Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need help sorting out settings with NightHawk R7000 regarding local Network setup

iFrog
Guide

Need help sorting out settings with NightHawk R7000 regarding local Network setup

Hi all,

I'm new to the community.  Typically I don't use forums to solve issues unless I can't find a solution indipendently.

First a little background:  I have generally been an AirPort Extreme user, as I've never been impressed with consumer routers outside Apple ones, as they would either be completely unstable software, or they would burn up and fail prematurly on a hardware level.  The airports just work.

Anyway with Apple discontinuing the Airport line, i was concerned more about regular security patches, so I decided to try the NightHawk R7000 as I've heard good things about NightHawk routers, and Iv'e had NetGear ProSafe switches that just work.

For the most part, the R7000 has been a good router with exception of a few unique issues that are most likely software conflicts, and may also have to do with me using Apple products.  (Mainly Apple TV is affected here, and the MrMC app). KODI clone for apple TV.

The main issue is, I'm not able to use SMB shares in MrMC, with the nightHawk as the  active router.  If I go back to the base station things return to normal.

With the R7000 as the active router, when setting up a share in MrMC, the App crashes (especially when I set it to use the specific library of Samba that's included with macOS.  If I turn this setting off, then Samba works with devices such as the Ready share function on the R7000, which, I really don't need or want, as my shares are handled by other devices.  I don't use MrMC a lot as i have other issues with it not related to this topic, but my concern is if the R7000 is causing things to malfunction like this, what else is it doing that I can't see.  When I return my 2013 AirPort Extreme as the main router, behavior goes back to normal.

Because I have had the R7000 beyond the return window, I can't just return it now, so I'm stuck with it.  Otherwise I would have, and done more research into a different router, or just  used the Airport, until I actually ran into non solvable problems.

Since this issue seems to be a software level problem, I've had a couple thoughts.

1.  What is the typical response in these communities  to removing stock firmware and flashing something like DD-WRT which seems to be well supported  on this model?

2.  I've considered just putting the R7000 away until I can find a fix for the problem and continue with the AirPort Extreme as it's working without problems.

Just to give a quick summery of settings, that could affect this:

UPNP Off

QoS Off

IPV6 Off

FYI: SMB is NOT completely broken with the R7000 as active Router, InFuse (Apple TV app) works as expected and supports up to SMB 3.

Plex Media Server also works without issue.  So, it may be an MrMC / KODI problem.  Either way, I always take caution when something that was working, stops.  I have software version 1.0.9.64 installed on the R7000, outside problems mentioned here, the router has been a decent device to use.

Looking forward to feedback, have a great day!

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
iFrog
Guide

Re: Need help sorting out settings with NightHawk R7000 regarding local Network setup

I'm making one more post to this thread to say I've resolved the issue.

I have chosen to stick with DD-WRT on the R7000 over the Negear stock firmware.  The issues I mentioned in the above post regarding wireless speed turned out to not be related to the router, or DD-WRT, but rather the device being connected to the wrong wireless channel.  In this case (2.4, instead of 5GHz.). After resolving that little issue, and putting the latest DD-WRT firmware on, the router has been rock solid.

Basically what I wanted in a router was the same choice I would get with any computer.  The hardware, and the choice of which OS to put on it.

In this case, the R7000 Hardware+DD-WRT seems to be a good solution.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies

Re: Need help sorting out settings with NightHawk R7000 regarding local Network setup

That's one hell of a list of things for people to have to plough through. I'll stick to this bit:

@iFrog wrote:

1.  What is the typical response in these communities  to removing stock firmware and flashing something like DD-WRT which seems to be well supported  on this model?

Netgear does not support third party firmware. Then again, it does not ban discussion of that stuff.

You won't get the Netgeart team advising on DD-WRT for example. And very few experienced users of that hang out here. The real experts gather over in the places where they write and use alternative firmware.

The volunteers here have a hard enough time keeping up with questions about Netgear's own firmware.

I'll leave it to others to unravel the rest of your message for questions.

Message 2 of 6
iFrog
Guide

Thanks for the response.  I do realize I wrote a lot, and for many here I'm sure it's probably too advanced or uniqe. That's one main  frustration I've run into quite a bit when it comes to finding help with consumer grade devices.  I'm an advanced user with experience and official trainin in networking, and computer repair, so while my experience may not be current. I usually understand things, and seek solutions, that are not within the scope of the typical consumer crowd.  Maybe a better question is, does NetGear offer any enterprise quality routers  over consumer grade?

If I hadn't settled on the Airport years back when I had all the different issues with other consumer routers, I was going to look at enterprise.

Even paying around $250 for a Lynksys business line router years back ( N days before ac) was a big disappointment, the firmware updates bricked the router.  Anyway I came here as it's a Netgear product, and I just wanted to also aknowledge that I understand that maybe my needs might also be above the scope of this particular community.  Hopefully there will be others that can help.  Thanks again.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 6
iFrog
Guide

I wanted to let everyone know that I resolved the issues I was having with the R7000 by changing the firmware from the Negear stock to DD-WRT.

I'm going to let the router run over night, but everything is looking and running very smoothly.

Message 4 of 6
iFrog
Guide

Hey all,

I'm sitll looking  some feedback regarding Samba and the R7000.  While DD-WRT solved the initial issue, I had couple other issues regarding wireless speeds.  I went back to the Netgear stock firmware.  The main thing I'm looking for is how to completely disable Samba on the netgear firmware.  DD-WRT by default has Samba and all the USB / sharing functions disabled.  The only other option I have to completely solve the issue for the time being, is to go back to my 2013 model Airport extreme.  Unless somone can tell me how to configure  the R7000 with no sharing functionality / samba enabled on the router. Thanks

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 6
iFrog
Guide

I'm making one more post to this thread to say I've resolved the issue.

I have chosen to stick with DD-WRT on the R7000 over the Negear stock firmware.  The issues I mentioned in the above post regarding wireless speed turned out to not be related to the router, or DD-WRT, but rather the device being connected to the wrong wireless channel.  In this case (2.4, instead of 5GHz.). After resolving that little issue, and putting the latest DD-WRT firmware on, the router has been rock solid.

Basically what I wanted in a router was the same choice I would get with any computer.  The hardware, and the choice of which OS to put on it.

In this case, the R7000 Hardware+DD-WRT seems to be a good solution.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7