Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Nighthawk 7000 Tomato Flashing

jaeholme
Tutor

Netgear Nighthawk 7000 Tomato Flashing

Hello all.  I am in an effort to install Tomato firmware on a new R7000 Nighthawk I just purchased (never been connected to the internet before).  After installing the initial file, I am no longer able to connect to the router.  I followed the instructions here:

https://www.myopenrouter.com/download/tomato-shibby-netgear-nighthawk-r7000-initial-flash-image

I installed the file "tomato-R7000-initial.chk."  After the router rebooted, I can see the network "NETGEAR52" and "NETGEAR52-5ghz"  from my laptop. When I try to connect to the 5ghz, it simply fails every time.  When I connect to the regular network, it asks for the Network Key.  I enter the key that comes with the router but it then fails to connect.  So, basically, I cannot connect to the router at all, so of course I cannot continue with the install.  Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.  

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions

Re: Netgear Nighthawk 7000 Tomato Flashing

@jaeholme wrote:

Sorry if this was not the right place for this question.

This is certainly the place for that questions. But the number of people qualified to answer it is limited. Most people here stick with the official firmware.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies

If this is an unofficial "hand-rolled" firmware, then you are probably in the wrong place for solutions.

The official support team is in no position to help, and while there are some people here who use custom firmware there are almost certainly more over in the places where they write that sort of stuff.

Having said that, you could search this place on Tomato firmware. If nothing else, that may tell you how to recover the standard firmware.

Message 2 of 8
TheEther
Guru

Probably wouldn't hurt to do a factory reset. This will erase any leftover, incompatible nvram settings from the stock firmware. Then try logging in Tomato's default account.
Message 3 of 8
bripab007
Tutor

You're probably in the wrong place for help on this, but after having flashed Tomato, reverted to stock and vice versa several times--I can assure you it works fine. One thing that catches some Tomato newcomers out is that DHCP server is disabled by default in Tomato, so you'll need to assign youself an IP manually (e.g. IP: 192.168.1.10. subnet: 255.255.255.0, gateway: 192.168.1.1) in the range of the router (which has IP 192.168.1.1).

Message 4 of 8
jaeholme
Tutor

Thanks - I'll look through some other tomato sites to see if I can get more info.  Sorry if this was not the right place for this question.

Message 5 of 8
jaeholme
Tutor

I tried to do a factory reset - there's a button in the back and I assume that's what you mean.  I've held it down with a paperclip for longer than ten seconds both when the power is on and the power is off.  It does not appear to visibly restart in eithe case.  I also figured out how to assign my wireless IP address so I assiged the IP/Subnet/Gateway as you indicated but it did not help (same inability to connect).

Message 6 of 8

@jaeholme wrote:

Sorry if this was not the right place for this question.

This is certainly the place for that questions. But the number of people qualified to answer it is limited. Most people here stick with the official firmware.

Message 7 of 8
bripab007
Tutor

Yes, sorry if I sounded rude in my response. I didn't mean that you shouldn't ask that sort of question here, just that it's probably not the best place to receive help.

You could try posting here at the main Tomato forum where the developers of the various Tomato variants hang out: http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?forums/tomato-firmware.33/

Or try here at the Netgear subforum of SmallNetBuilders: https://www.snbforums.com/forums/netgear-ac-wireless.53/

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7