Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need help in upgrade solutions

Ray65PDX
Aspirant

Need help in upgrade solutions

I currently have a Netgear AC1900 R-7000 router that needs replacing, (7 years old). My IPS is Ziply Fiber, and they supplied a NON Coax DSL Modem that I wish to replace with a NON coax DSL or VDSL? Modem Router combo.

Finding a non coax Modem is about as impossible as finding an honest politician.

Netgear states the N600 is wireless, (non coax) on the interweb, but on their site here, the N600 model is Coax.......

Any suggestions/help/hints ?

Thank you to all that replies.

Ray65PDX@gmail.com

Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

Re: Need help in upgrade solutions

Why are you going from an AC1900 to a N600 device? 

Thats a large step backwards. (big one too)

And why doesn't zipply provide you with an ONT so you can connect whatever router you want to it? 

Did you check with them about an ONT or gateway?

Message 2 of 10
Ray65PDX
Aspirant

Thank you for the quick respons....

The N600 was a reference only for the last Non coaxial Modem I saw from Netgear.

What I want is a new Non Coaxial DSL VDSL Modem and Router combo.

Zipply power supply to the house is Non Coax, telephone type connector to their supplied Modem.

I wish to replace their Modem with one I own, and upgrade my old Router. A Modem and Router combo would be ideal, if I could find one with the Non Coax input.

Bottom line, if I cant find the right type of Modem, I'll live with Zipplys and get a new Router. Not ideal for what I want to have, but that's life......

Again, thank you for your insight and knowledge

Message 3 of 10
Kitsap
Master

Questions for Ziply.  Does Ziply allow end user owned modems to connect to their DSL network?  If yes, do they have a list of approved devices?  If no, it does not matter. 

Message 4 of 10

@Ray65PDX wrote:

A Modem and Router combo would be ideal....

Many experienced users would disagree with that.

Modem/routers have limited choice of router features. For example, you won't find one that can create a Mesh WiFi network.

A better option for many people is to have a separate DSL modem that they can connect to one of the dozens of routers out there. Routers don lt care what you throw at them – cable, DSL or optical fibre, even satellite.

The bad news is that Netgear and most brands seem to have abandoned the market for DSL modem-only devices. Maybe ISPs are leaning on them in the way that they have for cable modems. That certainly happened in the UK where the ISPs were told to supply combined modem/routers.

If you can lay your hands on something like the DM200, that would be a good choice. You can't buy new ones these days. Prices can be silly, but you may be able to lay hands on a second hand one. I bought one from an "open box" merchant. In reality it looked new, with all the usual packing and protection.

One or two modems are available. But as @Kitsap says a lot depends on your ISP.

By the way, don't get confused by this "Non Coax input" thing. If it is DSL it is DSL. (ADSL or VDSL.) That is the input that matters. It is, by definition, non coax.

Message 5 of 10
Ray65PDX
Aspirant

Thank you for that information, that sort of knowledge I severly lack.....With that said, I wondered if there was an adapter availabe to go from the DSL (RJ45?) to Coax. 

Looked on Google and did find one for RJ45 to Male coax adapter for just a few dollars. Seems that should work, to me anyway. So, I will order one, see what happens, and let this particular forum know the results. 

Hopefully, this may help you Guru's help another newbie with the same delima.

Thank you one and all for all help given 

Message 6 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

DSL requires the RJ11 phone connection for most DSL modems. Cable modems require the RG6 cable coax line to get services from Cable ISPs. Both are have specific requirements and protocols to make DSL modems or Cable modems work. They are not compatible with each other or cross adapter compatible thus will not work. So you have a DSL ISP service, you'll need a DSL modem specific to DSL ISP services. You'll need a cable modem that supports the Cable ISP services just the same. 

Message 7 of 10
Ray65PDX
Aspirant

*SIGH*.............Aint never easy, is it ? OK,,,,sounds like the best, or only solution is to keep Zipply's Modem and upgrade the old Router for newer. 

And, once again, thank you for your input, which saved me much time and great dissapointment in the end result of the Adapter that would not work

Message 8 of 10

@Ray65PDX wrote:

Hopefully, this may help you Guru's help another newbie with the same delima.

What are you trying to achieve?

You already have an anonymous modem that works with your anonympus Internet service provider (ISP). You already have the R7000 router

We still don't know what that modem it, or what the Internet service is, beyond your guess that it may be DSL connected to your unknown ISP.

I assume that the modem and router work together. The simplest upgrade would be to keep the modem and replace the router.

If it is DSL, replacing the modem won't gain anything in the way of faster performance.

Buying a "RJ45 to Male coax adapter" will just give you something else to add to the pile of spare plugs and stuff that you probably have lying in a box somewhere.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Correct. The R7000 is several years old and is getting to be out dated though some are still using it, one can find newer generation routers new or even used on Amazon for fairly inexpensive. I've scored some good used routers there. Got a MK63 MESH system for $80 bucks, XR1000 for just around $100. There are some things to check out that will work with your ISP modem. 

Might ask the ISP to ensure the modem is up to date or upgraded model as well. 

Good Luck. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7