Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Router R9000 ethernet ports slowly stop working

shepsonlinee
Aspirant

Netgear Router R9000 ethernet ports slowly stop working

Firmware V1.05.42

Ethernet ports failing one by one.  How do I fix?

Message 1 of 5

Re: Netgear Router R9000 ethernet ports slowly stop working

@shepsonlinee wrote:

Firmware V1.05.42

Ethernet ports failing one by one.  How do I fix?

Hard to tell with so little detail.

What is happening?

Message 2 of 5
shepsonlinee
Aspirant

Thansk for replying.  My computer connects to the router via ethernet cable.  It has been working as intended until recently when my computer could not connect to the router (no internet).  I moved the ethernet conection to another port and the computer resumed normal operation.  Then a couple of days ago the same thing happened with the new port. I moved the connection to another port and normal operation resumed.  I have replaced the ethernet cable.

I have the latest available firmware.  Wifi is working fine.

Message 3 of 5

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

@shepsonlinee wrote:

I moved the ethernet conection to another port and the computer resumed normal operation.  Then a couple of days ago the same thing happened with the new port. I moved the connection to another port and normal operation resumed.

Have you rebooted the PC at any stage during your tests?

Have you tried going back to the first port?

My computer connects to the router via ethernet cable.  It has been working as intended until recently when my computer could not connect to the router (no internet). 

You should try to rule out the PC as the source of the problem.

What actually happens? If this is a Windows PC, it will usually show some sort of error message.

Have you tried running the network troubleshooter in Windows?

Windows likes to protect us from new networks that might be evil. In  reality, it often shuts us out of safe networks.

One thought is that you could tell Windows that you are on a "private network".

• Network and Internet settings
  • Network Status
  • Change Connection Properties
  • Network Profile
  • Private

After you rule that out, the next thing to try is a "factory reset".

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The factory reset is more a "witchcraft" move than a technically informed solution, but it does seem to fix problems. It is also the first thing that Netgear support will recommend.

The reset does wipe out any carefully created settings, so it might be a good idea to backup your current settings before you reset.

How do I back up the configuration settings on my Orbi WiFi System? - NETGEAR Support

Then, if the problem is still there you can at least roll back to your earlier settings. Even if it does work, you could try restoring the settings. That runs the risk of bringing back the fault. But at least you will know how to revive the device. Just reset it again.

If you still have problems, it may be time to consign the device to the great electronic recycling centre in the sky.

Message 4 of 5
shepsonlinee
Aspirant

Awesome thank you so much for all your help.  I'll work my way through the various processes over the weekend.

Greatly appreciate all the trouble you went to.

Cheers

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7