Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Log DOES NOT Report Internet Loss, can it?

rkruz
Apprentice

Log DOES NOT Report Internet Loss, can it?

My internet has been dropping out and I have been trying to narrow down the problem.

I finally saw the R6700 routers home page show the Internet was not connected when it happened.

But the log shows no status for internet connected and disconnected

Is there a log detail selection so this is reported in the R6700 log?

Thanks

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Log DOES NOT Report Internet Loss, can it?

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Not really. There maybe some debug information seen when those are collected. RouterIPaddress/debug.htm

Message 2 of 10
rkruz
Apprentice

the router is Netgear r6700V3 firmware V1.0.4.122_10.0.95 the latest I believe.

the modem is Netgear CM500 and I cannot view the status page so I dont know the firmware.

When the internet went out, I saw the Internet Light on the physical Router was yellow (Normally green) showing no internet. 

At the same time, the physical Cable Modem showed all green lights so it was saying I had internet and connection to the router.

This suggests to me, maybe something fishy in the router causing the internet drops.

Message 3 of 10
rkruz
Apprentice

I meant to add that this event did not show up on the routers log even though the physical no internet light was yellow then green.

Further, I did perform an Interest Test from within the router which disconnects from the internet, and that event DID show up in the router log. 

Message 4 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I would check out the ISP Modem as well. 

You can check it's status and connection page as well would be helpful.

192.168.100.1 in a broswer. 

You might power OFF the modem and router for 1 minute or longer, then back on with the modem first, then router, then everything else. 

Message 5 of 10
rkruz
Apprentice

mentioned in the other thread....I cannot access the modem using 192.168.100.1 over my LAN 192.168.01.    that's wired PC to Router (192.168.0.1) to Modem.  I think I have to connect the PC directly to the modem to view the logs and then if possible when in there change the IP address of the modem within my LANs address range .

Message 6 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

You should be able to connect the PC to the modem directly to capture logs and cable connection stations information. This will be all that you can do. You can't change the private IP address from 192.168.100.1. This is ok and won't conflict with external connected routers as there IP address do not fall under a 192.168.100 sub net. 

Seems that the connected router is preventing pass thru connection to the modem at 192.168.100.1 which would be a router issue. 

Message 7 of 10
rkruz
Apprentice

would you know of a setting in the netgear router R6700 that perhaps is set to prevent this pass through?

Message 8 of 10
rkruz
Apprentice

The R6700 only allows 255 addresses starting at the address set, in my case 192.168.0.1, so I cannot extend the router range to be able to include 192.168.100.1.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

And you can't include 192.168.100.1 with in 192.168.0.1. 

This isn't needed as well. The NG router should pass thru 192.168.100.1 to your wired PC. 

Might try a full factory reset and setup from scratch on the NG router. Power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute as well then back ON. Then walk thru the setup wizard on the NG router and complete it. With out changing anything on the NG router, try accessing 192.168.100.1 with a wired PC. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7