Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Model R6700v3 router with internet connection issues

vinnyd51
Tutor

Model R6700v3 router with internet connection issues

This router is in a 2nd home which we go to every couple of weeks. Each time we get to the home lately, we have no internet connection. The cable company says it's the router. If I reboot the router, our connection is back. This has been happening since the cable company swapped out our modem for a newer, different model. Is there something wrong with the router or is it not compatible with the new modem? I also have a cell booster plugged into the router. Is it better off plugged into the modem?

Thanks.

Vinny

Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 12
vinnyd51
Tutor

I did manage to find the firmware version on my phone app. It is V1.0.4.106. However, when I try to check for updates, I get firmware check error.

Message 3 of 12
wcalifas
Prodigy

There's newer firmware for your router I see1.0.4.120 available on the netgear website which you can apply to the router and see if that helps    https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R6700v3.aspx#download

Message 4 of 12
vinnyd51
Tutor

Thanks for the reply. I will certainly try that. However, as I mentioned in an earlier post, when I try to check for an update to my firmware from my phone app, I get a firmware check error. Can this update be done manually somehow?

Message 5 of 12
wcalifas
Prodigy

yea download the file from the site https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R6700v3.aspx#download and go into your routers settings and click on administration and then router upgrade. Where it says "browse" you can select the file for the update to be set manually.

Message 6 of 12
vinnyd51
Tutor

Sounds good. Thanks again.

Message 7 of 12

@vinnyd51 wrote:

The cable company says it's the router.

Why does that not surprise me? It is the default buck passing response.

This has been happening since the cable company swapped out our modem for a newer, different model.

When the modem changed, did you reset the router and set it up from scratch?

You need to get it to forget any settings it picked up from the old modem.

Message 8 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@vinnyd51 wrote:

I did manage to find the firmware version on my phone app. It is V1.0.4.106. However, when I try to check for updates, I get firmware check error.

Message 9 of 12
vinnyd51
Tutor

I did not reset the router after the new modem was installed. How do I go about doing that? Sorry, but I'm not that tech savvy.

Message 10 of 12

@vinnyd51 wrote:

How do I go about doing that? Sorry, but I'm not that tech savvy.

Fortunately, it is dead easy. No PhD in computer engineering needed. Just a button to press.

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Your firmware is also a couple of versions behind the latest.

R6700v3 Firmware Version 1.0.4.120 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The reasoning behind the reset is that the router picks up various settings from the modem. So if you change the modem, you need to get it to forget its misspent past.

This isn't guaranteed to get rid of any issues you see, but it is the first thing to try.

Message 11 of 12
vinnyd51
Tutor

Thanks for all the help from all who replied to my posts. As I mentioned in an ealier post, this is in a second home and we are not there all the time. When we are there again, I will try all of your suggestions. I hope you all have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7