Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need help!! How do I connect a wifi access point to a r7800 wirelessly?? ;-)

Mr_DJ
Apprentice

Need help!! How do I connect a wifi access point to a r7800 wirelessly?? ;-)

Hello, good people in these forums!  😉

My task is this:  Connect at recently bought outdoor, non-wifi, surveillance camera to my Netgear r7800 2,4GHz wifi network!  By connecting the camera(through ethernet cable) to a external wifi acces point!  🙂

And since I don't have past experience with this, plus my brain is not working too well these days(stress, depri), I would appreciate very much, if a kind soul could muster up the energy to help me out with this little project!  😄

And to make it as easy as possible to help me, here is some quick info and links:

Wifi AP = TP-Link EAP110 (outdoor version)

Direct link to PDF manual on TP-Link site = https://static.tp-link.com/upload/manual/2022/202210/20221019/1910013169-EAP110_UG.pdf 

Link to download section on TP-link site = https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/eap110-outdoor/ 

Link to r7800 section with manuals on Netgear site = https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r7800.aspx#docs 

I had initially hoped the steps was as simple and easy as simply loggin in to either the r7800 router or the AP, and do a simple search for WIFI SSID and then choose "connect" and insert password and BOOM done!! 

But it seems the process is a bit more advanced than that....so hope someone has the knowledge to help me do this.....also, hopefully doing it without leaving any potential security holes open!  😉

I can access the webinterface of both devices(using cable) and have firmware updated the AP to latest version...aaaand, that's about it!  Have currently no clue, as to which settings I need to change in both devices, for them to be able to "see" or communicate with each other!  Help!  🙂

Kind regards

Daniel

Message 1 of 4

Re: Need help!! How do I connect a wifi access point to a r7800 wirelessly?? ;-)

@Mr_DJ wrote:

Hello, good people in these forums!  😉

My task is this:  Connect at recently bought outdoor, non-wifi, surveillance camera to my Netgear r7800 2,4GHz wifi network!  By connecting the camera(through ethernet cable) to a external wifi acces point!  🙂

Forgive me if I don't dive all over the Internet looking for manuals for different brands.

What you are talking about in general is using the R7800 as a router that has a wifi "bridge" to another router.

Manuals are always a good place to start.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual Use the Router in Bridge Mode

Now dig out the manual for your other device and look for the details on how to use that in the same way.

Be warned, not all routers offer the choice of bridge mode. So it may not be possible with your TP-Link.

There is another option that you could investigate. Powerline Ethernet lets you use your mains circuit as an Ethernet link.

Message 2 of 4
Mr_DJ
Apprentice

Re: Need help!! How do I connect a wifi access point to a r7800 wirelessly?? ;-)

Hello and thank you for feedback!  🙂

Quote: "Forgive me if I don't dive all over the Internet looking for manuals for different brands..."

You don't have to, I already provided direct links in my original post to each network product(Router+access point)...to help save time, for those truly wanting to help me!  😉

I usually am the one helping others on this(and a lot of others forums), but as I stated, I currently am facing some brain issues(can't focus on what I'm reading and information gets lost in translation  😉  ), which is not very pleasant!.

I don't really have the ressources/energy for this project, but since it's a matter of emergency(mentally ill neighbour who threatens to kill and do violence), I need to setup a survelaince camera, so I can protect myself and closest neighbours...and provide evidence for the cops to take action.  Hope I made myself more clear for everyone reading my thread!  🙂

If you cant help, that is okay....hope someone else who can, reads my thread then!  🙂

I already(before creating this thread) tried setting the Netgear to "bridge mode", but didnt see any helpful settings emerge. Regarding the AP, well, it only seems to have Access Point as the only selectable mode(not at big surprise, I would think?  🙂  ).

And this is where my brain shut down....as I don't have the energy to read up on all the details on what is required to make a reuter and acces point able to communicate with each other and what settings should be configured in each, in order to do this...but I figured the steps are probably few and pretty quick to perform.....once you know how to do it!  😉

Message 3 of 4

@Mr_DJ wrote:

And this is where my brain shut down....as I don't have the energy to read up on all the details on what is required to make a reuter and acces point able to communicate with each other and what settings should be configured in each, in order to do this...but I figured the steps are probably few and pretty quick to perform.....once you know how to do it!  😉

Forgive me, you expect us to read manuals for devices that have nothing to do with Netgear, but you don't have the time to read how to get a router and access point to cooperate in bridge mode.

There is no simple way to go about this. In this case, you should probably seek help from the people who made this third party access point. My guess is that it does not support what you are trying to achieve.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7