Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Modem or ONT

melmat
Aspirant

Modem or ONT

Hi Team,

I am wanting to purchase this but before i do i was just wondering do i have to plug the R8500 into my current Modem/Router and apply bridge mode. Or can i plug the R8500 straight into the ONT on the UFB network and configure it from there. I was told this is possible but im not to sure as the R8500 is a WI-FI Router not a modem. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
melmat
Aspirant

Re: Modem or ONT

Thanks, i forgot to mention that i live in New Zealand and after some research i found out that some ISP's in New Zealand will let a router connect to the ONT  only if it supports VLAN 10 tagging on the WAN port. So thats my next mission now is to find out if the R8500 has this feature.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

It depends on your ISP.  Some ISPs require you to use their gateway for authentication.  AT&T U-Verse is one of them.  If that's what you have, there are instructions for putting it into bridge mode.  Let me know if you need them.

Message 2 of 4
melmat
Aspirant

Thanks, i forgot to mention that i live in New Zealand and after some research i found out that some ISP's in New Zealand will let a router connect to the ONT  only if it supports VLAN 10 tagging on the WAN port. So thats my next mission now is to find out if the R8500 has this feature.

Message 3 of 4
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@melmat Does this article answer your question?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7