Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear 8500 nighthawk 8X slow speeds

jplbvets
Aspirant

Netgear 8500 nighthawk 8X slow speeds

Hi There,

Set up: Desktop pc, Fast speed cable internet up to 100mbps. Modem: Motorlola Arris SURFboard SB 6141. Wirelles router 8500 nighthawk 8X.

Connections: From outlet cable on the wall to my arris modem. Ethernet cable to wireless router. With this set up and using a lap to the internet works, the wireless work and I get average speeds of 88 to 90 mbps.

Here is the issue: Same set us as indicated above. Connect my destop PC via ethernect cable to one of the port in the back of the wireless router (#3). Just by doing this simple thing and running a speed test on my internte I get consistently 1.4 mpbs downloa and far less on my upload. Disconnect my desktop PC from the router and speed is up.

I typically have my printer, my destop PC, and a lap top hook up directly to the eternet ports in the back of the wireless router - spped sucks :). Disconnet everythin from the wireless router and I get great speeds.

I have troube shoote the modem by itsel byu using it at work and my siter's home - no issues there - lynksys router.

The internet srvice has been solid in the area.

The ONLY thing I can think of is the router itself (latest sofware update and resetting, and rebooting already done - no sucess). Is there something within the settings that I need to enable or disable? I do have to extenders at home - never had any issue with them before. Suggestions? Thanks JP 

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
jplbvets
Aspirant

Re: Netgear 8500 nighthawk 8X slow speeds

Hi there,

What's the firmware version installed on your router? I dowloanded the lastest firware version from the Netgear website. I think is the: 

Where do you test your speed is it on the wired or wireless computer? I used the Xfinity and sppedtest.net web sites. Both provided comparable results.

How did you reset the router? I used the reset bottom and started everything from scratch multiple times. Used my laptop and desktop fro each independent trial.

To reset the router, I would suggest that you push the reset button at the back of the unit for 20 seconds. I only waited 10 seconds, but followed your advised and resetted waiting 20sec.

After that, reconfigure the router. I Reconfigure the router and work on the settings. By trouble shooting one-by-one, I figured out that if I unchecked the Dynamic QoS box, the router will work perfectly.  No issues since then. Now I have all my computers, phones, TV, etc hooked up without any issues and getting great speeds. Thanks so much for the help, suggestions, and recommendations.

In my case, resettign the router, trouble shooting that it was not the connection to my home, my modem, etc. I was able to figured out that in my case the solution was with the wireless settings selected during installation. Just for kicks - if I go back and check the Dymanic QoS box, the internet speed drops to 1.4 mbs. Unchecked it and I am back to 87 mbs 🙂

Thanks.

JP

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @jplbvets

What's the firmware version installed on your router?

Where do you test your speed is it on the wired or wireless computer?

How did you reset the router?

To reset the router, I would suggest that you push the reset button at the back of the unit for 20 seconds.

After that, reconfigure the router.

Message 2 of 5
jplbvets
Aspirant

Hi there,

What's the firmware version installed on your router? I dowloanded the lastest firware version from the Netgear website. I think is the: 

Where do you test your speed is it on the wired or wireless computer? I used the Xfinity and sppedtest.net web sites. Both provided comparable results.

How did you reset the router? I used the reset bottom and started everything from scratch multiple times. Used my laptop and desktop fro each independent trial.

To reset the router, I would suggest that you push the reset button at the back of the unit for 20 seconds. I only waited 10 seconds, but followed your advised and resetted waiting 20sec.

After that, reconfigure the router. I Reconfigure the router and work on the settings. By trouble shooting one-by-one, I figured out that if I unchecked the Dynamic QoS box, the router will work perfectly.  No issues since then. Now I have all my computers, phones, TV, etc hooked up without any issues and getting great speeds. Thanks so much for the help, suggestions, and recommendations.

In my case, resettign the router, trouble shooting that it was not the connection to my home, my modem, etc. I was able to figured out that in my case the solution was with the wireless settings selected during installation. Just for kicks - if I go back and check the Dymanic QoS box, the internet speed drops to 1.4 mbs. Unchecked it and I am back to 87 mbs 🙂

Thanks.

JP

Message 3 of 5
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for that update @jplbvets

Glad it's now up and running!

Message 4 of 5
Loudog2
Apprentice

But should he really not be able to use QOS? Especially with the cost of this router.  I would say it it not solved personally..

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7