Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Modem & Router with Xfinity issue Drop in speeds

Lionhawk
Star

Modem & Router with Xfinity issue Drop in speeds

Hello all,

I am pretty much a novice when it comes to setup beyond the basic stuff.  I have Xfinity 1200 mbps and using the below equipment:

Modem: Netgear CM1150V

Router: Netgear Nighthawk R7000P

When I am hardwired to the modem I get up to 850mbps but when I add in the router to get my wifi up, my speed drops to about 250mbps.  When I do a restart I can get back up to 750mbps but that seems to drop back down after a few minutes.

It seems something the speed lost is coming when I introduce my router.  I am still hard wired to the router now.  Is there a setting or something that is limiting the performance or communication between the service and the gear?  Any tips on how to get it working correctly?  I feel like it is a setting I am not well educated on.

Thanks for any help or info!

Message 1 of 18
plemans
Guru

Re: Modem & Router with Xfinity issue Drop in speeds

What firmware is on the r7000p?

Try a factory reset and reinstall. during the install make sure to leave access control, qos, traffic monitoring, and parental controls all disabled. 

Message 2 of 18
Lionhawk
Star

Thanks, I will attempt that....its been a while since I even touched it so I will have to read up on how to do the factory rest.

Message 3 of 18
plemans
Guru

Pretty easy. push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while powered on. Then reinstall it. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R7000p

Message 4 of 18
Lionhawk
Star

Hello again and thanks for replying....does the reset have to happen in order to change those settings you listed?

ANd if so, once I begin the reset is there a disc that needs to installed or is it online or does it self setup?

I cant remember, and I didnt want to reset anything if I have a disc laying around somewhere that i need to dig up.  

Message 5 of 18
plemans
Guru

1. you don't need a disc to install it. You can log in through the browser and use the installation assistant. 

2. the reason I say factory reset, is those services disable ctf (needed for gigabit speeds) and can cause slow downs. Occassionally, a full reset it needed to re-enable ctf. 

Message 6 of 18
Lionhawk
Star

Well, i did the reset but I am stuck trying to do the reinstall.  I currently can not figure out how to get the router installed again.  I am connected hardwire to my modem right now but am stuck.  I can't seem to get to the routerlogin.net page

Message 7 of 18
plemans
Guru

go to 192.168.100.1

Message 8 of 18
Lionhawk
Star

ok that got me to netgear genie....now im a little gun shy hehehe

Message 9 of 18
Lionhawk
Star

i did the reset button for 15 seconds but i do see an option for factory reset under advanced home

Message 10 of 18
antinode
Guru

> [...] I can't seem to get to the routerlogin.net page

"seem"?  When you do _what_, exactly?

A vague description of what does _not_ happen is less useful than a
clear description of what _does_ happen.

"can't" is not a useful problem description.  It does not say what
you did.  It does not say what happened when you did it.  As usual,
showing actual actions (commands) with their actual results (error
messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague
descriptions or interpretations.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual (at least).  Read?

> go to 192.168.100.1

Why?  That'd be the DOCSIS modem, not the router.

Message 11 of 18
plemans
Guru

> go to 192.168.100.1

Why?  That'd be the DOCSIS modem, not the router.

You can use 192.168.100.1 or 192.168.1.1 (if that's set as the current default instead of a differnet IP) to access the device and make changes. 

Message 12 of 18
Lionhawk
Star

Ok, that was tricky but I got back in...the router is reinstalled but i did not see a way to disable the items you mentioned above - is that something that I can address in setup wizard?  there is a smart setup wizard and an option to configure myself.  I am guessing there will be quite a few options in the setup myself that I will not know what to do. 

For now internet is working but back to the same speed as it was prior.  It caps around 250mbps, but when I plug the PC in without the router it gets to 944mbps....When I restart the modem it goes up to the 800s for a few minutes but then back down.

Message 13 of 18
Lionhawk
Star

So far I was able to turn off access control and my speed is back up....Not sure if that is all it took but I will check tomorrow because usually the speed wont make it past a half hour but it seems to be holding steady currently....we shall see.

Message 14 of 18
plemans
Guru

Hope it stays working for you!

Message 15 of 18
Lionhawk
Star

Well, I got home from work and gave it a shot and I am back to 215mbps....ugh...

so i am back to square one.

So when I did the reset i did not run a setup wizard or anything, i just used the app and answered the questions it said to get connected again.  Are the settings you mentioned something that needs to be done during the reset reinstall or is it something I can do now after the fact.

As I mentioned I found where to turn off access control but not sure about traffic monitoring and qos....I believe parental controls are off as that one seemed straight forward.

Thanks for any further insight.

Message 16 of 18
plemans
Guru

yes make sure qos, access control, traffic monitoring, and parental controls are all disabled. if you had them disabled, to the factory reset

Message 17 of 18
Lionhawk
Star

Well, I went in and found all those settings and mae sure they were disabled....so far it might be good to go.  I came home from work and it is still doing over 800mbps which is longer than any other time i did a modem reset.  Crossing my fingers but it may be solved....thanks again for the suggestion on what to disable!

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7