Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear is slowing graffic

helotbc
Aspirant

Netgear is slowing graffic

I have a Nighthawk R7450. I get 600Mbps out of my cable modem. I get 400Mbps out of the router cable port and 250Mbps over wifi. I have read the cable and wifi ports are rated at Gbps speeds. Any ideas how I can increase the speed through the Nighthawk?

Message 1 of 3

Re: Netgear is slowing graffic

@helotbc wrote:

I have a Nighthawk R7450. I get 600Mbps out of my cable modem. I get 400Mbps out of the router cable port and 250Mbps over wifi.

How are you testing the wired connections? What firmware is on the R7450?

I'd expect nearer 600 Mbps for a wired device. As to wifi, 250Mbps is the best you will get for many wifi clients. You don't say what device you are using, or if this is 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz.

I have read the cable and wifi ports are rated at Gbps speeds.

Talk of Gbps wifi is misleading. Next to nothing will get that speed. Your devices may make a connection at that seed, but you won't get traffic flowing that fast, certainly not with the R7450 and its ageing wifi technology.

It might be worth a bit of background reading.

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6 (802.11 n/ac/ad/ax)

@duckware knows their stuff and can bust a few myths and cut through marketing hype.

Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear is slowing graffic

Make sure that qos, access control, traffic monitoring, and parental controls are all disabled on the R7450.

If they were enabled, try disabling them and rebooting the router. If that doesn't help, try a factory reset on it. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series