Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear R7000 admin web interface failed to start after updating to latest 1.9 firmware

mjparme
Aspirant

Netgear R7000 admin web interface failed to start after updating to latest 1.9 firmware

I updated to the latest 1.9 firmware and when I did the admin web interface is no longer available. The wireless network itself came back up and can connect to the internet fine. I am up and running but would really like to have the admin web interface back. 

I have no idea which firmware version I updated to since I can't get on the admin web interface to see the version. I clicked on the banner that said "router firmware upgrade available" and it did its thing like it has dozens of times before. It was a 1.9.x_XX_XX_XX version though. 

Doing some basic network troubleshooting port 80 simply isn't available.

curl -v http://192.168.1.1
*   Trying 192.168.1.1...
* TCP_NODELAY set
* Connection failed
* connect to 192.168.1.1 port 80 failed: Connection refused
* Failed to connect to 192.168.1.1 port 80: Connection refused
* Closing connection 0
curl: (7) Failed to connect to 192.168.1.1 port 80: Connection refused

I also port scanned 192.168.1.1 (ports 1-65535) with Angry IP Scanner and the only ports it reports being open are:

631, 1990, 5000, 7272, 20005

I have tried restarting my router of course. The interface still isn't available. 

Is there someway to get the interface back? I supposed I could try rolling back my firmware to the previous version using tftp to update. That seems like it could be possible to brick it though so want to leave that as a last resort.

Is it possible the IP of the admin interface changed? I didn't see anything in the release notes about the admin interface changing IPs.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 12
antinode
Guru

Re: Netgear R7000 admin web interface failed to start after updating to latest 1.9 firmware

> I have no idea which firmware version I updated to [...]

I doubt that it matters much.  Whichever version it was, it's hosed
now.

> * Failed to connect to 192.168.1.1 port 80: Connection refused

Normally, "Connection refused" means that contact was made with the
target address, but nothing there was listening at the target port.  In
this case, the management web server appears not to be running.  The
usual explanation for that would be that the firmware is seriously
corrupt.

> [...] I supposed I could try rolling back my firmware to the previous
> version using tftp to update. That seems like it could be possible to
> brick it though so want to leave that as a last resort.

That's what I'd try; it's pretty close to useless as-is.

> Is it possible the IP of the admin interface changed? [...]

Conceivable, but "Connection refused" suggests otherwise.  If you
tried your test at a known-useless address (say, "192.168.1.57"), then
I'd expect some different error message.  _Somethings_ seem to be
listening at the default address, just not its httpd (port 80).

> [...] It was a 1.9.x_XX_XX_XX version [...]

If I had to choose a 1.9.xxx, it'd be V1.0.9.42_10.2.44, and then I'd
work my way up from there.  Probably to the latest
(V1.0.11.116_10.2.100?), and not necessarily gradually.

The next challenge would be getting the thing to be receptive to a
TFTP load when it's only stupid, not mostly dead.  If its Power LED were
flashing, then you might expect it to take a TFTP load without special
effort.  This way, you might need to play with the Reset button (to get
it into the mood), and/or with the timing of the TFTP-PUT command (to

catch it when it is).

Message 2 of 12

Re: Netgear R7000 admin web interface failed to start after updating to latest 1.9 firmware

@mjparme wrote:

I updated to the latest 1.9 firmware and when I did the admin web interface is no longer available. The wireless network itself came back up and can connect to the internet fine. I am up and running ...

This suggests that your R7000 is working as expected on the router front. So it might be worth a bit of investigation before diving into TFTP, not the easiest move to make.

The thing tries to help by warning you of seriously broken firmware, The power LED changes from the normal white colour. What do you see?

I see  no hint in your message that you have tried the factory reset.

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

There's a more through "recovery reset" that sometimes works, although not usually when the firmware itself reports problems.

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

This might get you back to where you can reflash the firmware with the normal process.

@mjparme wrote:

Is it possible the IP of the admin interface changed? I didn't see anything in the release notes about the admin interface changing IPs.

That can happen when the router boots and finds that it is trying to connect to something, usually a modem, that is already using the preferred default IP address.

Message 3 of 12
antinode
Guru

> [...] seriously broken firmware, [...]

Define "seriously broken".  "No httpd" sounds pretty serious to me.

> That can happen [...]

And when it does, would you expect the router (or something else) to
be listening at those ports at the default address?  And, presumably, be
working at that address as a router, DNS server, and so on?

But sure, try a settings reset.  I could be overly pessimistic.

Message 4 of 12
mjparme
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

I see  no hint in your message that you have tried the factory reset.

I considered a factory reset but if the admin interface doesn't come back after a factory reset then I am stuck with a brick since I will not be able to get in and set everything up. At this point the router is working as far as being able to connect devices to it and get on the internet with it. I don't want to make my problem worse.

As far as power LED it is a solid white.

I have no other devices on my network that provide an admin interface on 192.168.1.1. I use a WISP so I don't have a cable modem. The device my antenna on my roof connects to doesn't offer a web interface as far as I know. It is just a PoE device that powers the antenna.

Based on the open ports on 192.168.1.1 it seems like it is probably the router. Port 53 (DNS) is definitely something I would expect to see open on a router. Port 631 (Internet Printing Protocol) seems like something this router would have as well. The other 4 ports are curious though.

>nmap -p- 192.168.1.1
Starting Nmap 7.91 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2021-02-22 08:49 CST
Nmap scan report for 192.168.1.1
Host is up (0.0036s latency).
Not shown: 65529 closed ports
PORT      STATE SERVICE
53/tcp    open  domain
631/tcp   open  ipp
1990/tcp  open  stun-p1
5000/tcp  open  upnp
7272/tcp  open  watchme-7272
20005/tcp open  btx

I have actually had this router up on firmware 1.0.9 and 1.0.11 before. They were both so buggy I rolled back to 1.0.8. But I know there are security concerns with 1.0.8 so I decided to give 1.0.9 a go again. And now this. Every firmware past 1.0.8 for this router has been horribly buggy and I have actually ordered another non-netgear router because I am tired of the buggy firmware. I just have to nurse this one along for a week until it arrives. 

Message 5 of 12

To confirm that the router is on 192.168.1.1, because you have access to the wifi, you could track down the IP address of that. See if that lets you in.

I'm surprised you have had so much trouble with firmware on the R7000. It is one of Netgear's biggest sellers. Yes, people have issues with it, but not enough huge numbers to suggest it is terminally useless.

Message 6 of 12
mjparme
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

I'm surprised you have had so much trouble with firmware on the R7000. It is one of Netgear's biggest sellers. Yes, people have issues with it, but not enough huge numbers to suggest it is terminally useless.

It has served me well for several years and was a solid router up to and including 1.0.8 of the firmware. Everything past 1.0.8 has basically made it unusable (or at least very annoying). The last time I was on 1.0.9 I got repeated router reboots (a few times per day). So I went to 1.0.11. That solved the constant reboot problem but 1.0.11 had a problem where it would just randomly drop the WAN connection for a few minutes then it would magically come back with no action needed. It would do this several times per day. Rolling back to 1.0.8 solved all my woes. Kicking myself for trying to go back to 1.0.9 last night, should have left well enough alone.

Message 7 of 12
antinode
Guru

> I have no other devices on my network that provide an admin interface
> on 192.168.1.1. [...]

If you want to be sure, then connect a computer, only, to the router.
You don't need an Internet connection to talk to your own router.

What's the computer's IP address?  Presumably, "192.168.1.x"
(1 < x < 255)?

> [...] I use a WISP so I don't have a cable modem. The device my
> antenna on my roof connects to [...]

Not a very detailed description of that "device".

> [...] doesn't offer a web interface as far as I know. [...]

How far is that?

> [...] It is just a PoE device that powers the antenna.

I suspect that you're underestimating something.  A simple "antenna"
does not have an Ethernet interface.

If your router were working properly, then you might look at, say:
ADVANCED > ADVANCED Home : Internet Port : Internet IP Address, to get
some idea of to what you're connecting it.  (And where you might find

some other "web interface".)

> I have actually had this router up on firmware 1.0.9 and 1.0.11
> before. [...]

Neither of those is _a_ firmware version.  As I suggested,
V1.0.9.42_10.2.44 was found to be pretty satisfactory by many.

> [...] They were both so buggy [...]

Not a useful description of anything.

> [...] I just have to nurse this one along [...]

Doing nothing might be safer than doing something effective.

> To confirm that the router is on 192.168.1.1, because you have access
> to the wifi, you could track down the IP address of that. [...]

How, exactly, would that be more informative than the IP address of a
computer which is wire-connected to the R7000?

> [...] people have issues with it, but not enough huge numbers to
> suggest it is terminally useless.

"huge numbers" of users don't have a dead management web server.

Message 8 of 12
mjparme
Aspirant

You don't need an Internet connection to talk to your own router.

Obviously.

Not a very detailed description of that "device".

It is a white box about 2 1/2 x 1 x 1 inches. Has 2 ethernet ports and a plugin to provide it AC power. One ethernet port connects to the "Internet" port on the back of the router. The other ethernet port is connected by a very long Cat 6 cable to the antenna on my roof, this port is labeled "PoE". The only markings on it is "24V" (presumably it provides 24 volts to the antenna) and it has some stickers on it from my ISP with a support phone number.

How far is that?

It sits on the WAN side of my router so it is part of the ISP's network not mine. So I have no access to any web interface it may have and it certainly doesn't get an IP from the router. So this device may have an admin interface but it certainly isn't available on my network.

Neither of those is _a_ firmware version. 

The firmware download page shows downloads for 1.0.9.x and 1.0.11.x, I apologize for not remembering the exact x for versions I installed several months ago. Last night my router installed a 1.0.9_x_y_z. Again, I apologize for not memorizing the long string of digits.

Not a useful description of anything.

I am not asking for help for those issues so no further description was necessary. It would have just confused things.

Doing nothing might be safer than doing something effective.

What kind of condenscending comment is this? Both my spouse and I are currently working from home and I can't be more aggresive with my troubleshooting because bricking my device is not an option. If I had a backup router I would obviously be much more willing to try various things and wouldn't worry about potentially bricking it.  At this time all my devices can connect to the router and the router is providing me a route to the Internet. I simply don't have an admin interface which in the short term is fine, long-term I would like to have it back. Also, since I mentioned I use a WISP I am obviously rural so a store that sells routers is not just a quick trip around the corner. Making my problem worse by being aggresive with troubleshooting is not an option at this time.

Message 9 of 12

@mjparme wrote:

@michaelkenward wrote:

It has served me well for several years and was a solid router up to and including 1.0.8 of the firmware. Everything past 1.0.8 has basically made it unusable (or at least very annoying). The last time I was on 1.0.9 I got repeated router reboots (a few times per day). So I went to 1.0.11. That solved the constant reboot problem but 1.0.11 had a problem where it would just randomly drop the WAN connection for a few minutes then it would magically come back with no action needed. It would do this several times per day. Rolling back to 1.0.8 solved all my woes. Kicking myself for trying to go back to 1.0.9 last night, should have left well enough alone.

I would suggest checking messages here for favoured versions, but your use of those numbers makes it hard to comment.

There are four 1.0.11.X versions, more than a dozen 1.0.9.X. 

Message 10 of 12
mjparme
Aspirant

There are four 1.0.11.X versions, more than a dozen 1.0.9.X. 

It has been several months since I was on a 1.0.11.x version so I can't remember the specific version. Likewise, it has been a few months since I was last on 1.0.9.x so I can't remember the specific version I last tried.

As far as the 1.0.9.x that was installed yesterday, that caused my admin interface to not be available, I can't tell you what version it installed since I can't access the admin interface. It was also downloaded by the router's update functionality so I didn't personally click on a download link so can't provide any link that was used.

Message 11 of 12
antinode
Guru

> [...] It sits on the WAN side of my router so it is part of the ISP's
> network not mine. So I have no access to any web interface it may have
> [...]

Not necessarily true.  A DOCSIS cable-TV modem, for example, can
normally be accessed at "192.168.100.1", regardless of the router's LAN
subnet.  Practically the whole Internet is not on your LAN subnet, but
that's not generally a barrier.

> [...] I apologize for not memorizing [...]

In the words of Abraham Van Helsing, M.D., D.Ph., D.Lit., etc., etc.,
"[...] knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the
weaker."

> [...] no further description was necessary. [...]