Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear does not support their product

kenlaz
Guide

Netgear does not support their product

After having bought several Routers from Netgear and many switches and other gear, I tried to get some technical support because there is a problem with WiFi bandwidth (wired bandwidth is fine), but they refused to help unless I paid $50.  Unbelievable.  Helllo TP-Link or Asus.  Perhaps someone can suggest the best non-Netgear Router.  Thanks.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
microchip8
Master

Go for an ASUS, the AC86U is the current sweet spot until AX routers mature. Avoid TP-Link as they abandon their models pretty fast

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
microchip8
Master

Go for an ASUS, the AC86U is the current sweet spot until AX routers mature. Avoid TP-Link as they abandon their models pretty fast

Message 2 of 8
James721
Luminary

Yes as Microchip stated go with Asus. There firmware support is light years better. Netgear just seems to have gave up and threw in the towel as far as firmware goes. Shame though they use great hardware. My place of employment has supplied me a Asus RT-AX58U and for a router no one is talking about this thing rocks with great speeds, coverage and no disconnects.  Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 8
labatt
Mentor

If going Asus make sure it is a model that RMerlin firmware supports. He adds features and fixes issues in the released firmware. 

Message 4 of 8

@kenlaz wrote:

...they refused to help unless I paid $50. 

This place is free.

Netgear also offers free support for 90 days.

Who did you call? If it was one of those sites found with a web search, then there is a high probability that it has nothing to do with Netgear.

Many of those listing are from third-party sites that pay to appear in the search engines. They then create sites that "borrow" the Netgear logo.

Those sites will also appear if you search for other makes of hardware. Using them can be dangerous.

Netgear farms out paid-for support to GearHead.

GearHead Support

Message 5 of 8
kenlaz
Guide

I called and was talking to Netgear support.  They are just aweful and a complete waste of time.  Even refused to let me speak to a supervisor.

@michaelkenward wrote:

@kenlaz wrote:

...they refused to help unless I paid $50. 

This place is free.

Netgear also offers free support for 90 days.

Who did you call? If it was one of those sites found with a web search, then there is a high probability that it has nothing to do with Netgear.

Many of those listing are from third-party sites that pay to appear in the search engines. They then create sites that "borrow" the Netgear logo.

Those sites will also appear if you search for other makes of hardware. Using them can be dangerous.

Netgear farms out paid-for support to GearHead.

GearHead Support

Message 6 of 8
kenlaz
Guide

Thank you for the helpful suggestion!

Message 7 of 8

@kenlaz wrote:

I called and was talking to Netgear support. 

You don't say who you called.

Netgear doesn't hand out a phone number that you can call, which upsets many of the people who turn up here.

There is no phone support. You do it via the support portal:

Contact Us | Support | NETGEAR

Start here:

MyNETGEAR | Product Registration

Start a case and, with luck, they will contact you.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7