Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Need Help after Factory Reset on NIghthawk Router

StElmoQn
Aspirant

Need Help after Factory Reset on NIghthawk Router

Had to physically relocate my desk and computer components yesterday and now for some reason my wired ethernet connection is shot.  I can still log on wirelessly and my ISP walked me through many steps last night to try and reset my system.  It was suggested (and I highly concur) the problem is with the router.  I get an error message that the IP address cannot be configured properly despite the ISP's tech support having me manually input an IP address.

I just performed a factory reset on the router but still cannot log in to it.  I'm not a techie who can go in and fiddle with things so I'm looking for help!

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 29

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@StElmoQn wrote:

I prefer to run the modem as a bridge and use my Nighthawk as the true router.  That being said, what exactly will be the setup?

... and then the NIghthawk and the CenturyLink modem are connected from LAN port to LAN port.

Connecting the modem to a Nighthawk LAN port only works if the modem is routing.  A LAN port from the CenturyLink modem needs to be connected to the Nighthawk's Internet port.  

Note that you can connect it up this way and get it working even if the modem isn't in bridge mode.  Some advanced functions (particularly port forwarding) become more difficult.  But you should be able to get internet connections up and running.  If routerlogin.net fails to connect, try switching over to 192.168.1.1.

Then you can switch the modem to bridge mode as a second step.  

Note that if the modem is also providing cable TV services there might be some loss of services when switching to bridge mode.  I don't think that will be an issue with CenturyLink, but you might want to confirm that.  My own ISP (Verizon FIos) uses their router to provide the program guide, video on demand, and some DVR services. So I use my Netgear router behind theirs (double-routing).  So it is possible to leave the modem in router mode if that is necessary.  

View solution in original post

Message 26 of 29

All Replies
LeeH
Prodigy

Which router do you have?

When you performed the reset did you hold in the reset button on the back of the router for at least 10 seconds until the power light turned orange and started to blink?

Have you tried www.routerlogin.net?

Message 2 of 29
StephenB
Guru

You are still reaching the internet wirelessly, correct?

Was that IP address you configured manually an IP address for the PC or was it for the router?

What router model is this?

Message 3 of 29
StElmoQn
Aspirant

Yes I held the button in for at least 10 secobds when I reset the R7000 Nighthawk because I lost my network name and defaulted to a NetgearXX name. The IP address that was manually configured was an Iv4 specifically for the router. We did something with winsock last night as well.
Message 4 of 29
StephenB
Guru

And the IP address error message is coming from the PC? Or is it on the router web ui?

Message 5 of 29
StElmoQn
Aspirant

Ip message is coming from running windows diagnostics and a page popping yp from Netgear.
Message 6 of 29
StephenB
Guru

@StElmoQn wrote:
Ip message is coming from running windows diagnostics and a page popping yp from Netgear.

That is strange that you are seeing both.  Is "Netgear" the router, or is it an application running on the PC (Genie for instance)?

Do you know what the ISP did to the winsock?  Do you have another wired device you can try?

Message 7 of 29
StElmoQn
Aspirant

I am still having problems.  I'm not sure what CenturyLink did with the setting on my laptop/router/modem.

I did try taking the router off of the modem and the docking station and connected directly to the laptop by ethernet and was able to get to the routerlogin.net page.  However, when I got to the place to try and re-establish an internet connection, I ran into trouble.  It asked for a MAC address that might have previously worked with another router or modem, and I tried both the modem's MAC from bottom of the modem,as well as pull out the old Netgear router we used prior to the Nghthawk and used the MAC address from it to no avail.

Wireless works fine, but now that I've done a factory reset on the NIghthawk, I've lost my Network name, log in and also have been disconnected from our Smart Tvs/Directv.  I need to get this fixed.

Should I try getting the Gearhead Support by phone and let them log in remotely?

Message 8 of 29
LeeH
Prodigy

First lets's get the router back up on the internet.  Did your ISP issue you an IP address that you have to put into the router?  When you put that MAC address in a bet you needed to put in the MAC address of your current Nighthawk router.

Message 9 of 29
StElmoQn
Aspirant

Truthfully I am not sure if they gave me an IP address. I did not even think about putting the MAC addresss of the Nighthawk back in.

I will have to disassemble the router and modem again though since the only way I can get into the router log in psge is by connecting directly to my laptop with an ethernet cable.

Will give that a go here shortly and report back.
Message 10 of 29
StElmoQn
Aspirant

I tried again...to no avail.

I took the laptop connections apart again and hooked the router directly to it with the ethernet cable.  I could log in wirelessly to the admin pages but still could not connect to the internet through a wired connection.

I'm pretty sure I remember now that CenturyLink did have me go in and fiddle with the IPv4 and subnet but I can't remember what they did.

At least I can still get on wirelessly but it's a pain because I need to go in and rename my Network and password so that I can get hooked up to Directv and On Demand again, not to mention the diminished speeds of being on wireless.

Message 11 of 29
StephenB
Guru

@StElmoQn wrote:

I'm pretty sure I remember now that CenturyLink did have me go in and fiddle with the IPv4 and subnet but I can't remember what they did.

In the router, or in the PC?  Do you know what IP address range the router is using?

@StElmoQn wrote:

At least I can still get on wirelessly but it's a pain because I need to go in and rename my Network and password so that I can get hooked up to Directv and On Demand again, not to mention the diminished speeds of being on wireless.

You can set the wifi network name and passphrase to match your old router.

What wireless speeds are you seeing?

Message 12 of 29
StElmoQn
Aspirant

Truthfully I don't remember exactly what CenturyLink had me do because I did so much.

My speeds right now on wireless are 29.58 download and 2.39 upload, not horrible for 40 mbs DSL but diminished enough I feel it.

I had a thought but can't remember if it was set up that way, or if I had a bridge connection between my router and modem.  I don't think I did, it seemed that each had its own IP address.

Any thoughts on how I can fix this appreciated.

Message 13 of 29
StephenB
Guru

Can you give us the manufacturer/model number for the modem?

Message 14 of 29
StElmoQn
Aspirant

It is an Actiontec C1000A
Message 15 of 29
StephenB
Guru

That is a modem-router (what we call a gateway here).

If you look at the R7000 home page (select the advanced tab) you can see the R7000's public IP address (in the internet port box).

Does that address start with 192.168.x.x, 10.0.x.x, or 172.16.x.x?

Message 16 of 29
StElmoQn
Aspirant

I will have to unhook everything again and put the R7000 straight to my laptop. Still can't get to homepage any other way.

Will let you know what I find.
Message 17 of 29
StephenB
Guru

@StElmoQn wrote:
I will have to unhook everything again and put the R7000 straight to my laptop. Still can't get to homepage any other way.

Will let you know what I find.

You can also connect the modem directly to your laptop, and look at the IP address of the laptop.  That will give the same information.  I am checking to see if the gateway is in bridge mode or not.

If the gateway is also routing (not in bridge mode), you might be better off putting the R7000 in AP mode.  That might not fix your home page though.

Message 18 of 29
StElmoQn
Aspirant

Thanks.  How exactly do I check the IP of the laptop once I have just the modem connected?

Message 19 of 29
StElmoQn
Aspirant

Interesting.  I just noticed that the network symbol in the tray just switched to wired ethernet when the modem was directly connected but is showing up as an unidentifiedi network.

Message 20 of 29
StElmoQn
Aspirant

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]
(c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>Ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : Home
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::156c:38ad:6cab:15af%20
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::982d:b561:a2a8:f97%7
   Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.15.151
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 3:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Tunnel adapter isatap.{30994F15-2BAA-4491-8498-141EA730F32B}:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.2%11

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d0b5:3ee:7ea4:8e96%4
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Tunnel adapter isatap.Home:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : Home
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.0.2%5

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 2:

Tunnel adapter isatap.{6EE0CFEB-B814-43EF-B7A9-C3BBA04C9BB2}:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Message 21 of 29
LeeH
Prodigy

It looks like your wired connection is to the modem running in router mode 192.168.0.2.  And your wireless connection is to your Netgear router 192.168.1.2.

You need to tell your ISP to configure you modem in bridge mode.  And then make sure all your wired connections are connected to your Netgear router.  You must run one cable from your modem to the yellow WAN port of your Netgear router. 

After the ISP configures the modem as a bridge you must also follow a certain sequence to turn on everything.  First turn on the modem and give it a couple of minutes for it to finish booting up.  Then turn on the router and give it time to boot up.  After that you can turn on your computers and other devices.

Message 22 of 29
StephenB
Guru

http://www.routerlogin.net
@LeeH wrote:

It looks like your wired connection is to the modem running in router mode 192.168.0.2. 

I agree, and that is what I wanted to check.  Note I specifically asked for the laptop to be connected to the modem ethernet for this test.

Also, this confirms that the Nighthawk's current IP address is 192.168.1.1  Even if http://www.routerlogin.com. or http://www.routerlogin.net fail, you should be able to reach the Nighthawk's login screen using http://192.168.1.1

@LeeH wrote:

You need to tell your ISP to configure your modem in bridge mode...

That is one option.  

You can also switch the Nighthawk router over to AP mode, and leave your modem alone.

There are instructions here: https://kb.netgear.com/24104/How-do-I-change-my-Nighthawk-router-to-AP-mode-after-I-ve-already-run-s...

After it's in AP mode, it will have a 192.168.0.x address. You'll need to log into the modem router (http://192.168.0.1) to see that address, and to manage routing functions (like port forwarding).

Message 23 of 29
StElmoQn
Aspirant

Stephen and Lee,

Thanks for the diagnosis.

I prefer to run the modem as a bridge and use my Nighthawk as the true router.  That being said, what exactly will be the setup?

My docking stations (Targus ACP71USZ 3.0 USB) currently has the ethernet connected to the internet port of the Nighthawk, and then the NIghthawk and the CenturyLink modem are connected from LAN port to LAN port.  Of course the DSL line is going into the modem.  Is this how the set up should remain for a wired ethernet connection or should the ethernet go from the Targus dock to the modem?

Please advise and I will get back into touch with my ISP to get this done and dusted.

Many many thanks to you both.

Message 24 of 29
StElmoQn
Aspirant

Just tried logging into the router at http://192.168.1.1 and get error message that the computer appears to be correctly connected but device is not responding.

Now what????

Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7