Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

My C7000 router/modem third light down is orange, no internet or slow internet

Alucard41
Aspirant

My C7000 router/modem third light down is orange, no internet or slow internet

Hello, and thanks in advance for any help. I know very little about router/modems. 

I believe my C7000 100-NAS is the cause for often times slow internet to no internet. The 3rd light down from the top is orange. We have Xfinity.  We have anywhere from 10 to 13 devises logged in at any one time even though only a few are being used at this time. I believe I have an upstream issue. Seems like everywhere I read, most have 4 bonded upstream channels locked. I only have one locked. I have 24 Downstream locked. Please see attached screenshot and thanks. I tried to paste it here but can't seem to do so. I'm on a chromebook if that matters. 

Model: C7000-1AZNAS|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 13
plemans
Guru

Re: My C7000 router/modem third light down is orange, no internet or slow internet

do you have a screen snip of the reset of the downstream as well as your event logs? 

that helps check the line. 

If you have any splitters, amplifiers, or signal attenuators in your line, remove them. 

check your coax for kinks, damage, old/bad/cheap/loose/corroded connections and replace them if you do. 

Message 2 of 13
Alucard41
Aspirant

Re: My C7000 router/modem third light down is orange, no internet or slow internet

We have at least two splitters.  Also, our ethernet cable is a bit ragged. So, what I thought I'd do is run new cable and an ethernet and see if things change before I do anything else. It was working fine and slowly got worse then bad. We did have our internet speed upgraded to 400 gps.  I was thinking of getting a new router & modem but I don't have $400 to spend on that.  I assume Xfinity would charge for running new wire.

I'm not quite sure how to get "the reset of the downstream as well as your event logs?" 

Thanks. 

Message 3 of 13
plemans
Guru

@Alucard41 wrote:

We have at least two splitters.  Also, our ethernet cable is a bit ragged. So, what I thought I'd do is run new cable and an ethernet and see if things change before I do anything else. It was working fine and slowly got worse then bad. We did have our internet speed upgraded to 400 gps.  I was thinking of getting a new router & modem but I don't have $400 to spend on that.  I assume Xfinity would charge for running new wire.

I'm not quite sure how to get "the reset of the downstream as well as your event logs?" 

Thanks. 

easy check? Just move the modem to right where the coax enters the home. See how well it works and how the signal/speeds do at that point. If they work well, then you can run the wire. 

Xfinity does charge for running wires interior to the home. Everything exterior to the home is on them but inside, they charge for issues. 

Meant "the rest" not reset. 

The rest of the downstream info and logs help with the full line check. sometimes its just a few channels with issues. 

Message 4 of 13
Alucard41
Aspirant

Thanks again.  I attached the rest of the downstream data....at least I hope I did.

I'll try to move the modem/router to where cable comes into our house.  There's certainly alot of info about our router/modem when I sign into it. I just wish I understood everything. 

Despite the regular channel and the 5G showing "strong" signal, our computers sometimes just spin until we get "this site can't be reached."I selccted to run diagnostics on my computer and I attached that as well. 

Message 5 of 13
Alucard41
Aspirant

see attached part 1 of downstream

Message 6 of 13
Alucard41
Aspirant

see part 2 of downstream

Message 7 of 13
plemans
Guru

Try the moving it first. 

Your signal doesn't look to bad but you're only locking 1 upstream channel and it should be more. 

Message 8 of 13
Alucard41
Aspirant

Thanks.  This weekend, I'm going to run new coaxil.  I'd actually prefer not to use any splitters. However, with Xfinity's set-up, you have to.  The main one comes into the house to where the Xfinity TV box is and where the Netgear C7000 is. So, you have to have a splitter there, unfortunately.  Regardless, our's looks like a combination of coax with a couple of splitters.  Is the Walmart Coax ok to use? I need about 50'. I could get what I suppose is better wire through Amazon.  

I added a couple of pics to show how the cable comes into our house. It has something like a filter on it. I suppose I should get one of those?  

Thanks again. 

@plemans wrote:

Try the moving it first. 

Your signal doesn't look to bad but you're only locking 1 upstream channel and it should be more. 

Message 9 of 13
plemans
Guru

I only say to try it without anything connected like a splitter to see if it locks the connection. If it locks before the splitter but not after, it either is an issue with the splitter or the signal not geing high enough. 

that on the line looks like a moca filter or signal attenuator. can't confirm it without actual model numbers off it. 

In terms of coax, I'm not sure. I usually order mine online and make my own cables because then I can ensure it works properly and has good connections. 

Message 10 of 13
Alucard41
Aspirant

UPDATE:  Working people in household cannot do their job with connection problem, as stated. So in desperation, I visted the Xfinity store and got their Xfi gateway(renting it and hope to replace it with my own...some day). I brought it home, hooked it up. It worked great for an hour or so.  At some point in time I went into my account and went into my settings to set it up the way I want. Somewhere in there, in retrospect and unbeknownst to me, I must have done something that gave me the same problem my Netgare router/modem did: "Connected without internet." Not again!  I fiddled with it. I even took the xfinity gateway outside and hooked it directly to cable coming in from road, so as to bypass any problems in my house wiring. Still got the "Connected withouit Internet" on multiple devices. So, I started over the process of hooking up the new gateway. Then, it worked and is working now.  

So, I'm not sure this is it but it seems like it could be:  With Xfinity, the default setting is to share part of your wifi via "Xfinity guest wifi hotspot." On my Netgear, I disabled this. Had no problems for a couple of years until a few weeks ago, when I asked my question in this forum. I didn't even think of this or consider it as a potential problem. But this morning, I looked into my Xfinity account and, while eveyrhing was woring fine, I tuned off "Xfinity guest wifi hotspot" and immediately, I lost my connection and got the "connected without internet." So, I tried enabling this and disabling it. Everytime I disabled it I lost connection. Keep in mind that I was connected to my password protected account and not the guest wifi hotspot. Could this be the problem?

When it's working I look at my connection on my phone I see: "Wifi name" and "Connected via Xfinity."  Could It be that I set up the gateway using the "Xfinity guest wifi hotspot" ?  

Message 11 of 13
Alucard41
Aspirant

Update:  Yesterday, I set up an appointment for Xfinity to check my issue.  Just a moment go, Xfinity called and left message "We are calling to advise you....our technicians identified an issue in your neighborhoodthat that may have caused the service issue. We'd like to know....if you don't require a technician anymore..."  Not sure what I'm going to do. 

By the way, I apologize for being so wordy and posting so much in this thread. I'm sort of thinking out loud when I do so. Regardless, thanks for any help and any input you might have. 

Message 12 of 13
plemans
Guru

Has it gotten better since the call? 

Do you have a screensnip of the cable connections page? 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7