Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Router Not Assigning IP Addresses

McClainACG
Aspirant

Netgear Router Not Assigning IP Addresses

Nighthawk (NH) Routers and IP Assignment Issues.

BLUF (Bottom Line Upfront): If You are Having Issues Suddenly with your Router NOT Assigning IP Addresses... Check and Change your DHCP Lease Time.

- Advanced Settings Tab

- Setup

- LAN Setup (Scroll to the bottom)

DHCP Lease Time (range: 1-24 hours)

DETAILS:

This morning when I woke up there had been a power drop in the evening and now I could not access the internet on any device. Full transparency, I have a smart home with 170 connected devices. I really only use the NH for DHCP as I have a 3k SF, multi-level house and the devices that use WiFi do so via 1 of 3 access points that are load balanced. All computers and anything that can use hardline... do.  After most of the day hunting the net-demon, I narrowed it back to the NH itself. I was pretty sure I was not getting DDoS'd and my wifi radio signal does not go beyond my driveway. I have one in-range neighbor who is NOT a techie.  After a full nuke and pave of the access points AND the NH, I managed to get the hardwired computers back and OCCASIONALLY some of the WiFi.

When I was ready to just junk the device and go a different direction... I figured it was worth a shot to TRY the Netgear support - even though I knew I was outside of my support window by a month.

As I was explaining the issue to the tech and presenting him my data points, I came to one data point. My iPhone. The NH was showing it as having a valid IP... but the phone was showing no connection AND a self-assigned.  Then I remembered a client of mine from many lifetimes ago.  A husband and wife who ran separate conjoined businesses with good-sized staffs. They were having this exact same issue. The problem turned out to be long leases on DHCP.

The NH, by default, has a 24-hour lease. If you are a "normal" user... this would likely never be an issue. But... if you are a "power user" or a business trying to use "home gear" where at very least you should be using SMB (Small-Medium Business) gear. You MAY, at some point, run into DHCP lease issues.

I dropped my leases from 24 hours to 1 hour and instantly my problem resolved. Now to figure out what the best time frame is?

Here is a GREAT article on short vs. long lease.

The key take away is: Short DHCP lease time has some advantages, especially for networks that have a high turnover of devices or a limited pool of IP addresses. Long DHCP lease time also has some benefits, mainly for networks that have a stable and predictable number of devices or a large pool of IP addresses.

Back to my situation. Remember, I have 170 network connected devices - on IPV4. That means I cannot have more than 255 devices in that IP range. Remember also that I mentioned the power thing. If I have 170 devices, all with 24 hour DHCP lease holds and most of those are non-static IoT devices, a power outage COULD result in 100+ devices "asking" for an address - again. If just 100 of my 170 did that... I would be at 270 and over the 255 cap in a snap.

Right now I am going to keep the leases at 1 hour and see if I run into issues with THAT.

Anyway, having seen all the posts about this over the years, I thought I would offer this up.  Do I guarantee it will work for your problem?  No.  But, if you are reading this far... you have tried other things and they have not worked.

... Tech on my friends. 

Message 1 of 2

Re: Netgear Router Not Assigning IP Addresses

@McClainACG wrote:

As I was explaining the issue to the tech and presenting him my data points, I came to one data point. My iPhone. The NH was showing it as having a valid IP... but the phone was showing no connection AND a self-assigned. 

The "self-assigned" bit in there is enigmatic – what was self assigned? – but any mention of an iPhone prompts this:

NETGEAR Mobile Applications and Apple Devices FAQ - NETGEAR Communities

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7