Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Nighthawk x6 R8000 failing to load websites

icpruleuk
Aspirant

Netgear Nighthawk x6 R8000 failing to load websites

On both my PC and phone websites fail to load then I refresh the page and they load, youtube videos and netflix fails to load the video stills just apearing as grey boxs and my cctv keeps loosing connection, these issues have only started since installing the new router.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 13
plemans
Guru

Since installing the new router or since updating firmware? 

What firmware version are you on?
What modem/gateway are you connected to? 

Message 2 of 13
icpruleuk
Aspirant

Since installing the new router, the nighthawk is connected to my virgin media superhub 3 which is running in modem mode, the firmware virsion of the nighthawk is 1.0.4.74.  

Followed all the standard setup, I'm pretty tech savvy and have tried all the usual things like resetting both superhub and nighthawk to factory, my PC is connected wirlessly but only 1m away from router and if I disconnect the nighthawk and connect directly to superhub the issues stop.

Message 3 of 13
plemans
Guru

The superhub is a modem/router combo device in itself. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

it causes a double nat. I've read of the rare person being able to get their superhub in passthrough/modem only successfully. 

But others have either had to resort to putting the netgears IP address into the superhubs DMZ or using the netgear in access point mode. 

Message 4 of 13
icpruleuk
Aspirant

the superhub is already running in modem mode only

Message 5 of 13
icpruleuk
Aspirant

What it feels like is a connection timeout, like the nighthawk is timingout a connection after a rediculosly short period of time, for example if i'm watching a youtube vid or browing a page it's fine but if I leave that page open but unused like this forum for example then come back and refresh it to see if theres a update it tells me no connection and I either have to refresh the page myself for it to load or it refreshes itself after a couple of seconds and loads. 

Message 6 of 13
plemans
Guru

2 things you could try. 

1. try downgrading the firmware a version on the r8000. I've seen a lot of devices having issues with dns resolving on that latest versions. 

2. try puttnig the superhub back in router mode (disable its wifi) and the netgear in access point mode. 

Message 7 of 13
robjak
Luminary

+1 on the DNS issues    

https://kb.netgear.com/000062760/R8000-Firmware-Version-1-0-4-68    should fix that.    Please post if you try this and it works. 

I am expecting a call from Netgear engineering to try to troubleshoot the DNS issues. Hopefully they will actually try to fix it.  There are multiple threads on this issue. started ~ Aug 1.   But if they just have me reinstall and reset i will lose it. 

Model: R8300|Nighthawk X8 AC5000 Smart WiFi Router
Message 8 of 13
robjak
Luminary

NETGEAR never called.  Their support sucks.  Time to give up on them.  

Message 9 of 13
robjak
Luminary

Netgear engineering finally called,  a day late.  I was not able to talk to them.  Finally was able to get them the info they needed to troubleshoot 2 days later.  Hopefully, they will now begin to really look into the DNS issue and fix the firmware. 

Message 10 of 13

I have been trying to get this resolved since July please read other thread , thanks

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R8000-Have-to-load-every-page-2x-after-insta...

Message 11 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

"https://kb.netgear.com/000062760/R8000-Firmware-Version-1-0-4-68    should fix that.    Please post if you try this and it works."

Message 12 of 13

have been using that version for over two months tried everything else and version 80 and 82 which are recent firmware both have same DNS problems.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7