Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NETGEAR Nighthawk(R) X4S R7800 - Can not properly reconnect to ISP's cable-modem

pszabo
Aspirant

NETGEAR Nighthawk(R) X4S R7800 - Can not properly reconnect to ISP's cable-modem

Hi All!

I've problem with my NETGEAR Nighthawk(R) X4S R7800 router.
My router can not reconnect properly to the internet after my ISP's Cable Modem is restartting.
Every time after modem restarts I can see a red Disconnected label under Basic / Home / Internet tab, and of course no internet access for my gadgets at home.
To get it work I have to go to the Advanced / Administration / Router Status page, there at Internet Port block I have to choose Connection Status, and within that popup I must click on Release than a bit later onto Renew.
Afterwards the net will start working fine.

Why my R7800 is not capable to reconnect automaticaly properly?

I have a older WNDR3400 router also - with DDWrt Firmware - and it's handling fine the cable modem restarts, but the R7800 is not.
WF version on the R7800 is the latest 1.0.2.92.

By the way when modem is restarted I can see the R7800's log as it first receives a class C IP first (192.168.100.x) than couple seconds later it receives the proper A class address from my ISP (89.133.x.x)
My modem is set to work in bridge mode and IPV4, and as I know it boots into normal mode first, than it switch to bridge. It's provided by my ISP (Vodafone Hungary), it's labeled as "Vodafone TG3442DE" but as I know inside it's an Arris modem. (Firmware version AR01.02.068.11_092320_711.SIP.10 , Hardware Type & Version 11 )

I appreciate any advice, idea about this issue!

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: NETGEAR Nighthawk(R) X4S R7800 - Can not properly reconnect to ISP's cable-modem

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch.

Message 2 of 7
pszabo
Aspirant

Re: NETGEAR Nighthawk(R) X4S R7800 - Can not properly reconnect to ISP's cable-modem

Hi FURRYe38,

Thanx for your reply. Here I'm answering for your questions inline.

"What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?"

There is no any other label on the outside just as I wrote previously:  "vodafone   TG3442DE"
As I know it's a  "Arris Touchstone TG3442DE"  modem

"Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. "

I'm using Cat5e cables since years without problem.

"Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?"

Yes, no help.

"Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn on computers and rest of network."

I did it several times.

"Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? "

Yes

"A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch."

I've done it already, no help.

You've to know, I'm an IT engineer (SW developer) and I'm over of all the basic things. I've used the R7800 via my ISP's older modem (a Compal modem for 500mbits), and I did not experience any issue. If the modem has been restarted sometime, I do not even realize it.
But now, with this vodafone / Arris modem which I got for the 1000mbits subscription I've got this issue. 

Due to some ISP side problem the modem restarted itself very often (1-2-3 times / day) and every time I had to use the Release than Renew feature to get proper internet connection. Of course if I reboot the R7800 that also solved the problem.

Even after couple hours later the router does not properly reconnect -by itself-.  (only manual relese/renew or reboot helps)

The strange thing is that my old WNDR 3400 (with dd-wrt) does not produce such problem, that is simply reconnecting after the modem restarts. (no need to release/renew or reboot)

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem. https://kb.netgear.com/25891/DMZ-on-NETGEAR-routers
https://kb.netgear.com/24086/How-do-I-set-up-a-default-DMZ-server-on-my-Nighthawk-router
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router.
https://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode

Might try option #2 first...

Message 4 of 7
pszabo
Aspirant

The modem is configured to work in bridge mode as I wrote at my original post!

ISP configured it to me as this config is restricted from the end users.

With bridge mode it's WiFi is also disabled. (That also not configurable by the end users)

My configuration works as you describe in Option #1.
Option #2 also not useful, as the modem's admin page is very-very restricted by the ISP.

(There is no such option as DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through.)
I do not want to degrade the R7800 to act as a simple AP, so Option #3 is also not applicable.

My question in a simpler form: why the R7800 can not reconnect properly, while the WNDR 3400 can?   (Very same modem, with the very same modem configuration)

I'd not be not too happy if I'd need to put ddwrt -or some other custom router firmware- to my R7800.

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you set the ISP modem for router mode then try option #2 with the R7800.

Does your ISP require any kind of WAN configuration with a user name and PW on the WAN account side by chance? 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn on computers and rest of network.

DMZ or IP Pass thru is only seen on modems while there in Router mode. 

You can definitely put 3rd party FW on the R7800. I like Voxels. 

Message 6 of 7
Kitsap
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You can definitely put 3rd party FW on the R7800. I like Voxels. 

For reference...

I can recommend the Voxel firmware for the R7800.  Have been using it for years.  Most users that install it, never look back.  It is essentially a polished version of the stock firmware.  It is very easy to give it a try and very easy to go back to stock if you do not like it.  Be sure and review the Readme file at the top of the Voxel site for background.  There is an active Voxel area over on Small Net Builders forums.  See attached screen snip.  Links below.

http://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/html/index.html 

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-98sf.81528/ 

As a comment on your issue, there is a significant technology gap between your WNDR router and the R7800.  The cold startup sequence between the devices is important and not the same for all configurations.  For my setup to connect to the internet, I have to have the modem powered off and the router booted up with the internet connection led dark before I boot the modem.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7