router and the power LED now flashes white indefinetely. (boot loop?)

There are a few other cases of the same issues in the forums and I am VERY disssapointed that the only option for me is to complain via these forums, and not call a 1800 number to get a replacement router to me immediatly since netgear is the ones that broke my router via their interface and firmware.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 24

Accepted Solutions

There is more severe, recovery reset, that you could try:

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

If it works, you may be able to use the usual method to flash the firmware again.

Download the latest firmware for your device – or an older version if that is what you want – and read the Release Notes for how to install it.

If that fails, you are into TFTP country.

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

This also explains how to tell Windows to use TFTP on your PC.

This isn't the easiest operation, so if you are forced to use it, you could try a web search to find videos that guide you through the process.

The good news is that TFTP has rescued many a dead device.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 24

All Replies

There is more severe, recovery reset, that you could try:

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

If it works, you may be able to use the usual method to flash the firmware again.

Download the latest firmware for your device – or an older version if that is what you want – and read the Release Notes for how to install it.

If that fails, you are into TFTP country.

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

This also explains how to tell Windows to use TFTP on your PC.

This isn't the easiest operation, so if you are forced to use it, you could try a web search to find videos that guide you through the process.

Message 2 of 24
M3TALHEAD
Tutor

I tried your reset button option but unfortunetley did not work.

The device  seems to boot up, then the Power LED flashes white forever.

I will try the  TFTP method, thank you!

Message 3 of 24
M3TALHEAD
Tutor

My issue has been resolved!  The TFTP method worked and was very simple.

Thank you very much for your help.

Message 4 of 24

@M3TALHEAD wrote:

The device  seems to boot up, then the Power LED flashes white forever.

That's better than flashing orange!

Message 5 of 24
ZohnW
Aspirant

Tried the TFTP method and I still can't figure  out a way to unbrick it.  Tried the 30/30/30 method and that doesn't work either. Mine was also bricked by the new firmware update.

Here is the error I get in CMD:

C:\Users\zohnw\Desktop>tftp -i 192.168.1.10 put R8000-V1.0.4.52_10.1.67.chk
Connect request failed

Message 6 of 24
antinode
Guru

> Tried the TFTP method [...]

First, as a general rule, start your own thread for your own
(different) problem.

The TFTP recovery scheme is a multi-step procedure which offers
multiple opportunities for user input, hence user error.  By itself,
saying that you "Tried" it doesn't say much.  Especially when using a
command-line program, copy+paste is your friend.

> C:\Users\zohnw\Desktop>tftp -i 192.168.1.10 put R8000-V1.0.4.52_10.1.67.chk
> Connect request failed

The IP address there should be that of the router, "192.168.1.1", not
that of your computer, "192.168.1.10".  Otherwise it looks ok.

Your computer probably isn't running a TFTP server, so specifying
that ".10" address should explain the problem.  (Only one way to find
out.)  Reading more carefully whichever instructions you're trying to
follow might be helpful.

Message 7 of 24
ZohnW
Aspirant

That was useless.
Message 8 of 24

@ZohnW wrote:
That was useless.

I don't know what you considered to be useless, but if this is the level at which you are prepared to engage with people, your chances of recovering your router are slim.

The reason for starting your own discussion is obvious. The community rules don't like "hijacking".

NETGEAR Community Terms Of Service | Answer | NETGEAR Support

• Behave with civility and mutual respect. Flaming or name calling will not be tolerated. Similarly, any message containing the following will be removed at the discretion of either a Community moderator or administrator:
    • Off-Topic posting
    • Thread hi-jacking

You have jumped into the middle of a "thread" that may or may not have anything to do with your problem. The rules of this place are specific, don't hijack someone else's discussion. Start your own, especially of you want to catch the eye of Netgear's handful of support people. This is especially true of a thread marked "solved".

The advice that you were given on TFTP is the same as you would get from any of the fellow users here who have guided other victims. It should provide you with enough guidance to try again.

There is only one thing that I would add, TFTP isn't the easiest operation, as you have discovered, so if you are forced to use it, you could try a web search to find videos that guide you through the process.There are plenty out there. It is a generic thing, so the model and brand doen't matter much as long as you are prepared to follow instructions step by step.

The good news is that TFTP has rescued many a dead device for those who are prepared to persevere.

Message 9 of 24
ZohnW
Aspirant

LMAO.
Message 10 of 24
ValuelessLee
Aspirant

dm me and i can help walk you thru it

Message 11 of 24
ValuelessLee
Aspirant

i was able to get mine working with the new update. it took me all day but i got it to work. my most dificult part was comand prompt

@ValuelessLee wrote:

dm me and i can help walk you thru it

Message 12 of 24
ValuelessLee
Aspirant

i can help u out

@ZohnW wrote:
That was useless.

Message 13 of 24
DHayes1
Aspirant

tried everything suggested nothing works.  yes i have my IP set correctly on my ethernet card.  Yes I used TFTP interface.  Yes I rebooted router and did not click Put until orange light came on.....  BTW the directions on the netgare solution page have an error.  they say to set ethernet card IP to one ip then show a different IP in the loop window for TFTP.

Message 14 of 24
SpiderRouter
Tutor

Hi,

My R7900 router bricked. I have just purchased the R8000 but wanted to try to resolve the R7900 before I decide if I want to donate, sell, or discard/recycle it.

I've already followed all of the instructions from the suggested tftp instructions.

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

For the sake of clarity, am I supposed to have my bricked  R7900 router connected to LAN port?

I currently have it connected to my Surface Book to one ethernet port line out.

My R8000 has taken the place of the R7900 so it's routing my network.

The cmd promp indicates that the firmware R7900P-V1.4.1.56_1.3.14.chk was transferred successfully 

I'm not sure if the process is resolved if I don't have R7900 connected to LAN because the power light is still flashing.

I don't have any intentions of keeping it but would appreciate any guidance anyone may be able to provide with this issue. The light is flashing but cmd says that it transferred successful. Not sure where to go from here.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router, R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 15 of 24

@SpiderRouter wrote:

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

That's a hard one.

You have joined in on an ageing conversation, it dates back to June, and there are large holes in your details. It is also about different hardware. You have an R7900 while @M3TALHEAD has an R8000.

You might do better to start your own fresh conversation.

Let's start at the beginning.

@SpiderRouter wrote:

Hi,

My R7900 router bricked.

What tells you that? Sadly, "bricked" is one of those labels that people use to describe all sorts of things. What does it mean in your case?

@SpiderRouter wrote:

I've already followed all of the instructions from the suggested tftp instructions.

It sounds like you are on the right track, but it helps if you can copy and paste all of the messages that you see when you go through the many steps involved.

However, this bit is seriously worrying:

@SpiderRouter wrote:

The cmd promp indicates that the firmware R7900P-V1.4.1.56_1.3.14.chk was transferred successfully 

I'm not sure if the process is resolved if I don't have R7900 connected to LAN because the power light is still flashing.

The R7900P is not the same as the R7900. They use different firmware. The device should prevent you from using the wrong firmware, but TFTP may subvert those warnings. What do you have?

TFTP isn't the easiest operation, so if you are forced to use it, you could try a web search to find videos that guide you through the process.

Message 16 of 24
antinode
Guru

> For the sake of clarity, am I supposed to have my bricked R7900
> router connected to LAN port?

You're supposed to connect an Ethernet port on your computer to a LAN
Ethernet port on the router (using an Ethernet cable).

> My R7900 router bricked. [...]

> [...] the firmware R7900P-V1.4.1.56_1.3.14.chk was transferred
> successfully

If you actually have an R7900, then trying to load it with firmware
for an R7900P might reasonably be expected to fail.  Look for "Model" on
the product label.

By itself, not working with an R8000 would have been a good reason to
start your own thread for your own, different problem.

> My R8000 has taken the place of the R7900 [...]

> Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router,
> R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router

"R8000" and "R8000P" are also spelled differently for a reason.

Message 17 of 24
SpiderRouter
Tutor

Thank you. You actually pointed out the firmware and that is likely the issue. I have a R7900 but the firmware is R7900P.

I have watched multiple videos on YouTube with different methods (primarily using tftp2 MFC app) of resolving this but none are very explicit. I rarely register for these boards because for the most part I'm able to figure these things out. Whether I asked using a 7900 or 8000 you still answered so I appreciate it. I currently have both now.
Instead of starting another conversation I brought it here because it's a conversation/question that has already been asked and answered. You pointed out my firmware and that s the second set of eyes that I needed.

When I say bricked, I mean that I awoke last week with A R7900 router that was no longer establishing a LAN OR WAN network even after resetting with flashing power light. I could not run a firmware update and after watching multiple videos that term was used. I purchased the R8000 and still wanted to figure out what I could do to resolve the R7900 you've helped in your own way.
Message 18 of 24

@SpiderRouter wrote:
Thank you. You actually pointed out the firmware and that is likely the issue. I have a R7900 but the firmware is R7900P.

Heaven only knows how you achieved that. These are two different models, with different hardware (processor chips) inside them. You should not be able to install the wrong firmware on your device. The update process usually throws up its hands and tells you not to be so silly. (I can't remember the exact messages.)

If you forced the wrong firmware on to the device, then you may have killed it permanently. Your best option would be to start from scratch with the right firmware.

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in your model number (see the label on it) and find the documentation for your hardware.

It will also have any firmware for your device.

Message 19 of 24
antinode
Guru

> [...] You should not be able to install the wrong firmware on your
> device. [...]

"Transfer a firmware image file using TFTP" and "Install firmware"
are spelled differently for a reason.  You might not have noticed, but
this wrong-file transfer had no apparent effect.  Presumably, you could
send whatever you want using TFTP, but the router is free to ignore it
if it does not look appropriate.  The _Trivial_ File Transfer Protocol
is not well-suited to exception handling or returning informative error
messages.

> If you forced the wrong firmware on to the device, [...]

That's a big "if".

Message 20 of 24
SpiderRouter
Tutor

@michaelkenward If you forced the wrong firmware on to the device, then you may have killed it permanently. (I didn't)

Your best option would be to start from scratch with the right firmware. (I did)

Heaven only knows how you achieved that. These are two different models, with different hardware (processor chips) inside them. You should not be able to install the wrong firmware on your device. (I know) The update process usually throws up its hands and tells you not to be so silly. (I can't remember the exact messages.) (It didn't)

I have enough Netgear products EX7500 (extender), 2x EX8000 (extenders) and now R8000P (router) to know how some things should/shouldn't work. This is the first time that I've ever used this "community" and I've shown more gratitude than attitude. At times, the nomenclature of their products can be convoluted and the process of maintaining them as well.

All I did yesterday was change the firmware to the correct model. Anyone that saw my screenshot attached to my original post will see that it said successful in cmd prompt. You pointed out that I had the wrong firmware and once I downloaded the correct firmware version and redid the TFTP process it finally installed. My light is white and although the router was only connected to my computer ethernet (no LAN port) I was able to see that the Wifi was back on and listed amongst available networks. It is working. I've already tested it.

I am moving on from the router and this post.

Peace and Thank You

Message 21 of 24
GlobalJunk
Star

Straw, meet Camel.

This was it for me. The same firmware issues you mentioned also caused the exact same WiFi instability I had in 2019 (see my older posts). The "fix" was to reset the device to factory default and start again. This doesn't work for me since I'm using 2 Nighthawks in AP mode and I would have to unplug/disconnect and reset all the settings for the device. It's ridiculous that Netgear cannot come up w a solid firmware design for their outstanding hardware.

Also, the lack of roaming support is terrible. I have places in my home where the Netgear routers (in AP mode) would keep the client connected at 4mbps when I'm standing right by the other AP!

Ive replaced all of my Netgear devices and sold them for dirt cheap. Went with a solid brand name who sounds like A, goes by Zues.

Good luck everyone!
Message 22 of 24
antinode
Guru

> Straw, meet Camel.

Clearly, this (pointless) rant belongs in a different thread.

> [...] This doesn't work for me since I'm using 2 Nighthawks in AP mode
> and I would have to unplug/disconnect and reset all the settings for the
> device. [...]

I see no reason to disconnect anything.  All _what_ settings?  At
least one of us is confused.

> Also, the lack of roaming support is terrible. [...]

Some people who want a mesh system buy a mesh system, rather than
expecting a non-mesh system to behave as if it were a mesh system.

Message 23 of 24
wonkomg
Aspirant

I'm totally agreed everything you said. I'm not a tech guy and only know few basic about network. Has been using netgear product  more than 12 years and they expect an old fart like me know how to flash firmware. The joke is over for me I'm moving to different brand also.  

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7