Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000 - Factory Reset - Serial Number Missing

SuperHyphen
Aspirant

Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000 - Factory Reset - Serial Number Missing

I recently inherited the Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000 and its missing the label with all the information including the serial number.

I already hit the factory reset button and I am directly connected and tried to access the gateway 192.168.2.1.
I get the admin login screen, which I enter in the default admin password combo, then it asks for a Router Password Reset:
"We can help you reset your router's admin password. You need your routers serial number, which can be found on the router label. Enter your routers serial number in the field and click the Continue button."

Not sure how I can continue without the serial number as the label is not attached to the router.

Please help me.

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000 - Factory Reset - Serial Number Missing

Try a different browser. MS Edge, Firefox or Opera,

Be sure all browser caches are clear before the reset. 

Enter the routers web page at 192.168.1.1 not 2.1 after the reset. Be sure the press the reset button for 10-15 seconds then release.  

Message 2 of 6
SuperHyphen
Aspirant

After resetting the device 3 times. I am now able to get into the setup screen to continue the initial setup of the router.

This was a bit frustrating to say the least.

I am in the admin portal, question is where can I find the serial number in the admin portal?

I would like to not repeat the process the next time I need to run through a reset.

Thanks,

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Walk thru the setup wizard and be sure to write down important information for safe keeping. The setup wizard will guide you thru and setup a log in PW for the admin log in. 

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 4 of 6
Kitsap
Master

@SuperHyphen wrote:

After resetting the device 3 times. I am now able to get into the setup screen to continue the initial setup of the router.

This was a bit frustrating to say the least.

I am in the admin portal, question is where can I find the serial number in the admin portal?

I would like to not repeat the process the next time I need to run through a reset.

Thanks,

You can't.

Log in to your user interface using 192.168.1.1/hidden_info.htm.  Note the underscore character between hidden and info.  The serial number should be on the second line of the screen.  The word serial did not make it cleanly through translation.

Message 5 of 6
Kitsap
Master

As an addendum, if you install the Nighthawk mobile application, I use Android, and connect to your router you can get the serial number of your router.  Go to Menu -> About and it will provide your router serial number.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7