Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NIghtawk doesn't connect anymore to R7000

maxmonz
Aspirant

NIghtawk doesn't connect anymore to R7000

Every day I regret to have bought a Netgear router.

This morning it was impossible to access the router admin interface. Internet was on and working but I was unable to access the admin page. It's not the first time. Ridiculous.

So I rebooted the router and now I can access the admin page from browser. But Nightawk says the password I use on browser is not valid so I'm unable to connect Nightawk to my router.

Is there something working with Netgear products? Now what can I do?

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 16
plemans
Guru

What actual firmware version are you on? 

have you tried the default login info: 

Default login: admin

password: password

all lower case. 

Maybe it updated firmware and reset itself. 

Message 2 of 16
maxmonz
Aspirant

The router didnn't reset. It's working and I can access the administration interface from a browser. The firmware Is the last. Everything worked until today. The login Page was unreachable from the browser and so the app was unable to connect. I rebooted the router. From browser everything Is ok. The app Is **bleep**ed.
Message 3 of 16
plemans
Guru

@maxmonz wrote:
The router didnn't reset. It's working and I can access the administration interface from a browser. The firmware Is the last.---what actual version are you on? A number is better than "the latest/last" because the r7000 is known to not update regularly.  Everything worked until today. The login Page was unreachable from the browser and so the app was unable to connect. I rebooted the router. From browser everything Is ok. The app Is **bleep**ed.

You're able to log into it now? Or not?

You just can't use the app?

did you try factory resetting and starting over? 

Message 4 of 16

@maxmonz wrote:
The firmware Is the last.

If you mean "latest" –  let's hope it isn't the last – that means nothing. The only true guide is the number.

Message 5 of 16
maxmonz
Aspirant

Ok,

the firmware is V1.0.11.130_10.2.118.

To answer to other questions: yes I can login from a browser and yes I can't just use the app.

I'm not going to factory reset because I'm not totally blocked and by teh way I think it's crazy resetting the router becuse bad programming in firmware or app. I can't accept the browser logs in (so password is correct) and the app doesn't.

I'm sorry to say that but I'm very disappointed by Netgear. This is one of many problems I had.

Ok, I always solved and made everything working but when you spend money for a device as R7000 you expect it works perfectly and to get support in case of issues (like other companies do).

Is it acceptable, in your opinion, that sometime (randomly) the web interface of router is unaccessible?

Is it acceptable, in your opinion, that someday, rebooting after firmware update, the router was reset and I had to restore config?

Is it normal, in your opinion, that sometime, when you run firmware update the interface show updating forever and you don't know if reboting or not? And when you reboot you discover the firmware was not updated?

Message 6 of 16

@maxmonz wrote:

Is it acceptable, in your opinion, that sometime (randomly) the web interface of router is unaccessible?

No. But these things are rarely random. There is often an underlying cause to this sort of behaviour. As it is, you have provided too little detail for anyone to begin to track down why, or even if, your router misbehaves and why the graphical user interface is inaccessible.

A key question that no one has asked before is the make and model of the modem, if there is one, in front of your router.

In general your messages are vague. Things like "The login Page was unreachable from the browser and so the app was unable to connect" miss out on important details.

These things usually throw an error  message or prompt of some sort.

Then there is the type of browser and the operating system. Some combinations have been know to cause problems.

It even too several attempts to get you to tell us what firmware you have.

the firmware is V1.0.11.130_10.2.118.

That isn't the latest:

R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.11.134 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 7 of 16
maxmonz
Aspirant

I upgraded the router to the latest firmware version but the NIghtawk app still refuse to connect.

It says to reboot the router but it makes no sense because the router of course rebooted after firmware upgrade.

Message 8 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 9 of 16

@maxmonz wrote:

I upgraded the router to the latest firmware version but the NIghtawk app still refuse to connect.

It says to reboot the router but it makes no sense because the router of course rebooted after firmware upgrade.

Can I remind you of an earlier question?

A key question that no one has asked before is the make and model of the modem, if there is one, in front of your router.

Without an answer to that, we are all left in the dark.

Message 10 of 16
maxmonz
Aspirant

Yes of cource there is a moden since the R7000 is only a router.

The modem is provided by italian Telecom. Is a TIM hub (https://www.tim.it/assistenza/assistenza-tecnica/guide-manuali/modem-timhub#:~:text=Il%20modem%20TIM....)

By the way I don't understand the role of modem in this problem.

The Nightawk app should connect to the R7000 through wifi network which is provided by the R7000 its self.  Isn't it?

Message 11 of 16
plemans
Guru

sorry, don't read italian but it sure likes like that tim hub has its own integrated router into it. 

It can cause a double nat and appp issues. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions.
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 12 of 16

@maxmonz wrote:

By the way I don't understand the role of modem in this problem.

The Nightawk app should connect to the R7000 through wifi network which is provided by the R7000 its self.  Isn't it?

Perhaps that is why you did not answer the question. @plemans has explained why the modem can be the problem. It isn't a  modem. It is a modem/router.

Look at the back. It has four ethernet ports. That means "router".

This can explain the symptoms that you see. You have two devices on your network trying to manage the traffic. As your network to go to an IP address – something like 192.168.1.1 – and which one do you think should handle that?

The manual for your modem/router (Accesso all'interfaccia Web del Modem) says that you should use that address. So does the manual for your R7000.

Now can you see why the role of the modem is important?

Follow the advice from @plemans on how to set up your network to avoid these conflicts.

Message 13 of 16
maxmonz
Aspirant

Ok guys, I'm not so stupid as you think.

I know exactly what a router and a modem are and I know exactly how my network is configured. And It works perfectly. The router is connected to the modem. I have two different networks: 192.168.0.1 (from the modem/router) and 192.168.1.1 from the router (R7000).

Everything works perfectly. I know the double NAT problem and indedd I double NAT ports. No problem.

Maybe you didn't get the point. The Nightawk app worked perfectly until few days ago when the R7000 decided to not prompt me for login to the admin page from the browser (chrome but the browser means nothin) and so did the app.

What I did was rebooting the R7000 as I did other times because of formware updates or simply because I turned it off.

After the boot I was able to log in from the browser (this issue happens sometime, randomly without a reason but after reboot everything works).

The real issue is Nightawk app, for the first time since years, decided to no log in to the router.

When I say the modem/router/gateway I use to get Internet connection has not a role in that is because I have this configuration since years ago and I never had problems. Ok? The app use wifi which is provided by the R7000 (the modem has wifi turned off). The network I use is only 192.168.1.0/24. Everything works. I don't have any problems. THE PROBLEM IS NIGHTAWK APP AND R7000. There is no other way.

Thank for your attention

Message 14 of 16
plemans
Guru

the last couple updates to the r7000 "fixed security vulnerabilities" and the app gets updates to fix security issues. 

You don't think a double nat situation causing a vulnerability could have been one of the fixes?

tough to know since they don't release  whats been fixed.

Have you tried one of the options to fix the double nat to see if it fixes the issues? 

If not, its a bit pointless to continue on this thread as we can't fix the app or change the coding in the firmware. 

Message 15 of 16
maxmonz
Aspirant

I don't see security issues in double NAT.

I have a firewall on the modem/router and I NAT only what I need to the router R7000 and there there is another firewall and another NAT. Honestly i can't see the problem.

By the way the app don't should use any NAT because is supposed to work only inside the LAN with local ip.

I received the advice from Netgear to hard reset the router and try again from scratch.

It's something similar someone of you wrote telling to disconnect both router and modem and to start step by step.

Maybe I'm gonna try when I can. Sinche I'm working I need my connection and my network always up.

Thanks anyway for your support. 

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure this is the tipical absurd issue that nobody can explain and the "reset" is the only hope.

It happens often with software.

Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7