Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Nighthawk R7000P eating bandwidth

clint66
Follower

Netgear Nighthawk R7000P eating bandwidth

Hi,

I have a Netgear Nighthawk R7000P and it's always been causing issues but today I reset it and reconfigured it from scratch with a new Netgear account and all. All the issues I was facing before have been fixed, except for two, and that is range and bandwidth.

I have a 50 Mbps connection, and I use the Nighthawk as a router and have the ISPs modems WLAN disabled to reduce interference since that was an issue. On the Nighthawk app, the speed test shows ~48 Mbps, but when standing next to the router, I get ~35 Mbps. The speed also fluctuates a lot. This morning I was getting a full 50 Mbps on my laptop on the upstairs floor and I was really impressed as I had just finished configuring the device.

By the evening, I am getting around 6 Mbps on the same laptop in the same location, but by this time I had 11 devices connected to the router. And in one spot in that room, the internet does not work. I have signal bars but it doesn't work. When I move slightly from that spot, it works.

Right now, I have a small sheet of foil under the antennas to boost signals upstairs. The router is mounted on a wall. Is there any settings I should check, and is there anything I can do to fix this?

Message 1 of 2

Re: Netgear Nighthawk R7000P eating bandwidth

@clint66 wrote:

I have a 50 Mbps connection, and I use the Nighthawk as a router and have the ISPs modems WLAN disabled to reduce interference since that was an issue.

What is that ISP modem? Is it in bridge (modem only) mode? Or is the R7000P in access point mode?

If not you may have two routers on your network.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Perhaps that caused the issues you had with the original setup.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7