Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

My Netgear R8500 can no longer be accessed via url after being switched to AP mode

hillbj
Aspirant

My Netgear R8500 can no longer be accessed via url after being switched to AP mode

Greetings, wondering anyone can point me in the right direction and hopefully regain access to my R8500 router.  I recently had a 2nd ISP installed at my home so I had to add a dual WAN device which uses load balancing to minimize offline time. A Netgear GS308E smart switch is now in place to hand DHCP duties also manages two VLAN's between many rooms throughout the home.  I switched the R8500 over to AP mode, I understand it turns off many of the features which is fine.  Previously  the url was the standard 192.168.0.1 but now I have no idea how to manage it.  It doesnt show up on the DHCP table for the switch either.  Is there any way to regain URL access to it while in AP mode?

I have disconnected it from the switch with a laptop wired to the R8500 and no IP was issued for the laptop.  Static IP did not work as well.  I really cant reset the router to factory as devices in the house are not easily accessible to add it back to wireless.  

Any help would be appreciated

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: My Netgear R8500 can no longer be accessed via url after being switched to AP mode

You need to find the IP address of the R8500 in AP Mode on the host router that it's connected too. Look at the connected client table on this router for the R8500s IP address and use this address in a web browser to access it. 

Message 2 of 6
hillbj
Aspirant

Re: My Netgear R8500 can no longer be accessed via url after being switched to AP mode

unfortunately it is not listed on the DHCP list.  Using the mac on the underside as a reference.  Used arp -a command and no wireless devices are listed either

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset the R8500 and setup from scratch. Press the reset button for 10 seconds then release. 

Message 4 of 6
Kitsap
Master

There might be some free/opensource network mapping applications that could help identify the IP address of your access point.  A web search would give you some candidates.  I do not have a specific one I could recommend.

If you run Windows, recommend you set a restore point before installing one of the applications.  It makes cleaning up a mess much simpler.

Message 5 of 6

@Kitsap wrote:

There might be some free/opensource network mapping applications that could help identify the IP address of your access point.  A web search would give you some candidates.  I do not have a specific one I could recommend.

No need to dig very deep. Netgear has a utility that lets you find the IP address easily.

genie | Product | Support | NETGEAR

It can create a map of your network.

Geniemap.jpg

Click on a device and you will see the IP address with a clickable link:

michaelkenward_0-1675939959855.png

You can also fix the IP address of your AP on the device itself and then it will always be on that address and easily got at. Try it and you will see that it is "Not Recommended"

michaelkenward_1-1675940275626.png

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7