Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Need Help after Factory Reset on NIghthawk Router

StephenB
Guru

@StElmoQn wrote:

I prefer to run the modem as a bridge and use my Nighthawk as the true router.  That being said, what exactly will be the setup?

... and then the NIghthawk and the CenturyLink modem are connected from LAN port to LAN port.

Connecting the modem to a Nighthawk LAN port only works if the modem is routing.  A LAN port from the CenturyLink modem needs to be connected to the Nighthawk's Internet port.  

Note that you can connect it up this way and get it working even if the modem isn't in bridge mode.  Some advanced functions (particularly port forwarding) become more difficult.  But you should be able to get internet connections up and running.  If routerlogin.net fails to connect, try switching over to 192.168.1.1.

Then you can switch the modem to bridge mode as a second step.  

Note that if the modem is also providing cable TV services there might be some loss of services when switching to bridge mode.  I don't think that will be an issue with CenturyLink, but you might want to confirm that.  My own ISP (Verizon FIos) uses their router to provide the program guide, video on demand, and some DVR services. So I use my Netgear router behind theirs (double-routing).  So it is possible to leave the modem in router mode if that is necessary.  

Message 26 of 29
StElmoQn
Aspirant

Connecting the modem to a Nighthawk LAN port only works if the modem is routing.  A LAN port from the CenturyLink modem needs to be connected to the Nighthawk's Internet port.  

Stephen!

Just correcting this connection FIXED my problem!  I now have the ethernet cord from the Targus docking station going into a LAN port, and the Century Link modem is now connected to the Nighthawk internet port.  Immediately the wired ethernet connection returned and I can log into my router again!

Thank you so very much for all of your help!!!

Message 27 of 29
StElmoQn
Aspirant

One last question...I promise!

I know I need to go back in and change the name of my wireless network back after doing a factory reset on the Nighthawk, but I wondered if there is also a way to changed the name of the wired network from NetgearXX to something else?

Message 28 of 29
StephenB
Guru

@StElmoQn wrote:

, but I wondered if there is also a way to changed the name of the wired network from NetgearXX to something else?

My Windows systems actually don't name the wired network itself.  But if wifi is enabled, they still use the wireless network name, with the both the wifi connection and "local area network" listed.

So if the wifi network is called NetgearXX, all you should need to do is change the wifi network name (and of course update the connection info on the PCs and other clients).

Message 29 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7